Underbody Shield Option - worth it?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The second image does appear to have a fair number of seams and semi- exposed bolts that could catch on rocks.
Yeah, looks like they revised it and its more carbon fiber now and bolts recessed a little in the grooves, if you see @CommodoreAmiga's photo.
Sponsored

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

Also, Iā€™m wondering how much the optional shield weighs.
THIS is what I was wondering. With the effort to get every last 0.1 mi/kWh does the underbody shield weigh enough to materially restrict range?

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
THIS is what I was wondering. With the effort to get every last 0.1 mi/kWh does the underbody shield weigh enough to materially restrict range?
I donā€˜t think, whatever the additional weight is, that it would impact range much . IMHO, aerodynamics (speed) and wheel/tires are way more impactful. That has been my experience with my current vehicle, a not particularly sleek ride (Toyota FJ). Of course, if it weighs an outrageous amount, that could be an issue, especially in mountainous terrain. .

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The real question is, is it worth it to you.
For me it's a matter if I'm going to be in a driving environment that necessitates extra under body protection. I'm in Colorado and I go off roading on some very rocky trails. So the extra protection is a requirement for me. The armor is worth it. If you're doing nothing more than some dirt roads, then it's only a want and depends on whether you are willing to spend the cash.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

@Singletracker it saved my ass when a friend drove and high centered. Screwed up my alignment, but the panel took the brunt of it. Couldn't imagine what would happen without the shield.

If .1 mi/kWh is so important, slow down. More speed is more c in your aero calculation. I get 2.3 on the highway at 72mph with 20" in all purpose/standard, and 2.5+ at 45mph.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Anyone have images of undershield next to no under-shield? so we can get a better idea. At this point I just got my truck Iā€™m looking under it and to me it looks like I donā€™t have the undershield.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone have images of undershield next to no under-shield? so we can get a better idea. At this point I just got my truck Iā€™m looking under it and to me it looks like I donā€™t have the undershield.
Page 1 has some photos. Mine has underbody shield...CommodoreAmiga's photo shows what it looks like currently without. Earlier photos had a plastic underbody.
Sponsored