First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
One of the things I hate about my 2018 F150 is that it is hell to get into a parking space. I am super happy that the Rivian will be smaller. But the real culprit here is the turning radius.
My F150 has a turning radius of 26.9 ft. Do we know what the Rivian is rated for?
Tank turn would be handy here, but...
Here is an article that lists the ford specs for reference.
https://www.autopadre.com/turning-radius/ford-f-150
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure, I'm curious as well.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
One of the things I hate about my 2018 F150 is that it is hell to get into a parking space. I am super happy that the Rivian will be smaller. But the real culprit here is the turning radius.
My F150 has a turning circle of 26.9 ft. Do we know what the Rivian is rated for?
Not sure smaller means better. I had a Focus ST with a turning radius of 37ft...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure smaller means better. I had a Focus ST with a turning radius of 37ft...
That was diameter. The focus turning radius was like 18.6 feet. The ID.4 has a 16.8 ft one. Which has spoiled me, and I now care about it as a spec. ?

Sponsored

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
It felt tighter than an F150, but that was based on one U-turn to start my test-drive, so nothing definitive.
Good morning! Quick question from another discussion: how was the rear passenger legroom in the R1T?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My F150 has a turning circle of 26.9 ft. Do we know what the Rivian is rated for?
Your f150 does not have a turning circle of 26.9 feet.
my focus RS is worse still at just under 39ft(11.8m) turning circle. A real hassle turning around on a street. Solveable with ESC/TC off, if one isn’t worried about attention though.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Your f150 does not have a turning circle of 26.9 feet.

my focus RS is worse still at just under 39ft(11.8m) turning circle. A real hassle turning around on a street. Solveable with ESC/TC off, if one isn’t worried about attention though.
His f150 does. Google will confirm this for you very easily. You're confusing radius with turning circle/diameter.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
His f150 does. Google will confirm this for you very easily. You're confusing radius with turning circle/diameter.
I’m not confusing diameter and radius, I know it has a turning radius that is half its turning circle. ;)

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Good morning! Quick question from another discussion: how was the rear passenger legroom in the R1T?
It would be best if you started a new thread for a different question. Makes it faster for people to find the questions and answers and decreases the noise. There is even a term for what your did here. It is called thread hijacking. I am not upset. Just pointing out how to make these type of forums work better for you.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not confusing diameter and radius, I know it has a turning radius that is half its turning circle. ;)
?‍♂, I can't read. I'm going back to bed.

ruawahoo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade and CX-5
It would be best if you started a new thread for a different question. Makes it faster for people to find the questions and answers and decreases the noise. There is even a term for what your did here. It is called thread hijacking. I am not upset. Just pointing out how to make these type of forums work better for you.
Yes, you are right. And I am sorry. The original question was posed to DuckTruck in that thread by someone else and it has since been buried. I was just trying to get a quick answer and repost over there. He’s a man in demand!

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The R1T should have longer half-shafts than a comparable ICE vehicle because the electric motors are compact and close to the centerline of the vehicle. I suspect with longer half-shafts, the R1T could have a better turning radius than a comparable ICE vehicle. But maybe that depends more on the suspension setup? Somebody here probably knows the answer better than me.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The R1T should have longer half-shafts than a comparable ICE vehicle because the electric motors are compact and close to the centerline of the vehicle. I suspect with longer half-shafts, the R1T could have a better turning radius than a comparable ICE vehicle. But maybe that depends more on the suspension setup? Somebody here probably knows the answer better than me.
I'm not sure that half shaft length is the limiting factor for turning circle. There's a universal/CV joint that allows articulation, either way. A more significant factor is control arm geometry, wheel offset, tire width, frame/chassis, and how that all interacts within physical space. The limit for turning circle is basically where you reach steering lock or parts start to rub (which is why bump stops exist, right before you would otherwise rub).
Sponsored