First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE, Rivian R1T, Nissan Titan, Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Self employed
Almost every time I am in reverse the truck will automatically go into park even while the truck is moving. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Almost every time I am in reverse the truck will automatically go into park even while the truck is moving. Has anyone else experienced this?
You are lifting your butt off the seat to look back. The vehicle stops sensing you and puts it in park.

OP
OP

Fezzik

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE, Rivian R1T, Nissan Titan, Mazda CX-3
Occupation
Self employed
You are lifting your butt off the seat to look back. The vehicle stops sensing you and puts it in park.
Thank you, I will have to try and see if that is what is happening. I rarely look at the backup cameras so yes I am looking behind and that might be it.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Thank you, I will have to try and see if that is what is happening. I rarely look at the backup cameras so yes I am looking behind and that might be it.
Yup, you're not alone. A few others have reported the same behavior. Also make sure you're buckled up.

Lakor1t

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Engineering Product Manager
I second the lifting off the seat answer. My wife was backing up our boat and kept yelling out the window that it kept going into park. Sheā€™s usually an expert boat backer upper and gets many looks at the launch. This time we kept jerking to a stop every few feet and looked like a**holes. I couldnā€™t figure out what it was and days later all of a sudden she says ā€œdo you think itā€™s cause I lift myself up off the seat cause Iā€™m short?ā€..

Rivian R1T R1S Truck goes into park when I am in reverse Rivmal

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yup, you're not alone. A few others have reported the same behavior. Also make sure you're buckled up.
šŸ™‹šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
You're definitely taking your weight off the seat, happened to me week 1.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
No experience with the R1T yet (this Saturday delivery :please:), but driving other vehicles with adaptive cruise control, vehicles will disengage cruise control if you lift your butt off the seat just to stretch a bit on a long drive. If you look inattentive to the camera looking at the driver, it will bring up a "stop for coffee" icon on the display.... are you tired and need a break?

Butt to me, it seems a bit foolish to do this in reverse, as a lot of people do just this, look back and lift up to look back. Seems like would be nice to be able to disable this feature in the software, maybe in a future update it will be customizable.

Safety features for us frail humans!

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I'd been wondering what we do if we had a runaway accelerator, since there really is no off button/switch, and shifting to park by pushing the button while rolling doesn't work (ask me how I know). I guess you just get off the seat.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I canā€™t believe this is a problem for the majority of Americans. šŸ” šŸŸ šŸŗ
I can, fat people tend not to be flexible enough to look over their shoulders.

Sponsored

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I'd been wondering what we do if we had a runaway accelerator, since there really is no off button/switch, and shifting to park by pushing the button while rolling doesn't work (ask me how I know). I guess you just get off the seat.
Not sure if it's the same with Rivian, but on Tesla I believe holding the park button for a few seconds is designed to act as an emergency brake, slowing the vehicle to a stop.

Jakeblanton

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 CTD 2500, 00 Escalde, 2013 Yukon Denali
Occupation
General Manager
Is it abrupt stop or a slow to park?

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
Definitely the lifting of your butt while reversing. I learned this lesson in our Tesla MS. I do like this safety feature bc our young daughters like to play in the car. Itā€™s comforting knowing that they canā€™t accidentally put it into gear. I didnā€™t know the truck had this feature bc Iā€™ve taught myself to stay planted while reversing. I does seem like a temporary override would be helpful, especially in the situation where youā€™re backing a boat.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Not sure if it's the same with Rivian, but on Tesla I believe holding the park button for a few seconds is designed to act as an emergency brake, slowing the vehicle to a stop.
From the manual (I knew I read this somewhere):

Rivian R1T R1S Truck goes into park when I am in reverse Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 10.08.31 AM

People who haven't read the manual do an awful lot of complaining/worrying about things that are already figured out. šŸ˜

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Rivian R1T LE
I second the lifting off the seat answer. My wife was backing up our boat and kept yelling out the window that it kept going into park. Sheā€™s usually an expert boat backer upper and gets many looks at the launch. This time we kept jerking to a stop every few feet and looked like a**holes. I couldnā€™t figure out what it was and days later all of a sudden she says ā€œdo you think itā€™s cause I lift myself up off the seat cause Iā€™m short?ā€..

Rivmal.jpg
Rivian needs to allow for this to be disabled.
I had this issue backing up my boat. Although I figured out the cause at the time, it didnā€™t help as I couldnā€™t find any way to change it.
Particularly when Iā€™m backing up the empty trailer into the water, I like to sit up to see itā€¦ and I couldnā€™t without the automatic parking. I even tried sitting up with right knee on the seat and using left leg on the gas/go pedal ā€” that didnā€™t work.
I found this very frustrating.
Sponsored