First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
This is an interesting data point but I think we all need to chill with reading into the “miles remaining” guess-o-meter. You cannot generalize that to representative real-world range.

Actual kWh/mi at various speeds with a standardized load will be a start, but trailer aerodynamics and other factors will have a huge impact. No chart is going to tell you exactly what to expect.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You're assuming way to much...........for not being there and knowing the circumstances.
oh, pray tell... what is probably wrong about what I said?

Joewillie

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Firefighter
I have a 2020 Tacoma V6, 4x4, & auto. Drove to Michigan to buy an 18 foot center console boat last month. Probably 3500lb boat, trailer, motor.

I got 23mpg going there @70 mph.

With boat, 11.5 mpg@ 64 mph.

if I brought the speed down to 60mph my range went to approximately 14mpg but it was dark and I was more of a hazard at that speed..

But towing kills your vehicles efficiency, and not a strong suite of any ev.. The R1T range while towing this type of load shouldn't be a shock. (oh geez, pardon the pun).

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Ugh, look at that phone stuck to the windshield. Disgusting! THIS is why we need CarPlay/AndroidAuto.

Wake up, Rivian!

And assuming that estimate is accurate, that's only 118 miles range for 135kWh. Yuck. ~1,281 W/mi at the plug (compared to 480 W/mi, not towing).
Yeah, not having CarPlay will be hard for me… I was so happy when CarPlay came out and I could finally stop gluing my phone to the windshield and overheating it. If they add Waze, Google Maps, Apple Music, etc as apps in their ecosystem, I won’t need CarPlay, but I doubt that will happen

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Wow, there are some fanboys in serious denial. This is a picture of real world towing! While the range sucks, I believe it is accurate. @BigE is spot on, this is probably why Rivian has been mute on towing range.
I really hope photos like this plague the internet and make everyone (even Rivian) know the you need to order a phone mount as soon as you get your vehicle!

Sponsored

StormyKnight

First Name
Stormy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt / Silverado Hybrid
This is disappointing but I’d like more than one data point. I need at least 1200W/mi pulling a two horse trailer to make it to my closest charger. I hope more of this real world data starts creeping in soon.

OP
OP

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Some charging info. Not clear if a 150kw or 350kw charger.

99 kw added in 50min with a starting charge of 17%.

Start: 23kw (17%) end 122kw (90%) @ 119kwh charge rate average over 50 minutes.

I wonder how long 80-90% took. Another post said 80-95% takes as long as 30-80% which is pretty consistent with other EVs.

This has some Tesla charts for comparison. A model 3 long range averages up to 128 kw from 20-80%.

https://insideevs.com/news/519382/tesla-model3-82kwh-charging-analysis/amp/

Last edited:

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
I have a 2020 Tacoma V6, 4x4, & auto. ….

I got 23mpg going there @70 mph.

With boat, 11.5 mpg@ 64 mph.

if I brought the speed down to 60mph my range went to approximately 14mpg but it was dark and I was more of a hazard at that speed..
Same experience over this last summer...my first with any regular towing. Towing at least a 5500 lb conventional, boxy, 8’ wide camping trailer with our GLE43 (twin turbo, 362 hp, 384 ft-lb low rpm) I also noticed a substantial difference at 65 mph vs. staying close to 60. Vast majority of our miles were all 2 lane highways..really don’t like the interstates, and my wife prefers more days with shorter distances anyway.
I’m still waiting to see other users experiences with a Max Pack..and apparently I have a really long wait to fully decide anyway.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Wow, there are some fanboys in serious denial. This is a picture of real world towing! While the range sucks, I believe it is accurate. @BigE is spot on, this is probably why Rivian has been mute on towing range.
I really hope photos like this plague the internet and make everyone (even Rivian) know the you need to order a phone mount as soon as you get your vehicle!
Max Pack... Anyone who's towing regularly should get one (or a diesel half ton if you're serious).

Fanboy or not, R1T is still the best option out there for range and towing in the EV truck segment period. Not bad for startup.

