Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Hey all. New member here. Current owner of a Model X with which I tow an Aistream Bambi 22FB trailer. It's 3900 pounds without cargo and the X can tow up to 5000. Considering the R1T to tow a larger Airstream I'd like to purchase, a Classic 30RB which has a base weight of 7800 pounds. I know the max of the R1T is 11000 pounds so I'd be well within that but any thoughts on range impact? My X with the Bambi behind it gives me about 60% of range (on average). Would the hit be similar with the R1T you think or less/more? I'm hoping as a truck the R1T's specs would make it more efficient at towing. I know we're all guessing here so appreciate all theories!
Just wondering? Have you ever towed your Airstream with your X and tried to recharge at a Supercharger? Do you first have to unhook the Airstream, park it someplace, charge up and then hook the Airstream back up?
Tesla's all require you back into the charging stalls, which you cannot do when towing anything! Luckily Rivians charge from the front. Meaning you keep your trailer attached in some places.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Just wondering? Have you ever towed your Airstream with your X and tried to recharge at a Supercharger? Do you first have to unhook the Airstream, park it someplace, charge up and then hook the Airstream back up?
Tesla's all require you back into the charging stalls, which you cannot do when towing anything! Luckily Rivians charge from the front. Meaning you keep your trailer attached in some places.
Many Tesla Supercharger now have the charger closest to the transformers setup to pull in forward vs. have to back in. Unfortunately, that usually means your trailer is hanging out behind you blocking traffic flow in the lot. So in most cases you’d still need to drop the trailer unless you don’t mind blocking traffic while you charge.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian is planning for several pull-through charging stalls in Salida, CO (and probably anywhere else RAN can obtain the necessary real estate to support).

OP
OP

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2022 Model S, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Yes, many times. I've done both. Driving in sideways and blocking stalls (only at superchargers that aren't busy and I standby to move it if required, see photo) as well as unhitching and then charging. Latter is a bit more involved of course but I'm now pretty fast at the manoeuvre. ;-)

Tesla also has a few pull in stations. For instance, the one in Berlin, Vermont. Look it up on Google you'll see what I mean. Not enough of those of course but overall, I manage.

More importantly, on short distance weekend getaways, I charge at the camp site. You actually save the time and pain of driving through a gas station with a trailer in tow.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing Airstream Classic IMG_0697

OP
OP

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many Tesla Supercharger now have the charger closest to the transformers setup to pull in forward vs. have to back in. Unfortunately, that usually means your trailer is hanging out behind you blocking traffic flow in the lot. So in most cases you’d still need to drop the trailer unless you don’t mind blocking traffic while you charge.
That's true but I've yet to come across a SuperCharger where I could use that stall without completely blocking passage to folks with my trailer sticking out or tolerate the fear of folks driving into it.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Yes, many times. I've done both. Driving in sideways and blocking stalls (only at superchargers that aren't busy and I standby to move it if required, see photo) as well as unhitching and then charging. Latter is a bit more involved of course but I'm now pretty fast at the manoeuvre. ;-)

Tesla also has a few pull in stations. For instance, the one in Berlin, Vermont. Look it up on Google you'll see what I mean. Not enough of those of course but overall, I manage.

More importantly, on short distance weekend getaways, I charge at the camp site. You actually save the time and pain of driving through a gas station with a trailer in tow.
What’s been your experienced relative efficiency loss when towing vs not? 50%?

OP
OP

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What’s been your experienced relative efficiency loss when towing vs not? 50%?
50% yes. You can make that better or worse. Speed is the biggest contributor to range loss when towing. Go slow in mild weather and you can achieve some pretty decent performance.

GMK83

First Name
Guerin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder)
I’ve been thinking about the Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB. Do you think the R1S will have issues towing this?

Matsayz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Y
I’ve been thinking about the Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB. Do you think the R1S will have issues towing this?
It should not have any issues. Really it shouldn’t have any issues with most trailers with the exception of range. Personally I don’t have a problem stopping every 200miles for about 30mins. I just don’t want to un-hitch...

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It should not have any issues. Really it shouldn’t have any issues with most trailers with the exception of range. Personally I don’t have a problem stopping every 200miles for about 30mins. I just don’t want to un-hitch...
Don't be surprised if you need to recharge every 100 miles or so when towing.

Sponsored

Matsayz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Y
Don't be surprised if you need to recharge every 100 miles or so.
Im 4-5yrs out from buying the trailer and the truck so I’m hoping batteries will be even better by then. We’ve got a 3 and a Y right now.

OP
OP

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Im 4-5yrs out from buying the trailer and the truck so I’m hoping batteries will be even better by then. We’ve got a 3 and a Y right now.
Well, with 400+ miles in the max pack for the R1T and my general experience towing with the model X, I’m hoping for a 50% range loss. This would make your 200 miles a possibility.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well, with 400+ miles in the max pack for the R1T and my general experience towing with the model X, I’m hoping for a 50% range loss. This would make your 200 miles a possibility.
Only if you're running the battery from 100% all the way to 0 which isn't advisable. Assuming you only use 80% of the available charge and neglecting any weather or grade related range reduction, that 50% towing reduction quickly drops you down to 160 miles of peak theoretical range. Factor in other considerations along with charger locations and you probably won't even reach that. There will certainly be scenarios, such as the first/last leg of a trip, where you might want to use closer to 90% of the battery but in general you will want to charge more frequently just to stay out of the high taper portion of the charging curve.

OP
OP

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Only if you're running the battery from 100% all the way to 0 which isn't advisable. Assuming you only use 80% of the available charge and neglecting any weather or grade related range reduction, that 50% towing reduction quickly drops you down to 160 miles of peak theoretical range. Factor in other considerations along with charger locations and you probably won't even reach that. There will certainly be scenarios, such as the first/last leg of a trip, where you might want to use closer to 90% of the battery but in general you will want to charge more frequently just to stay out of the high taper portion of the charging curve.
Of course, but on average, I do get 50% of total range when towing my AS with my X. That’s the average. It will indeed vary depending on weather and road but my point is the Rivian max pack should give us a better starting point than with today’s largest available packs. That’s the 200 miles I’m talking about. After that, up to you to push the limit or not. I’ve certainly towed to 5% more than once. And I’ve also extended my range by slowing down.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Of course, but on average, I do get 50% of total range when towing my AS with my X. That’s the average. It will indeed vary depending on weather and road but my point is the Rivian max pack should give us a better starting point than with today’s largest available packs. That’s the 200 miles I’m talking about. After that, up to you to push the limit or not. I’ve certainly towed to 5% more than once. And I’ve also extended my range by slowing down.
It's also possible that since the aero on the Rivian pretty much sucks in comparison to the Tesla, the trailer may not extract as much of a penalty.
Sponsored