Sponsored

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
I thought I would share some details of a quick trip we took this weekend. I got my Rivian delivered Friday, 6/24, so of course I have to go give it a good run.

Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report - towing 6000 lbs 25' Airstream trailer from NV over Donner Pass to Grass Valley, CA PXL_20220625_012009734

Reno is at 4500 feet, Donner Pass is 7000 ft and then back down to the campground (White Cloud) at 4200 feet, 86 miles one-way. Trailer is a 25 ft Airstream with a full tank of water (40 gallons).

Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report - towing 6000 lbs 25' Airstream trailer from NV over Donner Pass to Grass Valley, CA Screenshot_20220627-124923

Left Reno with 97% charge, arrived in Truckee with about 60%. Didn't really need to, but charged to 70% on EVGo - good charge curve from the 50 kW charger as the EA chargers were occupied/down. Plus I could get in without unhooking the trailer, but blocking a loading dock at the store.

Dropped the trailer at the campground and then made a few trips to Grass Valley about 16 miles away. We tried charging at a Charge Point charger but only got about 30 kW on the 62 kW charger. We went back on Sunday and used the other charger and got the full 62 kW charge up to 70%, taking about 45 minutes while we ate lunch. Picked up the trailer and headed back over Donner rolled in to Truckee with about 29% charge. The EA chargers were open and was able to park the trailer without blocking too much of the road and not any of the other chargers. We charged at 150 kW for 20 minutes to get to 62% charge, plenty to get us home to Reno. Rolled into the driveway with about 40% charge left.

Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report - towing 6000 lbs 25' Airstream trailer from NV over Donner Pass to Grass Valley, CA PXL_20220626_020300011
Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report - towing 6000 lbs 25' Airstream trailer from NV over Donner Pass to Grass Valley, CA Screenshot_20220627-124923
Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report - towing 6000 lbs 25' Airstream trailer from NV over Donner Pass to Grass Valley, CA PXL_20220625_012009734
Rivian R1T R1S Trip Report - towing 6000 lbs 25' Airstream trailer from NV over Donner Pass to Grass Valley, CA PXL_20220626_020300011

Overall, very happy with the towing experience. I was surprised the range wasn't impacted as much as I thought going up hill. The only issue I thought was weird was having the regen restricted going down some of the longer-steeper roads.
Sponsored

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
I wonder what would happen if you just towed in All Purpose Mode.....

Horseytime

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LA Silver 20" AT- Launch Edition
I wonder what would happen if you just towed in All Purpose Mode.....
I don't believe you can, meaning, the trailer electrical connection is possibly not available unless tow mode is enabled. I could be mistaken.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
How did the truck do while towing the Airstream uphill? Plenty of power for passing or maxing out at highway speed? How stable did the truck seem while pulling the trailer?

OP
OP

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
How did the truck do while towing the Airstream uphill? Plenty of power for passing or maxing out at highway speed? How stable did the truck seem while pulling the trailer?
I thought it handled great. I usually tow with a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 diesel, I think having the weight of the battery and probably the weight being so low really kept it stable. No problem with power, but I was babying it a little since I didn't know how the range would be. I was getting about 0.7 or 0.8 mile/kwh uphill and over 2 going down hill. I captured the efficiency at the top of Donner Pass at 1.05 on the trip meter that I reset when we left. We did have a slight tail wind heading up the hill. My overall was 1.37 mile/kWh, but that included several runs empty from the campground to town. I would estimate a little over 1 while towing.

The biggest thing I miss compared to the F350 is the mirrors. I can't see the side of my trailer, let alone behind me like I can with my big mirrors on the big truck.

But I estimated about $60 in electricity either via DCFC or at home compared to the 20 gallons of diesel I would have used at $6-7 per gallon.

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
(Not OP, and don't have my R1T yet, but...)

I've towed 5,000 lbs exactly in my Model X 100D.

Even going uphill, into the Sierra Nevadas right near Tahoe where OP was, it still pulls ridiculously well. Even passing; No problem.

The R1T is comparatively so much more powerful at all speeds, I imagine you'd barely notice you have 5000+lbs behind you.

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

(Not OP, and don't have my R1T yet, but...)

I've towed 5,000 lbs exactly in my Model X 100D.

Even going uphill, into the Sierra Nevadas right near Tahoe where OP was, it still pulls ridiculously well. Even passing; No problem.
Seconded. Before my X got totaled I used it to tow my Airstream and it was a CHAMP. VERY firmly planted (probably due to the weight and air suspension), with tons of power to spare. Such an enjoyable experience (but nerve wracking just due to the amount of money on the road). Looking forward to replacing my current tow rig (2014 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4 CrewMax) with my R1T Max Pack when the time comes...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The biggest thing I miss compared to the F350 is the mirrors. I can't see the side of my trailer, let alone behind me like I can with my big mirrors on the big truck.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to tow a trailer that you can't see around with your mirrors. You need mirror extenders.

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
The only issue I thought was weird was having the regen restricted going down some of the longer-steeper roads.
I just pulled my 6k+ boat on a 160mile round trip up to Almanor. Truck did fantastic but I got the same message on way down yesterday. Regen became limited and it said I had to use brakes to slow.. I'm not super impressed with the energy capture coming down the hill. Seems like the efficiency isn't there for regen, hopefully that is something they can improve via software? I've towed using my MX on the same grade and never seen something like that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
Are there extenders for the R1T?
I haven't found extenders that fit. I bought some universal fit at Walmart, but they slid off the end because the mirrors are so thick. Still looking for extended mirrors. Or I may just add side cameras to my trailer.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Waiting for my REI edition Basecamp 16 and wondering how long a trailer has to be to have a serious issue with side and rear visibility. Insights appreciated.

OP
OP

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
Waiting for my REI edition Basecamp 16 and wondering how long a trailer has to be to have a serious issue with side and rear visibility. Insights appreciated.
You will likely be fine without mirror extensions. The Basecamp is 7 feet wide where the wide body Airstreams are 8' 5.5" wide. That will be an awesome combo! I love the basecamps.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
You will likely be fine without mirror extensions. The Basecamp is 7 feet wide where the wide body Airstreams are 8' 5.5" wide. That will be an awesome combo! I love the basecamps.
Thanks for the feedback, relieves some worry :)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Was the ChargePoint you used in Grass Valley at the Briarpatch/co-op? I come up to GV a lot from LA. Just curious if there are more charging options yet? I generally charge my tesla in Auburn, so as to not worry about it while I’m in GV/NC
Sponsored