Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Calling all campers / RV enthusiasts out there:

I recently decided to cancel the purchase of a 4x4 Sprinter van because I figure I'll be better off getting an R1T and adding some kind of optional camping solution. (Hard to park Sprinters in the grocery store parking lot...)

The Rivian-Yakima tent looks cool but I'd like to consider more substantial (i.e. hard-sided) solutions, given that I have the storage space. Towing a teardrop should be a breeze for the Rivian but wondering if anyone has considered the slide-in truck campers? I think they tend to be pretty heavy, so maybe that rules them out as an option?

Truck campers seem like they could be more hassle than they're worth, given the difficulty in getting them off/on as compared to a teardrop, but please enlighten me if you've done this research. Also, what teardrops do folks like? Seems like a lot of new/cool ones are on the market these days. (Timberleaf, Mean Bean, Polydrop, Vintage Overland, Escape Pod, TAXA, etc...)
I've done the research. page 183, August 2022 manual:
Rivian R1T R1S Truck campers / teardrop trailers / Rivian-Yakima tent 1661923118666

This is a weight issue primarily. I have 22" tires including a full size spare. I also have the underbody shield. Here's what I'm left with:
Rivian R1T R1S Truck campers / teardrop trailers / Rivian-Yakima tent 1661923242061

If you figure passengers/dogs, camping stuff, etc., there's no way you could do a slide in without exceeding the weight limit. The bed tent is about all you can do if you don't want to pull something...either that of get a good tent and camping equipment and set up when you get to where you are going.

In terms of pulling something, well, do you need a WC during the night? What's your $ range? What do you want and need? There are a few people on this forum pulling Airstream Basecamp trailers. That's one I'm thinking about...

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Yeah. They have six models now Including 2 retractables. They’re built to order and have about an 18 month wait.
There's a dealer in BC if you are on that coast. I've checked with them a couple of times in case they had a used one around...yep, lovely trailers.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
There's a dealer in BC if you are on that coast. I've checked with them a couple of times in case they had a used one around...yep, lovely trailers.
When we purchased in 2016, GetAway RV in BC could only deliver to Washingtonians. We lived in PDX at the time which is significantly closer to BC than Quebec. At least we had a nice trip for factory pickup.

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I had an awesome Patriot X3 on order early in the pandemic but decided to cancel it and wait until we move out west in 2 years to get it.
But since then, I also like the Taxa overland version of the Tiger Moth, which is about $28k I think
https://taxaoutdoors.com/habitats/tigermoth-overland/

I also like this new company out of Silverton CO, near where we'll be moving.
these fit nicely between the Taxa and the Patriot.
http://sasquatch-campers.com

If I ever get my Max Pack R1T that I have on order, I want to load up as follows:
* water toys on top of cab, eg SUP and Kayaks (yes, range hit)
* trailer loaded up with stuff, and RTT on top, but also the option to sleep inside if in bear country, it's cold, or there's 3 or 4 of us instead of the usual 2
Bikes thrown over the tailgate

I plan to just leave the trailer in the garage with the RTT on it all the time

Can't wait to start putting this together when the time comes.

CKlawyerWV

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I'll be towing my Taxa TigerMoth once I take delivery of an R1T. I've had the Tiger Moth since 2020 and we (two adults, one kid, one dog) love it. It's a great basecamp with the right feature set for us. I'll update once I have some towing information.

Smlee

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, BMW X5, BMW 330 and Winnebago Aspect
Ok, my pick if budget is a little more. It has a bathroom, full kitchen, fits in your garage. It’s the Kimberly Kamper karvan.
https://kimberleykampersusa.com/

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Ok, my pick if budget is a little more. It has a bathroom, full kitchen, fits in your garage. It’s the Kimberly Kamper karvan.
https://kimberleykampersusa.com/
Ok every time i think i was crazy to spend $80k on my Rivian someone always shares some little camp trailer or camper like this and i think oh thats nice i could see doing that vrs a tent for like 20-30k then its mare than the Rivian cost who spend this kind of money? thats a nice diesel pusher RV in the used market right now.
Sponsored