Sponsored

True Level 1/2 Charging Efficiency

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I've noticed something interesting when charging at home that I'm curious if others have picked up on. The long story short, I think the true charging efficiency at the full 48amps is only about 78% (i.e. there are 22% charging losses). However, the kicker is that that's the maximum efficiency from a percentage basis, because it's a fixed loss from running cooling/fans. I did a slow charge at only 8amps from the vehicle settings, and I think that only had about a 25% efficiency, or 75% losses.

Here's the detail. I'm running the CP Home Flex (not really Flex anymore, but I'll end with that) on a 60a circuit. When running at the full 48a, the CP app shows that it is sending just over 11kw to the vehicle (not quite the 11.5kw is theoretically should be with 48a x 240v). The Rivian app actually shows it charging at 11kw, though that's a rounded number and perhaps it's actually something like 10.5kw. Nevertheless, that's not important for this purpose, as I'm comparing to what the CP app reports as the power being delivered to the port.

However, when I look at the actual charging stats, including total kw delivered (verified by change in SoC), the punch line is that it is only charging at a total net rate of about 8.5kw. When I ran it at 8a, about 2kw was the starting point, but from a time to charge standpoint it was less than 1kw, which is essentially L1 outlet speed.

So, I think what's happening is that there are normal/expected charging losses (from previous vehicles on my same system I'd say those could be anywhere from 5-10%, my eTron reported a charge rate of about 10.2kw which may even be less efficient than the Rivian if you stop there). However, the R1T runs the fans (possibly compressor at times too) far more/longer than the Audi ever did. So, I think what's happening is that there is an additional 1.5-2.0kw that is lost through this cooling, so that from a charging time perspective, you are only getting 8.5kw as the max charging rate.

I'm curious to hear others thoughts on if they concur or if there is something up with my personal experience.

P.S. I just found out when trying to go into the CP app to change the amp setting for the charger, that CP removed that feature from the Flex (which is where it got it's name from) due to what they called a "safety" issue. It makes zero sense because the max is set by the circuit at install, and the only flexibility that exists is to lower it to something less than maximum. In any case, you can call CP and they can change the setting for you, but you no longer can do that via the app. It's less of an issue with the Rivian since you can adjust in vehicle, but that reverts back to 48 every time, whereas in CP it would stay at whatever you set it at.
Sponsored

pdxgibby

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Karmann Ghia EV, Tesla M3, eGolf, R1T, Power Hawk
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is very interesting. It would be surprising if 1.5-2.0 kW was lost during the charge process. That seems rather high (and expensive). I'm not doubting your research and it does seam possible.

I have CT clamps for each of my NEMA 14-50 outlets and I'll be able to measure charger output and estimate loss based on time. I'll start investigating and get back to you here. Very interesting, indeed.

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This is very interesting. It would be surprising if 1.5-2.0 kW was lost during the charge process. That seems rather high (and expensive). I'm not doubting your research and it does seam possible.

I have CT clamps for each of my NEMA 14-50 outlets and I'll be able to measure charger output and estimate loss based on time. I'll start investigating and get back to you here. Very interesting, indeed.
I'd think so too, which is why I was surprised. It also needs more time for an accurate reading to smooth out what is likely a stop/start fan/cooling pattern. As of a little bit ago, I was up to 28kw delivered in 191 minutes, or about 8.8kw rate so a little higher. I don't have decimal points on total kw delivered or SoC changes, so this is not 100% precise, but close enough for the point. I admittedly never did this math on the Audi, so maybe that wasn't effectively charging at the full 10.2kw either.

The point being, if accurate, it factors in to people's decisions on the size of circuit they are installing and hardwire vs. plug in.

I'll also note that I'm in TX, where it's currently 100 degrees, though charging in the attached garage.

Chris Jaszczur

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I see the same thing. Charging at a ChargePoint station (6.6kWh advertised), the charging numbers on the Rivian app are about 75% of the that shown on the ChargePoint app. For example:

Rivian app reports:
7h total charging time
6 kW charging rate
30 kWh added

Chargepoint reports:
7 h charging time
5.74 kW charging rate
40.24 kWh added

Doing the math, Rivian is charging at 30 kWh/7h = 4.3 kW, while the chargepoint is sending 40.24 kWh/7h = 5.74 kW.

10 kWh has gone missing (out of 40 kWh total). The starting charge level was around 25-35% and final charge level around 60%, so it's still in the constant charge rate part of the curve.

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I see the same thing. Charging at a ChargePoint station (6.6kWh advertised), the charging numbers on the Rivian app are about 75% of the that shown on the ChargePoint app. For example:

Rivian app reports:
7h total charging time
6 kW charging rate
30 kWh added

Chargepoint reports:
7 h charging time
5.74 kW charging rate
40.24 kWh added

Doing the math, Rivian is charging at 30 kWh/7h = 4.3 kW, while the chargepoint is sending 40.24 kWh/7h = 5.74 kW.

10 kWh has gone missing (out of 40 kWh total). The starting charge level was around 25-35% and final charge level around 60%, so it's still in the constant charge rate part of the curve.
Yep. There is only a charge curve on Level 3/DCFC at speeds over 75kw or so. Everything else is flat.

Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The new software shows some more details about completed charging sessions!

Rivian R1T R1S True Level 1/2 Charging Efficiency 5568D9D0-4E70-4FFE-8753-DE38E6200809

Left it on overnight on a Public Level 2 EVSE. It is a busy parking lot in an area that doesn't see many Rivians, and there were 405 gear guard videos from the night. But as you can see, average draw for "low voltage accessories" (e.g., the computer and cameras) is over 500W. Over this duration, that represented ballpark 10% of what was delivered by the charger.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
The new software shows some more details about completed charging sessions!

5568D9D0-4E70-4FFE-8753-DE38E6200809.jpeg

Left it on overnight on a Public Level 2 EVSE. It is a busy parking lot in an area that doesn't see many Rivians, and there were 405 gear guard videos from the night. But as you can see, average draw for "low voltage accessories" (e.g., the computer and cameras) is over 500W. Over this duration, that represented ballpark 10% of what was delivered by the charger.
Cool details, thanks for sharing! The cabin/battery temp seems reasonable... what was the ambient temp like? The accessory usage seems a bit excessive. When charging what's providing that power? Is it the EVSE directly or does the power have to flow through the battery first?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
For comparison, overnight at home, garage kept, gear guard off at home:
Rivian R1T R1S True Level 1/2 Charging Efficiency 16567002494222545281262486991734

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Cool details, thanks for sharing! The cabin/battery temp seems reasonable... what was the ambient temp like? The accessory usage seems a bit excessive. When charging what's providing that power? Is it the EVSE directly or does the power have to flow through the battery first?
The accessories include gear guard, and as I mentioned, we were parked in a busy public lot and captured 405 videos. Averaging a bit over 500W isn't too surprising to me in that environment.

I don't know for sure about the architecture, but I suspect there is a single DC converter from the high voltage system to the low voltage system. So if there are loads on the low voltage system, the converter will place a load on the high voltage bus to tend the 12V batteries. So my best guess would be 240VAC goes to the high voltage charger, and on the charger is loaded with the high voltage batteries and the low voltage converter. The power wouldn't flow "into" the high voltage pack then back out to the converter though -- both the pack and low voltage converter would be parallel loads on the charger (unless the low voltage system was drawing more than the charger was providing, in which case the high voltage pack and the charger would both be parallel sources to the load).