Truck not remembering drive mode

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
I wanted to check the underside of the truck to see if there were any missing bolts/fasteners (yep, 8 of them missing). So in my garage I put the truck in drive, set it to all-terrain mode, confirmed the prompt, set suspension to highest, waited for it to finish, set back to park, then jumped out and locked the doors (force of habit).

After I had finished I unlocked the doors, jumped in, set to drive, then the truck immediately jumped in all-purpose mode and started lowering the suspension to standard (my usual driving mode) without any interaction or prompt from me.

That's pretty dangerous behavior. I recall someone before saying this had happened to them while out off roading and it damaged the underside, but other people since saying it prompts before changing so as long as you follow the instructions you're good. But I had zero prompts. Anyone else experienced this behavior?
Sponsored

Last edited:

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Your prompt was getting out, the car probably locked/turned off and then turned on again when you got back in.

I think this is expected behavior.The drive mode only remembers while you’re driving. If you turn the car off and on again, it’ll reset to the default setting of that mode. I wouldn’t say I agree with this though. Hopefully they will add a feature in an update to remember drive modes.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The prompt disappears immediately after you put it in drive in my experience but it always shows up. It's definitely a bug in the software if you ask me. I did happen to me while in Moab before I understood that behavior and damaged some of my underbody plastic parts along the sides.

Rivian agreed after some back and forth that this was not ideal behavior and comped the new parts but wouldn't go as far as calling it a bug. Hoping they fix it.

OP
OP

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Thanks for the info @jjswan33 . I was gutted for you and felt your pain when that happened to you.

I've just tried what you described again. Yep you are correct, if you press only the brake upon entering the confirmation to stay in off-road appears, but if in habit you do brake and `D` like I do it vanishes and switches so quickly you don't see it. Man that user experience is bad. At least I know now - need to adjust my own behavior to only press brake when entering.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've been told it won't stay in off-road after a "key cycle" because of EPA rules about range calculations needing to be done in the most inefficient driving mode that the vehicle can be left in that requires no user input to change when the vehicle is started up again.

If you leave it in Sport or Conserve modes, it will keep those on the next cycle, because they aren't less efficient than all-purpose.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for the info @jjswan33 . I was gutted for you and felt your pain when that happened to you.

I've just tried what you described again. Yep you are correct, if you press only the brake upon entering the confirmation to stay in off-road appears, but if in habit you do brake and `D` like I do it vanishes and switches so quickly you don't see it. Man that user experience is bad. At least I know now - need to adjust my own behavior to only press brake when entering.
Sounds like you felt worse about it that I did :) I was ready to slap some duct tape on it and be done with it until Rivian agreed to fix it.

OP
OP

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
I've been told it won't stay in off-road after a "key cycle" because of EPA rules
Just tested it...

If I key cycle, and only press the brake on returning, then I'm prompted if I want to remain in off-road.

It's when I key cycle, then press brake and drive upon returning that it assumes I chose no.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If I key cycle, and only press the brake on returning, then I'm prompted if I want to remain in off-road.

It's when I key cycle, then press brake and drive upon returning that it assumes you chose no
Right, and if you ignore the prompt, because you aren't allowed to hit anything in the EPA test, it returns to All-Purpose mode. Personally I think it was a dangerous decision to do it this way strictly based on regulatory rules. Rivian should give us a way to change the default, and to hell with the regulations.
Sponsored