TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Rivian advertises itself different than most other consumer vehicles so the expectation is different.

obviously your expectation is different from mine.
Not sure I have ever seen a Rivian Advertisement. Jk.

I actually find this argument an interesting since it kind of acknowledges how great the vehicle is and how that creates an expectation of perfection. However, we must ask is that really reasonable for any product. All designs and products evolve.

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
I would start by trying the cheapest, easiest possible solution which is some sort of spray on coating that won't allow the ice to stick. Even if you had to re-apply a couple times per year that would be much simpler than the other options.
Try RainX.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Here in the PNW our snow is mostly on the warm wet and sticky side... So when driving in light to heavy snow flurries we get a lot of build up on our vehicles.. Well the R1T is no different... the big problem is at night the snow covers up the headlights and visibility goes to zero... I have experienced this twice now as we are getting into the snow season here in the Washington Cascades... Last night we had to pull over about every 3 miles to wipe off the headlights... Not fun. There is just not enough heat from the LED lights to melt off the snow. Rivian either needs to add washer nozzles (our Volvo V90 CC has these), or add heated lenses. Heated head light example, Looking a pair of these. Wonder if I could power off frunk 12vdc outlet or tap into fog lights.. Another option is to mount on forward mounted roof cross bar and power from bed outlets some how.. Also researching transparent ITO or thin wire heating element to stick on stock headlights...

I have emailed my guide with pictures and raised this as a safety issue. Will also create service ticket.... And posted here tagging RJ..

Anyway.. beware if you find yourself in wet sticky snow at night...

49ABDEB6-7801-466E-B8C2-1D585B4421B3.jpeg
EAB7009E-8684-483B-94D3-0F632A3925E3.jpeg
6E2B0424-9C21-45D3-BF25-58D24AFB58AE.jpeg
I'm going to throw in an electric heat gun and an extension cord for my travel kit.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Man those conditions are poor. I'd probably move.
I like snow driving, but not at night. I barely like driving at night in the dry. Careful out there.

"Work trucks" come with low tech halogens specifically for this issue (and cost). My Chevy Colorado headlights might melt snow, but they don't illuminate the road worth a damn either way.
I'd chalk it up to - the Rivian would be more awesome if it had...

Sponsored

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Hopefully the can make a heated one that will pop in to replace the existing.

RIVinIT

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.realestatebyscottmiller.com
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Porsche 911 S, Audi Q5
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Clubs

Good post, I was wondering when this was going to come up. The ideas in the post are all good, Rain X, PFF coasting, ceramic coating and so on. For this price range of a vehicle they should add some heating elements to the front lights, Maybe this is something they can add to the 2023 models.

To bad an over the air Upgrade could fix it but I dont think that is possible. I spend a lot of time in the Tahoe region and in Vail range so will just have to live with it or add some lights....

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Not sure I have ever seen a Rivian Advertisement. Jk.

I actually find this argument an interesting since it kind of acknowledges how great the vehicle is and how that creates an expectation of perfection. However, we must ask is that really reasonable for any product. All designs and products evolve.
I think people are more referring to how Rivian markets itself as an electric ADVENTURE vehicle. Not a perfect vehicle. If it can't handle cold weather and icy/snowy conditions, that's a big miss on the ADVENTURE aspect.

Athena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Have you happened to try putting on a ceramic coating of any sort to see if it helps the snow/slush slide off?

Might not work since the headlights are so vertical, but probably worth a shot. I plan on doing mine this weekend.
You can always try and spray some Pam cooking oil on them? ;) :CWL:

DirtyJester

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 kona ev
Occupation
Millwright
I’m going to try and remember to bring this up to them at the open house here this weekend.

Sponsored

Goldmaniam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Honda Ridgeline, Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Owner of a Smarthome conversion business
Thank you for this post. I will be getting the Morimoto lights whenever my Max Pack will be ready. I never even thought of the lack of headlight heating. Here is my demo R1T during first mile covered in ice
Rivian R1T R1S Undriveable at night in wet snow due to LED headlights not melting snow & ice 7F5B0053-2D0B-4B64-ABAB-B3B18B65D617

OP
OP
skookumracing

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Given that generating heat is highly inefficient, I wonder how much that would impact range.

Heaters on the headlights would definitely get my vote. Like I mentioned in another comment.. My Tesla and my Jeep (which has upgraded LED headlights) have this same issue. A miss on all counts for sure, but Rivian definitely isn't the only manufacturer of unheated LED lights.

MRE

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Land Rover LR4, Ducati Streetfighter
Given that generating heat is highly inefficient, I wonder how much that would impact range.
As compared to 'just' running the climate control and seat heaters? Effectively not at all.