Sponsored

Toyota may be producing its own EV truck to rival Rivian.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Toyota wants us to think those are all real vehicles, but they really all are just renders.

KiloV

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
Toyota wants us to think those are all real vehicles, but they really all are just renders.
Yep, they're not real vehicles. But the render does look good. Hopefully Toyota will follow through with some actual progress at some point.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
They just had a teenager make renders of slightly modified versions of existing/previous models, and gave the proverbial "we'll have XXX EV models out by 2067 quote". Notice there was no mention of them developing platforms, or specs, or anything substantive. It was just a "hey don't forget about us" press release.

File it away, and it might be worth discussing again in the late 2020's. If it had even started down the path of development, they would have thrown out a target production date for any one of the 30 they barfed up.

Sponsored

trmckin1

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum, 2016 Lexus GX 460, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Trader
They just had a teenager make renders of slightly modified versions of existing/previous models, and gave the proverbial "we'll have XXX EV models out by 2067 quote". Notice there was no mention of them developing platforms, or specs, or anything substantive. It was just a "hey don't forget about us" press release.

File it away, and it might be worth discussing again in the late 2020's. If it had even started down the path of development, they would have thrown out a target production date for any one of the 30 they barfed up.
Definitely renders. As a long time toyota fan, I wouldn't be shocked if the next Tacoma looks very similar to what they showed yesterday. A decent blend of the new Tundra design and old Tacoma. If they undercut rivian by $30-40k, that would be tough to pass on.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
"Toyota Shows off an Electric Pickup Truck That Could Rival Ford and Tesla"

Note that they know enough not to Say Rivian. It only Rival other trucks that don't exist.

I am more interested in some of the other cars in there:
Rivian R1T R1S Toyota may be producing its own EV truck to rival Rivian. 1639584580638

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Definitely renders. As a long time toyota fan, I wouldn't be shocked if the next Tacoma looks very similar to what they showed yesterday. A decent blend of the new Tundra design and old Tacoma. If they undercut rivian by $30-40k, that would be tough to pass on.
If they undercut Rivian by that much, obviously they aren't competing products and I'd ask myself where that money went. By the time Toyota brings it to market, Rivian could very well have a cheaper two motor version that will be more comparable but still more expensive. Toyota will still be the choice if you want a no frills, intentionally low tech option.

The problem is that their competitive advantage, reliable engines/mechanics with intentionally slow pace of change and low tech and thus high reliability, just got wiped off the map. They have to start from scratch and find a new calling card.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I'm guessing this is related to the new EV battery plant Toyota is building here in NC. Supposed to be operational in 2025, so Rivian has some time to build a name for themselves over the next few years. Innovative and unique hasn't exactly been Toyota's forte for a bit, and I say that as a big Toyota fan overall. Curious to see what they bring to market.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Just found this article, so Toyota is joining the electric truck market with a truck similar in size to the R1T.
https://www.reviewgeek.com/105486/t...pickup-truck-that-could-rival-ford-and-tesla/
I’ve always liked Toyota trucks, and have been disappointed with them dragging their feet on electric vehicles in general. My guess is that their entry will be too little, too late unless they offer a very competitive electric Tacoma that undercuts the Rivian on price and offers comparable range and off road abilities.

Sponsored

trmckin1

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum, 2016 Lexus GX 460, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Trader
If they undercut Rivian by that much, obviously they aren't competing products and I'd ask myself where that money went. By the time Toyota brings it to market, Rivian could very well have a cheaper two motor version that will be more comparable but still more expensive. Toyota will still be the choice if you want a no frills, intentionally low tech option.

The problem is that their competitive advantage, reliable engines/mechanics with intentionally slow pace of change and low tech and thus high reliability, just got wiped off the map. They have to start from scratch and find a new calling card.
I would submit that their competitive advantage isn't reliable engines/mechanics when it comes to the Rivian comparison. That is their advantage against GM/Ford/Stellantis/VW etc... Their advantage over Rivian still sits in the already scaled global manufacturing, supply chain and reputation. That's where the $ went. I can't argue their painfully slow adoption of tech and long model runs. Seems the long model runs might be the new norm with EV's though (see every Tesla offering).

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I would submit that their competitive advantage isn't reliable engines/mechanics when it comes to the Rivian comparison. That is their advantage against GM/Ford/Stellantis/VW etc... Their advantage over Rivian still sits in the already scaled global manufacturing, supply chain and reputation. That's where the $ went. I can't argue their painfully slow adoption of tech and long model runs. Seems the long model runs might be the new norm with EV's though (see every Tesla offering).
They are behind Rivian and most everyone else in terms of scaled manufacturing and supply chain of EVs. The supply chain specifically is why they have been so resistant, because of political pressure. The Japanese economy is highly dependent on local suppliers to the big automakers there, and they all get wiped out if they transition to EVs.

trmckin1

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Trader
They are behind Rivian and most everyone else in terms of scaled manufacturing and supply chain of EVs. The supply chain specifically is why they have been so resistant, because of political pressure. The Japanese economy is highly dependent on local suppliers to the big automakers there, and they all get wiped out if they transition to EVs.
The Japanese have always been that way. Doesn't mean they won't pivot quickly and they seem to be making those strides as we speak. As with any and all parts of EV transition, it requires change from consumers to suppliers. The world (and government) has spoken with the EV transition and I wouldn't be so sure that Toyota hasn't been working behind the scenes for quite sometime. Put it this way... if I'm a battery supplier or tech company, I know what contract I'd rather have... I'd look to Ford to show how quickly that change can happen with the right resources and massive book of manufacturing facilities. Take the MachE (2019 announced) and selling like crazy. Crazy quick to market from launch to build. Same with the lightning. Heck, they just announced they are doubling production of the lightning over the next 24 months. Rivian has been trying to start up since 2009 so that should tell you something right there. That's the kind of scale I'm talking about and Toyota has equal or more power to do the same and do it relatively quickly.

I don't think we will see eye to eye on this topic but do appreciate the respectful discussion... it's all progress as far as I'm concerned. I'll just say that i'm glad to see them throw their hat in the ring and look forward to seeing how legacy builders respond. In the meantime... I want my R1T sooner rather than later ;)

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
(Comparing to my Max Pack reservation here)

If the electric Tacoma:
- Goes 400mi unladen
- Has quad motors, ~200hp each.
- Has an amazing cross linked air suspension
- Has a great frunk
- Can tow 10,000+lbs

... All while costing $50k-60k, compared to my $90k config...

Then I would jump ship to it immediately, slightly saddened by the loss of gear tunnel.

But I don't think anything remotely close to all of that will happen.

Toyota's manufacturing experience and scale doesn't mean batteries and rare Earth magnets will magically cost significantly less for them.

They'll either make it noticeably cheaper and also noticeably worse, or they'll make an equivalent truck that's just as expensive.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
They'll either make it noticeably cheaper and also noticeably worse, or they'll make an equivalent truck that's just as expensive.
They've already said that their strategy is the former, similar to their existing ICE strategy. If they were to make it today/near future, I'd expect it to be:

250+/- mi range - they have less space to work with due to size and would probably try to leverage the existing platform further limiting, so battery would be limited to perhaps 100kwh

dual motors and about 300-350hp
similar/same interior as existing models
7k lbs towing
$55k

But it will have CP/AA, so they have that going for them. However, if all of that were correct, it would be a fantastic alternative to an ICE Tacoma TRD.
Sponsored