Sponsored

TT—30P (120v) to 14-50P (240v) adapter?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The photo shows the included factory mobile charger.
Never seen one... excellent!

Totally out of Spec to what the Rivian manual says it supports, but I'm glad it works. The EVSE probably thinks it's 240v (determined based on plug type, not electrical current), and is just letting it pass.

This also makes me think I can get my l6-20 outlet to charge at 16 amp with the factory EVSE by converting it to a 14-50 plug.

I assume this is https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tt-30p-to-nema-14-50r-ev-adapter/
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It is doing a 120v pilot @ 24 amp (I assume limited by the car's ability to limit amperage)?
A little confused by this terminology. IIRC one of the small pins in the J1772 connector caries a control signal which communicates to the car (by PWM IIRC) the maximum current the car is allowed to draw from the EVSE. Is that what you are referring to?

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
A little confused by this terminology. IIRC one of the small pins in the J1772 connector caries a control signal which communicates to the car (by PWM IIRC) the maximum current the car is allowed to draw from the EVSE. Is that what you are referring to?
Correct. That's the EVSE Pilot signal. However, your EVSE adapter certainly doesn't know it's 24 amp limited due to the TT-30 and is probably advertising 32 amps (or whatever it's 240v maximum is). It has some logic -- likely a magnetic sensor or something -- when the 120v adapter is connected to change that signal to 12 amps. I say this because it certainly isn't sensing the range of the voltage to make the decision given the TT-30 adapter is working this way.

On the other hand you likely set the truck to 24 amp and it only requests the lower of the two values (truck setting). Not all EVs have this feature. My aftermarket EVSE has as switch to dial in the amperage advertised for the leaf which doesn't have this feature.

If you did not limit it at the truck to 24a, it likely will blow the campground fuse or will be a fire risk at 32 amp, so check this.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

On the other hand you likely set the truck to 24 amp and it only requests the lower of the two values (truck setting). Not all EVs have this feature. My aftermarket EVSE has as witch to dial in the amperage advertised for the leaf which doesn't have this feature.

If you did not limit it at the truck to 24a, it likely will blow the campground fuse or will be a fire risk at 32 amp.
Yes - manually adjusted down to 24 amps before connecting

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yes - manually adjusted down to 24 amps before connecting
Perfect. So the Tesla EVSE (in the early days, prior to the SC network campground charging was much more common), had sensors to know when TT-30 and different factory-provided plugs were connected and would just adjust the EVSE pilot signal.

I do hope someday Rivian offers different first-party adapters with these features, and raises the 240v maximum to 42 amp. That's wishful thinking at this point.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
However, your EVSE adapter certainly doesn't know it's 24 amp limited due to the TT-30 and is probably advertising 32 amps (or whatever it's 240v maximum is). It has some logic -- likely a magnetic sensor or something -- when the 120v adapter is connected to change that signal to 12 amps.
Each plug adapter has, probably, nothing more sophisticated than a resistor though it could be a ROM, that codes or contains the maximum value of current allowable when that adapter is plugged into the EVSE. I've never seen the Rivian offering but the programming pins are certainly plainly visible on each of the Tesla UMC heads. For the 14-50P adapter the maximum allowable current is 32 amps whether the voltage is 240, 208 or 120 and that's how much the car will draw.

If you did not limit it at the truck to 24a, it likely will blow the campground fuse or will be a fire risk at 32 amp, so check this.
If you don't dial down the current in the truck it will draw 32 amps which will, of course, eventually pop the 30A breaker but it will probably be a half hour or more with only a 2 amp overage,

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I do hope someday Rivian offers different first-party adapters with these features, and raises the 240v maximum to 42 amp. That's wishful thinking at this point.
Rivian's future plans are unknown at this point but you might want to consider the Tesla UMC which accepts, I think, 8 or so different adapters. As is the case with the Rivian unit the limit for the 14-50R adapter is 32 A but they do sell a portable charger (or used to - check their "store") with a hardwired 14-50P which allowed 40A. Plug-in EVSE with plugs heftier than the 14-50P are no longer code compliant and the max code permitted current for a 14-50 is 40A. You can still buy chargers with 14-60P plugs but I won't get into that.

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Rivian's future plans are unknown at this point but you might want to consider the Tesla UMC which accepts, I think, 8 or so different adapters. As is the case with the Rivian unit the limit for the 14-50R adapter is 32 A but they do sell a portable charger (or used to - check their "store") with a hardwired 14-50P which allowed 40A. Plug-in EVSE with plugs heftier than the 14-50P are no longer code compliant and the max code permitted current for a 14-50 is 40A. You can still (I think) buy chargers with 14-60P plugs but I won't get into that.
I'm fine with 40 amp. Never going to fine a 14-60 in the wild anyways, but 14-50 are everywhere.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The Wattzilla Black Mamba 40A is a possibility for you if money is no object.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm fine with 40 amp. Never going to fine a 14-60 in the wild anyways, but 14-50 are everywhere.
Well a 14-50 and 14-60 are exactly the same except for the pin that isn't used so it's obviously possible to get 48A (the max the truck will take) from a 14-50R receptacle if you want to get into grey areas in the NEC.

Last edited:

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

awesome news, thanks for sharing! How did it work over the course of the night…any issues? I’ve ordered my adapter now based on your experience, so thanks a ton!
So it has continued to charge without a problem, but over 24 hours I have gotten 42kW so far. The rate seems to fluctuate and I’m not sure if that’s due to the adapter, truck, or the ancient rv hookup

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
TT-30 to 14-50 adapter connected to included rivian portable evse
Can you provide a link to the adapter you’re using? I’ve got a TT 14-30 connection on rural property that I’d like to use to charge but the 14-30 to 14-50 adapter I bought won’t let Rivian EVSE power up. It works fine on a 14-50 or a regular home outlet so I don’t think it is the EVSE.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs