Sponsored

Toyota may be producing its own EV truck to rival Rivian.

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
i won't believe this truck is coming to market until it's shipped 100,000 units.

Toyota is anti-EV, and they throw out these stupid things every now and then to get the press, but then the car never comes. They've already stated solid state is coming, but they're going to put it in hybrids only.

I hope Toyota is a 22nd century buggy whip company to my great grand children learning history.
Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
I find the anti-Toyota bias interesting. It's the largest car company in the U.S. and one of the top 2-3 in the world. How did it get to that point? Not by being on the bleeding edge, but by being a step or two behind with reliable, affordable products that sell in volume.

Rivian needs to be on the bleeding edge to get attention and investment. Toyota doesn't.

I'm not saying Toyota hasn't been dragging its feet on EVs, but whatever Toyota is saying publicly, we don't know what it's doing behind the scenes, privately. If Toyota wants to bring a full-on EV truck to market, it could do so as fast or faster than Ford and GM. It has close relations with Denso, the second largest electrical/electronics auto parts company in the world, Panasonic, a world class battery maker, and literally hundreds of well managed, highly capable companies that get inline to work with Toyota. Toyota targets the majority of auto buyers, not people like us who are early adopters.

At the end of the decade, when most buyers are finally ready and willing to buy EVs, Toyota will be one of the companies they buy from.

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
Toyota is no slouch - when they enter this segment , they will be major player. Do not underestimate their ability and scale.
Because all their other EVs were so serious?

StarTrekNerd

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Medical Clerk
i won't believe this truck is coming to market until it's shipped 100,000 units.

Toyota is anti-EV, and they throw out these stupid things every now and then to get the press, but then the car never comes. They've already stated solid state is coming, but they're going to put it in hybrids only.

I hope Toyota is a 22nd century buggy whip company to my great grand children learning history.
Hella anti EV indeed.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Forgot about the Lexus(which seems to have sold ~2000/year). And was only thinking about BEV. If charging an electric car is hard enough, imagine finding a hydrogen station.

Toyota’s sold what, 10k Mirai total worldwide?

Anyway they’ve been doing hybrids for 20 years now, you’d think it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to push out a bunch of fully electric vehicles.

instead they’ve been lobbying against laws to force EV adoption, presumably since they’ve been caught empty handed
I do not think they squandered it. But Toyota isn't going to release a 60-70K car and hope to make it mainstream. The price to energy density ratio is too high for the majority of their buyers,; also their buyers are more willing to shell 2K extra for a hybrid option rather than 60K extra for an EV. You could argue that Lexus is at the price point for a BEV, but since they do share major components, it would be too costly to split. The BEV UX300e was a trial, and it succeeded in low volumes.

At what point do you convince someone to pay 70K for a fully electric camry when they can get a hybrid one for 30K? They need/must have their Toyota lineup be affordable, and quality at the same time.

I am extremely disappointed that they are lagging, because I would much rather get an electric 7 seater from Toyota/Lexus over any other manufacturer, but I get why they are behind. I was hoping they would actually purchase Rivian and base everything on their platform.
Sponsored