Sponsored

Towing Capacity & Range -- Possible to tow 6,500 pounds 150 miles without a recharge?

MSU-Rivian

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I just took delivery of our R1T and am curious about towing capacity. Everything I read says to expect a 50% decline in mileage. Do you think I can tow my boat 6,500 pounds 150 miles without a re(charge). Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Even without knowing which tires/wheels you have, I'm going to say no, it's pretty unlikely.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
It obviously depends on what kinds of grades you'll be towing it on. I've towed my 25' center console to/from SLC to Bear Lake numerous times now (about 130 miles). From SLC, I have to start out with the notorious I-80 climb up Parley's canyon, which sucks the range right out of the gate. However, from there, it's relatively benign. Since my trailer has brakes, I usually tow in conserve mode with zero issues. When going to Bear Lake, I juice up to 80% or more at the EA in Evanston, WY. I've made the return trip without having to charge (and I've actually gained 12 - 15 miles of range on the Parley's descent).

Goes w/o saying, but NEVER trust the estimated, remaining range and ALWAYS err on the side of caution and top off when and where you can. As far as long range, multi-charge trips...don't do it. I shared my experience with an enclosed, single axle Wells Cargo from SLC to San Diego and it was a horrible experience. It wasn't so much the R1T as it was the charging network. To say that the network (EA, CP, RN, etc.) Is unreliable would be a vast understatement. The infrastructure and maintenance of said charging facilities has a LONG way to go before it/they can be deemed "reliable".

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Not nearly enough variables provided to answer. Average temps? Elevation change? Composition of the trailer's aero dynamics?

Then you've got to factor in the occasionals that cost you range - extreme high or low temps. Rain/wet roads. Etc.

Best gauge is to assume you're going to get anywhere from 33%-50% of your overall max range when towing, depending on all the various factors involved.

I would not assume you can make this trip without at least a 10 minute stop for a little juice.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Check out these two videos

If I were trailering (which I will be) I'd assume about 1 mi/Kw on the flat, and about 0.6 mi/Kw towing through mountain ranges

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Depends on the roads. If you can keep on 55 mph roads, probably a good chance.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
Aero matters more than weight
Agreed. However, my Wells Cargo is triangular at front. Didn't seem to matter much. My Center Console is the opposite of aerodynamic...ha ha.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It obviously depends on what kinds of grades you'll be towing it on. I've towed my 25' center console to/from SLC to Bear Lake numerous times now (about 130 miles). From SLC, I have to start out with the notorious I-80 climb up Parley's canyon, which sucks the range right out of the gate. However, from there, it's relatively benign. Since my trailer has brakes, I usually tow in conserve mode with zero issues. When going to Bear Lake, I juice up to 80% or more at the EA in Evanston, WY. I've made the return trip without having to charge (and I've actually gained 12 - 15 miles of range on the Parley's descent).

Goes w/o saying, but NEVER trust the estimated, remaining range and ALWAYS err on the side of caution and top off when and where you can. As far as long range, multi-charge trips...don't do it. I shared my experience with an enclosed, single axle Wells Cargo from SLC to San Diego and it was a horrible experience. It wasn't so much the R1T as it was the charging network. To say that the network (EA, CP, RN, etc.) Is unreliable would be a vast understatement. The infrastructure and maintenance of said charging facilities has a LONG way to go before it/they can be deemed "reliable".
Totally agree.

Sponsored

FNWY2004

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 04 Porsche 911 GT3
Occupation
Real Estate
Going with a hard no from experience. Same weight V-Nose Car Hauler. I tried pushing to 115 miles and dipped 4kWh past 0. Rule of thumb 1% battery per mile and you’ll be safe. Also the charge time back to 80% from 0% even on a 350kW charger blows. The truck ramps down to 150kWh and says cooling battery at around 50% SOC, then continues to ramp down to 80%. If you need more than 80%, I hope you brought a good book. The crawl to 100% is excruciating.

SonomaDriver

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
These stories are a bit brutal but not shocking. I'm hoping that over time, software improvements will help nudge the range a tad but just as importantly, help on charging speed. My experience so far with overall charging speed of my R1T compared to my Model Y isn't favorable to Rivian.

SonomaDriver

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
These stories are a bit brutal but not shocking. I'm hoping that over time, software improvements will help nudge the range a tad but just as importantly, help on charging speed. My experience so far with overall charging speed of my R1T compared to my Model Y isn't favorable to Rivian.
The Y will charge faster (I think) for a couple of reasons, the biggest is the battery is only 57% (78 vs 135 kWh) the capacity of the Rivian. Second, I think the Tesla has a bit better battery management (read cooling) performance right now.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Sounds like the charging is cooling limited if what the poster above says is true.
Sponsored