Truck Camper Range Impact

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
It may be too early, but has anyone tested out truck bed campers on the R1T or have any estimates of range impact from ICE/towing experience? Specifically something low-profile like the OVRLND pop-top camper. I've seen estimates from reddit threads etc ranging from 15-30% reduction and am curious what people here think or have seen.

The R1S has a mini HVAC controlled camper (the back) but obviously isn't quite as large or as nice as a truck camper. Plus the camp kitchen + truck camper sounds perfect.
Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Rivian specifies that the R1T does not support slide-in campers. This makes sense given the weight/load limitations. Even with the Overland or, say, Home - Hiatus Campers, pounds add up very quickly. All gear, people, dogs, have to be figured in. Beyond that, however, there may be concerns and issues about center of gravity and stability when adding something like
Rivian R1T R1S Truck Camper Range Impact 1651557183306

I understand the impulse, but may end up towing rather than using the bed.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Rivian specifies that the R1T does not support slide-in campers.
I've never come across this. Not doubting you, just haven't seen it. Do you have a reference?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
There are some very light, non-slide-in options like the GoFastCamper which should be fine from a vehicle dynamics & payload perspective.

However I'd optimistically guess that you're looking at a 30% range loss on something like these. They'll basically undo any cab & bed aero optimizations (which are numerous, including the rooftop spoilers) while adding a huge air scoop to the roofline and a major vortex behind the vehicle (which the aero profile is otherwise designed to minimize).

For comparison, I see a 30% loss from a low profile rooftop box on my Model Y at freeway speeds.

You'll also probably notice a significant increase in road noise, lose rear visibility, and render the roof glass moot (and a liability due to deflected rocks - I lost a roof panel in my Model 3 to exactly this issue).

All that said, it's a matter of tradeoffs. The range hit will still probably beat a trailer and some of the camper solutions are pretty cool - and it's really nice to have a place you can stand up inside. I'm watching GFCs developments with great interest.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I've never come across this. Not doubting you, just haven't seen it. Do you have a reference?
Page 163, manual:
Rivian R1T R1S Truck Camper Range Impact 1651606079938

I really wanted a slide-in, but the payload numbers, not to mention center-of-gravity/performance/stability concerns mitigated against that even without Rivian's warning. Ignoring warnings like that is probably not a good idea.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Along the same lines: I wonder what the hit is w/ an over the bed roof top tent vs. a roof top tent on top of the R1S.

Hearing @kylealden mention losing 30% just to a rocket box is kind scary if you were thinking of putting an RTT up on an R1S (I am assuming the impact is much greater on the R1S than the R1T)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Page 163, manual:
1651606079938.png

I really wanted a slide-in, but the payload numbers, not to mention center-of-gravity/performance/stability concerns mitigated against that even without Rivian's warning. Ignoring warnings like that is probably not a good idea.
I wouldn’t worry so much about a “shell with a popup roof” style like the hiatus or go fast ones. They’re light.

presumably rivian means actual slide in campers, which are generally very heavy.

OP
OP
messinator

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
IIRC the payload rating (almost definitely the wrong word) is 1600lbs. Given that the lighter campers are ~300lbs i think we're okay as long as you're not planning on camping with your lucky lead camping chairs.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Along the same lines: I wonder what the hit is w/ an over the bed roof top tent vs. a roof top tent on top of the R1S.

Hearing @kylealden mention losing 30% just to a rocket box is kind scary if you were thinking of putting an RTT up on an R1S (I am assuming the impact is much greater on the R1S than the R1T)
It's worth noting that the Cd and frontal area on the Model 3/Y are both way better than on the R1S. So putting a box on top of something that is comparatively already boxy may have lower marginal impact than it does on a Tesla. But yes, a large boxy RTT on an R1S is probably much worse than the same thing over the bed of the R1T.

If you're looking at RTTs for the R1S, there are much better aftermarket options than the Yakima one Rivian sells. Something like a wedge tent or a full-size iKamper SkyCamp will be both better for aero and give you a lot more room than the Yakima.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
IIRC the payload rating (almost definitely the wrong word) is 1600lbs. Given that the lighter campers are ~300lbs i think we're okay as long as you're not planning on camping with your lucky lead camping chairs.
Haven't seen actual #s for the 21s and 20s. Here's my 22" sticker:
Rivian R1T R1S Truck Camper Range Impact 1651628799303

Figure two humans, two fairly large dogs, a camper unit a little tricked out at 400+ lbs, water, food, cooking gear, bedding, well, it starts to get pretty tight after not too much calculation. Not saying it can't be done, but not without serious consideration. Maybe if you have smaller dogs...

For me, if I go the camping route, I'll probably tow...that's if I can get a camper that I'd want. I gave up my spot in the queue for an Airstream Basecamp when it became clear that I would have the camper way before I had a truck to pull it. Hiatus campers, which was my choice when I thought I'd go popup is currently taking orders for 2024.

Last edited:
OP
OP
messinator

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Haven't seen actual #s for the 21s and 20s. Here's my 22" sticker:
1651628799303.png

Figure two humans, two fairly large dogs, a camper unit a little tricked out at 400+ lbs, water, food, cooking gear, bedding, well, it starts to get pretty tight after not too much calculation. Not saying it can't be done, but not without serious consideration. Maybe if you have smaller dogs...

For me, if I go the camping route, I'll probably tow...that's if I can get a camper that I'd want. I gave up my spot in the queue for an Airstream Basecamp when it became clear that I would have the camper way before I had a truck to pull it. Hiatus campers, which was my choice when I thought I'd go popup is currently taking orders for 2024.
Totally fair enough. I’ve seen it done on tacomas which have about the same payload capacity too.

My main usecase here is storm chasing/skiing which isn’t particularly amenable to trailers though otherwise they’re perfect
Sponsored