First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t mean to be “that” guy, but in my experience “bricked” was always a term reserved for a situation where an electronic device was permanently disabled (usually due to a failed firmware update that could not be restarted and finished). Sometimes these could be repaired by replacing some non-volatile memory, but sometimes couldn’t be done without damaging the device physically … so effectively it was a “brick”.

I’ve heard of people “bricking” Tesla MCUs and even if you got a replacement MCU, it might not communicate with the vehicle properly without access to tools that aren’t available outside their shops.

I’m not minimizing the issue of the 12v going dead … it’s happened on my Tesla and can happen on a number of ICE vehicles also, some of which can be a real pain to get into the vehicle to replace the battery.

I hope this was just a fluke - bad battery or bad DCDC converter or a minor update handled by software.
Sponsored

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
This is convenient to know as an owner/operator.... but this will soon be known by the nefarious crowd on how easy it is to access the Frunk of a Rivian R1. So don't consider anything stored in your frunk as overly valuable or cannot be lost/stolen... because it very well may be done this way.
I wonder why they just didn't put a manual release inside the cabin, down under the dash or down by your left foot on the sidewall?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I wonder why they just didn't put a manual release inside the cabin, down under the dash or down by your left foot on the sidewall?
If the batteries are dead and you can't get in the cabin, it wouldn't do any good. It does seem that a supplying 12V to the leads at the trailer hitch can sometimes provide enough juice to unlock the doors and get into the cabin but I suspect that is not guaranteed, hence the external fallback.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The question of where you draw the line between confusing the owner with Avalanche of useless information and automating everything behind the scene
Part of the reason many ICE vehicles switched to dummy gauges decades ago is because people who didn't understand what the info meant would flood service centers with questions and repair appointments for things that were perfectly normal. Same for Rivian, providing info will lead to questions which will light up their call centers and flood service centers requiring additional staff. Of course, so does lack of info hence the delicate balance you refer to.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
If the batteries are dead and you can't get in the cabin, it wouldn't do any good. It does seem that a supplying 12V to the leads at the trailer hitch can sometimes provide enough juice to unlock the doors and get into the cabin but I suspect that is not guaranteed, hence the external fallback.
A lot of these seem to be self inflicted pain. An old fashion physical key that engages a purely mechanical system to get in can give you access to other mechanical systems from inside. This will keep the car secure while it bypasses the need for 12V DC. The key does not have to be the primary way to get in (although I probably will use it that way to keep the car sleep when I am not using it). For some reason turn of a wrist is not as much of a hardship for me as it is for others.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
There is a light, which is what most ICE vehicles have these days.
Both my truck and my Jeep have a gauge. Regardless, I wish the 12V system had a gauge.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was at the SLC service center today, and these were on the dash of most of the 25 or so trucks sitting out front of the building in various stages of delivery prep. I’m guessing that leaving seatbelts fastened prevents the truck from going to sleep and drained the 12v if it sits for too long in that stage.

B7D419F5-13A6-45F6-9E90-0C538978EB6C.jpeg
After landing at SFO just now I took a 10 min trip to the SF service center (my truck is to be delivered on Wed) and I thought I might see my truck outside. It wasn't there but there was a car carrier with three Rivian unloading ... or trying to unload.

The driver was on the phone and I chatted with him afterwards. Seems he unloaded one truck but the remaining three all have dead batteries and he's stuck not being able to unload them! He tried calling Rivian but it being the middle of a long holiday weekend he didn't have much luck. He told me all the seatbelts were unfastened. I called my guide and left a message. I feel bad for the guy being stuck like there like that...

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
A lot of these seem to be self inflicted pain. An old fashion physical key that engages a purely mechanical system to get in can give you access to other mechanical systems from inside. This will keep the car secure while it bypasses the need for 12V DC. The key does not have to be the primary way to get in (although I probably will use it that way to keep the car sleep when I am not using it). For some reason turn of a wrist is not as much of a hardship for me as it is for others.
Right on.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
because the 12v batteries and high voltage cutoff are up front.

dcpdx

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1S 12 days in. 195 mile charge on the HV. Dead on the 12v. A manual opening on the charge port would sure be nice. Attempted to jump from the leads by the hitch. No luck. I wonder if it was drained from the Gear Guard function being on, and it rained last night. Enough motion to trip the sensors for 8 hours and kill the 12v?

Sponsored

spfent

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Raptor, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport,
Occupation
General Contractor
It’d be interesting to know the VINs on those bricked trucks to see if they were all early production units.
Mine just did it. delivered 10/10/2022. still dark even though it has an 82% charge

Rivian R1T R1S Truck is bricked! Update FIXED!   [12v battery trickle module software issue] Screenshot_20221111-202034_Rivian

Hugh IV

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Sales
I had the 12v battery die on my truck on Friday. Mobile unit came out and looked at it yesterday, confirmed 5v on 1 battery, 0v on the other. They are going to tow it to the Service Center tomorrow. I wonder if it is worth trying to trickle charge the battery so at least I can get the doors open.
Well at least they came out. Been waiting 3 days still trying to find out when they will come out.
Sponsored