Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Something that has been bugging me for a while is Rivian's insistence on changing the denominator based on modes and other inferences (even things like charge maximum, if I'm understanding correctly). So 100% could mean 200 miles, or 314 miles, or 150 miles, or anywhere in between based on your charge cap, mode, towing, etc.

I get this if you have a miles-based range estimate, but sometimes I just want to know in straightforward terms what percentage of the total battery capacity is full. I trust my mental math more than opaque estimations based on factors beyond my control.

The first thing I do in any Tesla is change the rangometer from "miles" to "%" for exactly this reason. I hope Rivian provides a way to just show a straight percentage of the full capacity as well.

In the meantime, any conclusion based on # indicated is a little suspect. There are too many confounding variables. Ultimately what we really need is real-time and average Wh/mi data and change in SoC.
I'm confused. I don't own an EV, so maybe I'm missing something. But are you saying you'd rather see 56% full than 174 miles to empy?

If so, how does that work? How do you know how far you can go on that 56%? isn't there a wide range based on temperature, terrain, towing, and technology (best "T" world I could think of for use of climate control)?

thanks
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm confused. I don't own an EV, so maybe I'm missing something. But are you saying you'd rather see 56% full than 174 miles to empy?
That's more or less what I was saying. I think I was confused - I thought the Rivian only offered a miles display, but it sounds like this isn't the case. It sounds like Rivian has both approaches covered here fairly well. I'm still not clear on whether it shows "100%" if you're e.g. at 80% SoC with an 80% charge limit, though. I'd find that wildly confusing

If so, how does that work? How do you know how far you can go on that 56%? isn't there a wide range based on temperature, terrain, towing, and technology (best "T" world I could think of for use of climate control)?
Same way a gas gauge works ?

With the exception of temperature, EVs are generally affected by all the same efficiency factors as ICE vehicles, and ICE vehicles showed a basic 0-100 "state of charge" indicator for a century or so without incident. (I look forward to EV chargers getting so ubiquitous that "woops, I'm almost out" is as casual a thought in an EV as it is in an ICE, rather than a planning crisis.)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
“Putting the truck into Towing mode automatically revises your estimated range, which is itself based on how you've been driving lately. We weren't surprised, then, to see our range drop from nearly 300 miles in default All Purpose mode to less than 200. Thirty-nine miles later, we arrived with 136 miles of range remaining and the battery at 55 percent. Assuming the rate of energy usage remained about the same, that would give us a total range of 175 miles, or 56 percent of its EPA-rated range. This is slightly better than Rivian's guidance, which is impressive considering the second half of the drive was all uphill.”

I am not sure if I am getting their math. They lost 32% of range going 39 miles. 100% would be 122 miles not 175. That is 39% of EPA not 56%. It’s been decades since I graduated so my math may be rusty. What am I missing here?

Side note: Does anyone know what is a difference in pulling 7,700 Ib vs R1T and R1S? Is shorter wheel base makes a big difference? Any features or design difference that impact the experience?
It's not totally clear to me that they had it charged to 100% to start.

And MotorTrend does some wacky math. When they tried to explain how much range they got on their Oregon to California road trip, I could not for the life of me figure out what they were doing. All it did was confirm to me that they don't have a clue who to communicate range with an EV, and this paragraph reinforces that.

Reactions: Max

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
It's not totally clear to me that they had it charged to 100% to start.

And MotorTrend does some wacky math. When they tried to explain how much range they got on their Oregon to California road trip, I could not for the life of me figure out what they were doing. All it did was confirm to me that they don't have a clue who to communicate range with an EV, and this paragraph reinforces that.
Agreed, they are lost on reporting anything related to range. All you need is : we started at x% it fell to y%, we traveled z miles.

That said, it really doesn't matter much. Real world range will depend on many factors. And, it's clear this thing can tow when/if you need to and pan accordingly. Gideontherivian demonstrated by pulling a 6000 lb load 2700 miles cross country in mostly cold, though not freezing weather.

I wouldn't want this as my every day long distance towing rig, but for once in a while or around town, this will be more than up to the task. Plus I can't believe it will pull 9000 pounds 0-60 as fast as my ID4 does it unladen. That's crazy.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Something that has been bugging me for a while is Rivian's insistence on changing the denominator based on modes and other inferences (even things like charge maximum, if I'm understanding correctly). So 100% could mean 200 miles, or 314 miles, or 150 miles, or anywhere in between based on your charge cap, mode, towing, etc.

I get this if you have a miles-based range estimate, but sometimes I just want to know in straightforward terms what percentage of the total battery capacity is full. I trust my mental math more than opaque estimations based on factors beyond my control.

The first thing I do in any Tesla is change the rangometer from "miles" to "%" for exactly this reason. I hope Rivian provides a way to just show a straight percentage of the full capacity as well.

In the meantime, any conclusion based on # indicated is a little suspect. There are too many confounding variables. Ultimately what we really need is real-time and average Wh/mi data and change in SoC.
If Rivian actually gets it right you'd find it to be really useful. The estimate on my Bolt EV was generally really good (a lot of people say it isn't but I have no idea what they are doing that I'm not) *I* would rather get a realistic expectation of range as well as battery percent instead of just some anomalous number that is just based off what the EPA said the car can do.

In my Polestar, the dash just gives you an anomalous number and the battery percentage. I'd almost rather just turn the range number off since it doesn't reflect reality. Using google maps to navigate somewhere will give you an estimated arrival percentage. It's been reasonably close for all of my trips so far.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
cold ambient air temp + uphill + heat on towing 7k lbs probably has a 15 mile range if not using infotainment.

bprepared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD off road
Occupation
Engineer
This is a fun comparison:

R1T towing 9k lbs: Instrumented testing revealed the truck was still able to accelerate to 60 mph from a stop in 7.5 seconds

Tacoma 0-60: 7.7 seconds.

Is this a loaded Tacoma comparison? As a Tacoma driver, I think the numbers would be a bit better- Source?

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

This is a fun comparison:

R1T towing 9k lbs: Instrumented testing revealed the truck was still able to accelerate to 60 mph from a stop in 7.5 seconds

Tacoma 0-60: 7.7 seconds.
Is that Tacoma 0-60 w or w/o a trailer?

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired