Sponsored

Towing with an Electric Pickup Might Pose Charging Challenges

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Here's an article highlighting the lack of pull-through charging stations, not particularly newsworthy at this point although glad to see C&D bringing increased awareness.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33918395/towing-electric-pickup-charging/

The article does however mention a Rivian tidbit I have not heard before:
Rivian's agreements with charging companies specify that it will need space to accommodate vehicles that are towing trailers, and it'll make sure there is room for this type of charging in its own charging network.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Other than Tesla, the only pull through chargers I have seen pictures of is one EVGO station in CA, and even for that one, a trailer could block access depending on how it is parked. None of the EA sites are set up this way, and probably never will be, unless there is some big incentive to do so.

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Having towed a lot with an EV, I can tell you that unhitching to charge is kind of the norm. It's also not a big deal at all. An extra 5 minutes max on both ends of the transaction, even with weight distribution. That said, I mostly tow my camper in good weather (summers on the West Coast) and may feel differently going through that in pouring rain.

Still, everyone should expect to unhitch to "fuel up" for now. Sometimes you'll get lucky, but it's never a good look to block the roadway or other chargers for your own needs.
Sponsored