Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They said due to the 3rd row seating. They would have to remove that in order to have the extra large pack thus removing some utility of the vehicle which they felt was not worth it. They would rather explore different battery technologies in the future that are more efficient and use them in the R1S.
So we knew there wouldn't be a "Max Pack" option for R1S, are you suggesting that 316 mi EPA range is the best we will get for R1S until new battery tech becomes available (likely many years down the road)?

And based on that comment regarding utility, I'm surprised they haven't also killed the 5 seat version altogether.
Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
As of today, the website still says “We’ll announce the timing for a longer range R1S and a 250+ mile pack for both the R1T and the R1S after we launch.”

If this is no longer true, it would be a pretty major change.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

caught a yellow one in Denver this morning. Got the thumbs up.

20210915_111813.jpg
I love that Waste Management agreed to travel next to the Roving Rivian to provide the mobile billboard advising Coloradans to "Think Green, Think Clean". I'm assuming the regenerative braking helped to recapture much of the Rivian's power with each start and stop at the residences throughout the Denver Metro area. ?

curney

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 3500
Occupation
manufacturing
I love that Waste Management agreed to travel next to the Roving Rivian to provide the mobile billboard advising Coloradans to "Think Green, Think Clean". I'm assuming the regenerative braking helped to recapture much of the Rivian's power with each start and stop at the residences throughout the Denver Metro area. ?
I know....that was a funny backdrop.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
As of today, the website still says “We’ll announce the timing for a longer range R1S and a 250+ mile pack for both the R1T and the R1S after we launch.”

If this is no longer true, it would be a pretty major change.
It sounds like they're not saying "400-mile R1S is never happening" so much as "400-mile R1S might require a new pack design and thus take longer"; this is consistent with "we'll announce timing" vs. the much more confident "coming in January 2022" for the R1T.

Ginny

First Name
Ginny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 escalade ext, 2019 corvette
Occupation
retired
I used to do this with excitement. Years ago.

But living close to Fremont, 99% of delivery rigs I see are loaded down with boring old Teslas.

I'll go hang out near South San Francisco once Rivians are delivering in numbers just to watch them coming off the truck at the service center.
Maybe their next stop will be California for tour event!

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Won't they keep the manufacturer plates until the actual title transfer anyway? Which is likely to happen when the customer is taking delivery.
I don’t think so. Dealer plates are not customers cars.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

It sounds like either tomorrow or this weekend there will be a deluge of Rivian stories to read/watch, which excites me.

I am a bit confused though regarding timeline, because I've read that there is press event Thursday, but it also looks like some people already have been driving cars from locals reporting in. Wondering if the event is tomorrow or if the embargo ends tomorrow and we can expect the floodgates to open.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Biden would only know about Rivian if told repeatedly by staff during ice cream time.
Probably more effective to give him a toy R1T and let him play with it on his desk.
A toy. Great idea. Ahh… Mr President. Play with this … It’s an electric truck. Sir an electric truck. Ahh forget it. Just play with it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It sounds like either tomorrow or this weekend there will be a deluge of Rivian stories to read/watch, which excites me.

I am a bit confused though regarding timeline, because I've read that there is press event Thursday, but it also looks like some people already have been driving cars from locals reporting in. Wondering if the event is tomorrow or if the embargo ends tomorrow and we can expect the floodgates to open.
Yeah, when an embargo ends is anyone's guess.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
For what it is worth, I asked CS a couple of months ago and was told they were not attending any Auto Shows this year.
Yea.. they obviously don’t want to promote the truck to the masses?
Sponsored