Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

That's fine. But for now I'll just cut the speaker wire(s). Or maybe some duct tape over the speaker grille will be sufficient. Has anyone tried that?
There was a long discussion about this less than a month ago, in case you’re interested… Prior PWS thread
Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Because the implementation of the law way delayed until sometime in 2021 IIRC. And Tesla decided to make fart noises rather than pedestrian warning sounds prior to that.
Yep, also for newer vehicles they had a forced "recall" (I got the letter and everything) to disable adding custom sounds to the PWS. Mind they didn't change it or remove the PWS but just added user selectable sound in addition to playing the default PWS. You weren't able to play a blank sound, well you could but you would just hear the normal PWS. That was deemed illegal and Tesla was forced to remove this feature.

I've lifted my Model Y and we take it out on private land "overlanding", and I hate the PWS because my car is the loudest on the block when backing out in the morning.

Folks have touched on the two possible scenarios, take matters into your own hands (unplugging the speaker) at your own risk (perceived or real), or get the regulations changed.

Rivian can't fix this problem.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

FYI for those interested this is what Rivian wants to repair the plastic panels. Not sure where the 9.5% tax is coming from since we don’t have tax in Oregon. I declined, i’ll do a repair myself.

Edit: After making my case now Rivian is going to cover the repair. Also the tax charge is a bug they are fixing.

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody protection and cautionary off-road experience in a R1T BDEAA391-DD60-41A3-8850-5E2B28C8BD3C

Last edited:

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
FYI for those interested this is what Rivian wants to repair the plastic panels. Not sure where the 9.5% tax is coming from since we don’t have tax in Oregon. I declined, i’ll do a repair myself.

BDEAA391-DD60-41A3-8850-5E2B28C8BD3C.png
That's actually a lot less than I expected. Probably means it's a very easy job. Please let us know how it goes for you.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

will they sell you the parts?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Parts seem surprisingly reasonable. Are you allowed to buy them and replace yourself?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

will they sell you the parts?
Parts seem surprisingly reasonable. Are you allowed to buy them and replace yourself?
I hadn't asked.

I probably would still pass, most likely they will get damaged again. I'll hope something more durable comes aftermarket and just touch up the damage on the existing panels until then.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I hadn't asked.

I probably would still pass, most likely they will get damaged again. I'll hope something more durable comes aftermarket and just touch up the damage on the existing panels until then.
you mean like the metal sliders that they had on the prototype that was running around? :rolleyes:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
It's disappointing that he added underbody protection but still had those plastic pieces where rock sliders would go

Rivian needs to add some significant form of feedback for ride height changes
Rivian really needs to d a user feedback or suggestions section to their website. Make it a poll format perhaps so people could vote on features or options perhaps?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian really needs to d a user feedback or suggestions section to their website. Make it a poll format perhaps so people could vote on features or options perhaps?
I'm still waiting on that camp kitchen I had configured with my truck that they made me take off to get the truck... I am NOT going to take it off my other configuration though.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Came across this just a bit ago and the owner goes into some of the Rivian's off-road suspension setting quirks as well as both room for improvement on underbody protection and cautionary advice for anyone considering the dark rims for use on trails.

Credit where credit's due, check out the video and thanks to the Rivian owner for sharing his experience

Self service garage? Seriously? How have I not known this was a thing? Hoping there's one near me.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I'm sure they read the forums.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I'm sure they read the forums.
I'm sure they do, but it seems like they could be more intentional about getting feedback. If nothing else it would increase customer engagement and make us feel heard.

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
Not sure how I missed this thread. Amazing video, thanks for putting together.
Sponsored