First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
Toyota has now shown pictures of its BZ4X battery electric vehicle that it has been developing with Subaru. They are still referring to it as a concept car. However, some observers think that it might be close to the finished product.

It's a little bit bigger than the Rav 4 that it is supposed to line up with. There will be 2WD and 4WD versions. Beyond that, there is not much to say. Toyota did not provide battery size or range.

For me, I would look at the BZ4X if I were to re-visit my budget. If I decided that spending the big bucks on a Rivian was over the top, then the Toyota might have appeal.

What DID get my attention was a comment attributed to someone in Toyota that there are hybrid and battery electric versions of the Tacoma out there on the horizon.

When, you ask, will these electrified trucks be making an appearance? Sigh, I think you know the answer to this question only too well ..... SOON!!!
Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Toyota has now shown pictures of its BZ4X battery electric vehicle that it has been developing with Subaru. They are still referring to it as a concept car. However, some observers think that it might be close to the finished product.

It's a little bit bigger than the Rav 4 that it is supposed to line up with. There will be 2WD and 4WD versions. Beyond that, there is not much to say. Toyota did not provide battery size or range.

For me, I would look at the BZ4X if I were to re-visit my budget. If I decided that spending the big bucks on a Rivian was over the top, then the Toyota might have appeal.

What DID get my attention was a comment attributed to someone in Toyota that there are hybrid and battery electric versions of the Tacoma out there on the horizon.

When, you ask, will these electrified trucks be making an appearance? Sigh, I think you know the answer to this question only too well ..... SOON!!!
Looks like a Rav4, not sure why they didn't call it that

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
They want to maintain the Rav4 separate lineup due to its success, and they do not want to complicate the line up more, you already have the LE/XLE..etc and then the Hybrids and the Primes, so adding an EV will become cumbersome.

Another reason is that the BZ line will be shared with Subaru, Suzuki, and Daihatsu within different markets and I highly doubt Toyota wants to share their Rav4 recipe right now.

As for the car itself, I mentioned before on a different thread, if Toyota/Lexus produced a 7 seats SUV with 300+miles, then I would drop my Rivian reservation, otherwise I would keep my Ribian reservation over any other manufacturer. Too many people wondered about the Toyota's lack of EV vehicles, but Toyota always seems a step behind in some technological aspects, mainly because they never release anything unless they know it is 100% practical. I know most of us will argue that current BEV technology is practical, but there wasn't enough data until now and the time seem appropriate for Toyota to insert itself into the equation and my blind trust in them will drive me (pun intended ) to buy into their line.

McRat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, MXLR+, 2xVolts, MC's
Occupation
Tinkerer
Toyota is not going to enter the EV market until forced to. They even have anti-EV billboards in SoCal (Don't recharge, buy a Mirai). I can't believe they thought that was a good idea.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I agree that Toyota isn't going to be serious until forced to. I'd love a 4Runner EV that's simple and relatively cheap but that's not going to happen anytime soon. There are a few legacy companies that are getting more serious about EVs (VW group, Mercedes, GM?) but Toyota is in the back of the pack. Hopefully they can pivot quickly, I'd hate to see them go under.

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

EV requirements in some markets wont stop all their ICE sales in others. I doubt any national or even multi-national (read EU) regulations would make them go under.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Toyota has completely squandered their early mover advantage they had, even actively sabotaged their own EV tech, due to pressure from special interests. They settled on the Prius which was improperly marketed and use of otherwise good technology, especially for the time. Now for the past 20 years the EV industry has had to fight the perception that EV's are necessarily Prius like, which they most certainly do not need to be. Toyota has at this point actively fought against delivering a superior product to protect their own interests even more than GM.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
EV requirements in some markets wont stop all their ICE sales in others. I doubt any national or even multi-national (read EU) regulations would make them go under.
Well maybe not go under but significantly reduce their market share. They are the largest automaker in the world (or #2) but with the EU, half the population of the US and maybe China banning ICE sales by 2030-2035 they will have a much lower market share than they do now.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Well maybe not go under but significantly reduce their market share. They are the largest automaker in the world (or #2) but with the EU, half the population of the US and maybe China banning ICE sales by 2030-2035 they will have a much lower market share than they do now.
Unless they finally adapt. Toyota does have the advantage of money, supplier connections, and a large quantity of engineers.

I am annoyed that Toyota has resisted and even fought against EV adoption, but I am not the average consumer. The average consumer seems to have forgotten about diesel gate and the crimes VW has committed (actual laws broken, crimes against our environment, and utter disdain for the consumer) and it's been only a few short years and VW's image is fine to the average person.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Unless they finally adapt. Toyota does have the advantage of money, supplier connections, and a large quantity of engineers.

I am annoyed that Toyota has resisted and even fought against EV adoption, but I am not the average consumer. The average consumer seems to have forgotten about diesel gate and the crimes VW has committed (actual laws broken, crimes against our environment, and utter disdain for the consumer) and it's been only a few short years and VW's image is fine to the average person.
That's a good point. I hope Toyota is at least thinking about a battery supply, that seems to be the limitation on EVs.

I own a VW and haven't forgotten about diesel gate. I probably won't buy another VW because of it unless it's the only EV option there is. It's nice to see the outcome of diesel gate that VW is now all in on EVs but they could have done that without all the crimes.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

And don't forget then Fiat/ Chrysler now Stellantis did the same thing, albeit on a smaller scale, and settled for $500 million and recalled 100K cars in 2019. A recent article where three execs were charged just reminded me.
Nearly all legacy auto makers have some level of culpability in keeping everyone in ICE vehicles despite superior technology.
Sponsored