Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
That was an excellent video. Big props to the R1T owner.

There definitely needs to be a software update. If you put the suspension in its highest position, it should only lower automatically when you exceed a certain speed. I know that RAM's air suspension lowers at about 30mph or so. It should also never lower when you're off camber IMO. Easy software fix so no worries there.

IF I ever get my R1T, I think I'll get my brother to make me some sliders. Or perhaps go to one of the custom fabrication shops in Denver to have some built. It's nice to see that the rest of the skid plates are up to the task.

As for the wheels, that's going to happen on anything you regularly off road. It would be much easier to deal with if the R1T had 17s or 18s but we'll just have to live with it. I'm planning to use my Jeep for the hard core offroading so I don't think I'll be too worried. But I sure as heck have zero interest in those upgraded wheels.
I'm told that lowered ride height does stay through restarts. I know this is something different but I explicitly asked about this for parking garage reasons.

dieselsan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Audi Q7
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Tested all off road modes (auto, rock crawl, rally, drift) with tires at 48 psi and 26 psi. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance! It takes a moment to learn the technique for off-roading the R1T but yeah, it’s very good and fun. I manually dialed in settings for each mode (i.e. rock crawl: stiff, hold off uphill, on downhill, highest) and had zero issues crawling and drift was superior. Had a bunch of Bronco, Tacoma and Jeep owners shaking their heads. 👍

Kaprice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
I politely disagree...they are intended for some rough terrain, yes, but not modified Jeep territory (unless you want to break things). Wish I had the cash to go out and purposely distroy my Rivian... I'll take it off road gently, bit that thing is going to be my baby. Just because it CAN do it doesn't mean you should. ;) #Rubicon
They are literally marketed as adventure vehicles.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Tested all off road modes (auto, rock crawl, rally, drift) with tires at 48 psi and 26 psi. I was pleasantly surprised at the performance! It takes a moment to learn the technique for off-roading the R1T but yeah, it’s very good and fun. I manually dialed in settings for each mode (i.e. rock crawl: stiff, hold off uphill, on downhill, highest) and had zero issues crawling and drift was superior. Had a bunch of Bronco, Tacoma and Jeep owners shaking their heads. 👍
It sounds like a hurricane :-(

Sponsored

dieselsan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Audi Q7
Occupation
Entrepreneur
It sounds like a hurricane :-(
Yeah, right? I’ve named the truck “The Hulk” given the color and that noise! Also submitted an enhancement ticket to give us a future option to turn off under 20 mph noise when in off-road or at least rock crawling mode.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Yeah, right? I’ve named the truck “The Hulk” given the color and that noise! Also submitted an enhancement ticket to give us a future option to turn off under 20 mph noise when in off-road or at least rock crawling mode.
I'm curious if anyone reading this understands the legal/regulatory issues involved in this? If so, is Rivian allowed to give us this option? If someone can provide a link to the pertinent laws/regulations that would be great. Thanks.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

100% I think it's just been overlooked as it defaults to a standard mode upon exit and re-entry. Which makes sense day to day, but in an off road situation it can funk you up.

Slightly tricky to make work correctly unless in those specific off road modes, maybe once placed in them it stays in them until told otherwise? Possibly just an on screen reminder when you get back in after a celebratory brew for conquering an obstacle, it defaults to the drive mode screen to remind you the mode you're in, without asking you if you want to stay in it constantly. That would get annoying otherwise.
my understanding is that every time you leave the vehicle and return it asks you if you want to keep your current drive mode and if you dont respond default to all purpose and standard height. did you notice you being prompted on the screen?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

8954B194-E98B-49F8-BD5C-96F47D5AFD0B.jpeg

Yep, same issue. Took this scar in Moab yesterday.
does your R1T have the upgraded Reinforced Underbody Shield? just wondering if the plastic panels on the side are standard or thats with the Reinforced Underbody Shield.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I'm curious if anyone reading this understands the legal/regulatory issues involved in this? If so, is Rivian allowed to give us this option? If someone can provide a link to the pertinent laws/regulations that would be great. Thanks.
Given how good vehicle software is getting at recognizing pedestrians, it would be great if the laws/regulations allowed EVs to make the required sound only after it detected a nearby pedestrian. This would allow quiet EV driving in situations like off-roading and country roads. Surely this is something being considered, right?

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

does your R1T have the upgraded Reinforced Underbody Shield? just wondering if the plastic panels on the side are standard or thats with the Reinforced Underbody Shield.
I do have the offroad package. I would assume the plastic is standard on either version the difference is in the plate below the battery between the plastic on either side but I honestly haven't seen a picture of the bottom without the off road package, I am sure one exists on the forum somewhere.

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T
Occupation
Physician
I think Rivian is caught in a small conundrum with the design of those 20" wheels. Deep dish sacrifices aero but convex causes curb rash.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Yeah, that noise is terrible, if it’s anywhere near that loud in real life. I‘ve seen videos where they claim to be able to cruise the trails in silence, while enjoying nature. Hmmm. That doesn’t seem possible with all that racket going on. There needs to be a shut off option in off road modes.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I don't see any way around it, but this datasheet kind of shows how outdated the thinking is where many/most EVs are going to be "Other (describe)" write-ins.

Fluids? Yes, wiper fluids are topped!

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody protection and cautionary off-road experience in a R1T Screenshot_20220502-180621

https://www.nhtsa.gov/document/labo...und-requirements-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T; Tesla Model 3 (Cybertruck on order)
Occupation
Retired
Given how good vehicle software is getting at recognizing pedestrians, it would be great if the laws/regulations allowed EVs to make the required sound only after it detected a nearby pedestrian. This would allow quiet EV driving in situations like off-roading and country roads. Surely this is something being considered, right?
That’s a good idea! Obviously much more difficult to implement, though. I would hope for a simpler solution in the interim.

BTW, has anyone considered how silly this rule will seem when the majority of cars are inherently quiet but are forced to make this gratuitous noise? Imagine sitting at a curb side cafe with all the cars coming by sounding like hurricanes :-(
Sponsored