And I'll be honest... I've never used Android Auto in any of my vehicles (Ford, JLR, GM, etc). My wife's Apple Car play seems nice, but I'm so surprised this is what people talk about when digging the Rivian rather then the poor camera situation needs to be overhauled.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

@ja_kub_sz I tow with a 1-ton diesel, it'll be a LONG time before any EV will be able to replace it. I don't have integrated CarPlay or Android Auto in my truck, so I am very aware of all the different phone and tablet mounts. Sucks that I will still have to use one in the Rivian but that's what you get with an all new product/company looking for ways to monetize it's customers.
As for cameras, I don't have those either (other than backup) and wish they were better. I don't complain about them because I have never used them so I don't know what I am missing.
The complaints are really about technology that we all use everyday that is not included. I think it is fair to complain and I had hoped that Rivian's nav would be on par or better than Waze. It appears it is not. That is truly unfortunate!

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm getting tired of people who don't tow trying to use magical thinking to criticize or justify Rivian towing numbers.

Anyone who tows on a regular basis knows exactly what will happen to the range. This truck doesn't defeat the physics any better than an ICE truck.

If I needed to tow a lot over long distances I'd stick with a heavy duty diesel truck which are awesome at handling the job and give you lots of flexibility filing it with fuel quickly over the course of your trip.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
@ja_kub_sz
As for cameras, I don't have those either (other than backup) and wish they were better. I don't complain about them because I have never used them so I don't know what I am missing.
The complaints are really about technology that we all use everyday that is not included. I think it is fair to complain and I had hoped that Rivian's nav would be on par or better than Waze. It appears it is not. That is truly unfortunate!
Certain technology is ubiquitous Waze, Android Auto, Apple Car Play, etc. I completely agree they're important, and Rivian no doubt will have their version. Will they be better, probably not (IDK), but the camera's from what I've seen and heard are really poor quality. More so then Rivian's other proprietary offerings.

I mean it's not like Rivian makes the camera's for it's vehicles, they buy them 3rd party I'm sure. How could they be that bad?

I'm nervous this is something more then a UI update/fix.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Max pack or large pack?
No one is getting a Rivian with a Max pack in 2021, Launch Edition or otherwise. Max Pack hasn't been installed, let a lone EPA'd yet. It won't be till 2022 (and don't expect early 2022).

But towing kills your vehicles efficiency, and not a strong suite of any ev.
It's not a strong suit of any vehicle. I.C.E. tend to off-set this by upgrading their fuel tank capacity to something absurd like 50 gallons or what-not. They still suffer from reduced efficiency regardless.

When the Max pack comes out, we'll see towing ranges in the 250'ish mile range due to the extra weight. And who knows how much millage we'll see once more energy dense/efficient batteries make their debut (graphene, solid-state, etc, etc, etc).

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Towing is likely going to be worse with the max pack. A lot more weight adding 50 kwh worth of battery to the vehicle and to accelerate and move. This is not a heavy nor a high wind resistant load tow vehicle. They are towing the mustang on the trailer which is an easy towing load. 4000 lb car and 2500 lb trailer that is low and minimal wind resistance on such a load compared to an enclosed. This Rivian will be great for local tows but if you are going to pull a full size camper, or anything heavier it should be local. People need to set there expectations appropriately and buy the right tool for the job.

Rivian should be ahead of this and explaining to purchasers through the press on what to expect as I can see some that might be buying this for want to tow 200-300 miles a day and are going to provide alot of negative press for the company.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Gonna throw my $.23 in here for the whole AndroidAuto/CarPlay thing - seems to come down to personal preference. For me and I'm guessing many others who may not know...there is a 'Cheat Sheet' aka simple icon cluster that I think was in the lower right hand corner of the small screen. That would probably suffice vs having to solely utilize the the large screen for Range info only. Guessing the lower right-hand corner info cluster has been customized to Gideon's liking in the initial photo. There are a few, but I vividly remember a thin vertical line indicating range that the Drive Guide pointed out which I don't see.

Plus you're on a road trip, it's not like you're going to miss a turn in the next 40 miles vs using Nav around town in an area you're not familiar with? Plenty of time to flip back and forth between Nav/Range/Music if you must have everything gigantically displayed on the large screen.

So to me this remains a mystery as to why they had the need for a phone in use for Nav...other than to send many of us into a speculative tizzy?!? ? ;) :cool:

Maybe they were being super cautious, or using it for direct comparison vs the RiviNav (TM pending but I'll allow others the use of said catchphrase here, lol ;) and just happened to take a photo of the setup while it was on the Range info screen instead of Nav...would our blood be boiling as much or differently here if the center screen had been on the RiviNav or Music screen, or some other screen?

Bottom line is most everyone is going to have all the information they need where, and how they want it.

Guessing Gideon is an Employee owner posting on Socials?
Sponsored