First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
This is how you manually use trailer brakes on the Rivian.

Some have asked about actuating the trailer brakes. It’s actually more ergonomic that a “traditional” setup. Actuation pressure ramps up a bit, and is based on the set gain.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Is he pressing in on the scroll wheel? Didn't realize they pressed in as well. A nice surprise, hopefully the left one will play/pause media.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Is he pressing in on the scroll wheel? Didn't realize they pressed in as well. A nice surprise, hopefully the left one will play/pause media.
It will, as well as control volume, depending on mode.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

**I have not watched the video yet**

My issue with having limited dedicated buttons is that in an emergency, there is a 100% chance that you are in the wrong mode and the programmable button will not do what you need it to. Ergonomics be damned if you can't quickly and immediately deal with the emergency.

Now, talking trailer brakes, if that programmable button was tied to the wiring connector near the hitch, and always set to trailer brake when something is connected then I might be ok with that.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I would imagine that in tow mode, that button *ONLY* does trailer brakes, that it is no longer configurable.

Although being a strict on/off is slightly annoying, I like having an analog trailer brake controller.

That said, "in an emergency" the trailer brake controller *SHOULD* also be coupled to your brake pedal, so if you're full-force slamming on your brakes, it should be applying full trailer brakes, too. One would assume that a built-in trailer brake controller, especially on a drive-by-wire vehicle, would implement this already.
Sponsored