Sponsored

Uber Wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (Limestone)
I'm the OP. It bears repeating that I have no affiliation with Ride88 and I bought my racks from them. I say that so it doesn't sound like I'm selling them or their product in any way. That said, in my experience the owner, Jerry, has always been very responsive -- I've usually heard back the same day and can't recall a time when I didn't hear back by the next day. It makes me wonder if maybe your emails aren't making it to him? I don't know what to say.

As for the racks themselves, I am absolutely loving them as a solution for transporting my bikes (a long modern geo mountain bike and a heavy eMTB). The racks work so well and so conveniently. I mostly leave one of the racks in the truck under the tonneau and one hanging on my garage wall next to my truck for when I need to haul a second bike. I also use my bed a lot and it has been so easy to pop the rack off with the quick release and throw it in the gear tunnel for when I need the bed space.

For me, the carrier has been one of those rare products that I come to appreciate all the more, the more I use it. It's just a rock solid solution, from the construction of the product itself to how solidly it's mounted to the bed to how easy it is to use. It's been everything I was hoping for -- and I shopped/researched for a long time. If there's any downside I could point to, it's the fact that I have to have the tailgate down when hauling bikes, but honestly that really isn't an issue. I'm just nitpicking trying to come up with something to counterbalance my positive review/experience with the carrier.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions about the carrier either here or through direct message.
OP (or anyone else that now has some time with a Ride 88), curious if you've noticed any long term issues with driving with the tailgate down? (Besides the back up camera.) Does it bang around a lot on dirt roads or anything? Think it would need PPF being exposed to rock spray?
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

OP (or anyone else that now has some time with a Ride 88), curious if you've noticed any long term issues with driving with the tailgate down? (Besides the back up camera.) Does it bang around a lot on dirt roads or anything? Think it would need PPF being exposed to rock spray?
Good call considering most trails are off logging roads in my area.

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
haven’t had a chance to ride much lately (rainy weather). But I did take the kids’ bikes around a bit. Seemed ok on normal roads. For what it’s worth I’m also getting PPF on the tailgate because it’s going to get a lot of use.

josephponline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm a big fan of the Ride88 setup. i created a tailgate “up” solution you might want to consider. Here’s my setup I posted in another thread. I moved to this solution because I was getting tailgate rattle while in the down position and like you said … potential damage from rocks.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1t-and-mountain-biking.831/post-297537

If you follow that thread I’ve also posted instructions on how to manufacture the tailgate block so you can run with the tailgate up. The only downside is that you have to use tie down straps to eliminate rear wheel movement.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
OP here. For the reasons you outlined, I did have PPF installed on my tailgate, which didn't cost much. I haven't noticed any nicks, dings or even dirt on the tailgate, so not sure the rear tires kicking up road debris is even an issue. My buddy has the same Ride 88 setup and he chose not to PPF his tailgate. We just got back from a 900-mile road trip to mountain bike. We used the Ride 88 system with our tailgates down on interstates to remote dirt roads and no issues at all with tailgates getting beat up.
Sponsored