Sponsored

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Just echoing what many here have said, this is a general issue with LEDs in general. I don't know why more people aren't cluing in on this. They've been making heated lenses for LED stop lights for almost 15 years now for a good reason.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Just echoing what many here have said, this is a general issue with LEDs in general. I don't know why more people aren't cluing in on this. They've been making heated lenses for LED stop lights for almost 15 years now for a good reason.
Maybe true, but a newly designed $100k vehicle, built specifically for the “Adventurous” outdoors market should have had lens heaters.

Last edited:

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Maybe true, but a newly designed $100k vehicle, build specifically for the “Adventurous” outdoors market should have had lens heaters.
It's like Tesla claiming hardware for full self drive but not spending the money on washers for the cameras.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
It's like Tesla claiming hardware for full self drive but not spending the money on washers for the cameras.
Don't get me going on Telsa.... I have had three (3, MYP and MS Plaid). Down to just the Plaid now....

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'd be curious for a photo showing what the lighted road looks like when covered. I've never had this problem with pnw show driving but I don't yet have a rivian. My jeep (led) dims a bit but it's drivable until the next gas stop.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I swapped all my lights to high performance LED's about 4 years ago now, and yes you do notice a bit of a difference with additional snow build up, but can't say it's so much that I'm pulling over more often than about every 30-40 miles in heavy pacific snow.

With the Rivian, if you have the lights on (not just drl) and you place your hand close to the front housing directly in the beams path, do you feel any warmth from the light, or is there no difference?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

PS

I love driving in the snow!
Rivian R1T R1S Undriveable at night in wet snow due to LED headlights not melting snow & ice 20221106_123915

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I'm not an expert nor have I ever tried it but - this seems like a possible solution at some point. Since I live and travel on those same roads as the OP, I'm following this thread since I can't see where I'm going.

Transparent heating film -

Product -
https://www.chasmtek.com/agent-overview
https://www.chasmtek.com/blog/transparent-heaters-for-applications-requiring-optical-transparency

Article on the LED challenge -
https://www.chasmtek.com/blog/heating-led-headlights-for-the-automotive-industry

Electrified

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, BMW 530e, Rivian R1T on order!
That doesn't look like it'd obstruct the light enough to me. I've driven in some pretty nasty stuff before, and the Polestar's heated radar couldn't keep up with it. Could still see just fine.
Fellow Polestar (2) owner here!

OP
OP
skookumracing

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe true, but a newly designed $100k vehicle, built specifically for the “Adventurous” outdoors market should have had lens heaters.
This is the point!

Sponsored

OP
OP
skookumracing

skookumracing

Site Sponsor
First Name
Skooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW i3, Volvo V90 CC
Occupation
Engineer

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
Has anyone had to replace a headlight bulb in their Rivian? I wonder if it'd be possible to swap to an older non-LED type that puts off more heat to melt snow in the winter.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I guess if you really.. really needed it you could set up a tank and pump in the Frunk and route some hoses and sprayers to the headlight lenses. Wire a switch back to the cabin to activate it. People have done more drastic cold weather mods (like adding a kerosene operated cabin heater to a Chevy Bolt).

Something like this for example (includes pump):
https://www.carparts.com/washer-reservoir/replacement/repc370535

1667856900839.png
Why not just T off of the ones for the windshield or a camera, run some tubing, and put some small nozzles on there? Seems like another whole supply tank isn't needed. Most vehicles feed all of the washers from the same supply

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ Only suggested a dedicated tank/pump because you will go through washer fluid much quicker if the existing tank is now supplying 4 nozzles vs a dedicated supply just for the headlight lenses. Also, we don't know that the existing windshield washer pump can put out enough volume/pressure to supply the windshield squirters and 2 additional new nozzles for the headlights. That would be easy enough to test though....

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

This is the point!
totally agree with you guys. if it is a known issue that snow build up on lights and particularly in LED lights, it should have been addressed by Rivian.
Sponsored