Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I've been disappointed that nobody has been sharing any experiences towing a car. Lots of boats, but no cars. @gideontherivian had kind of shared some towing teasers, but I assume he was an employee, and so no efficiency, charging, or general experiences notes were really shared. So I had to try it myself!

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a car (to and from the track) with R1T - my experience & report IMG_2624

That trailer, empty, is supposed to be 2210 lbs, and the car I think is about 3685 lbs, so probably just a little shy of 6000 lbs total.

It worked really well. I wouldn't say you couldn't feel the weight, but it felt like a lot less than you would expect. Towing mode sets the dampers to stiff, and I think that goes a long way to taming all that extra mass that's sitting on the tow ball. It was impressive. If you hit a bump, you'd get one nice compression + rebound cycle on the truck, and then you could see the trailer bounce a few extra times in the mirror (but you wouldn't feel it, and it wouldn't pull you around). It definitely tows better than any half ton I've towed with (though admittedly, I've only towed with older half tons).

I'm really curious to learn how regen works along with electric trailer brakes. With the surge brakes on the u-haul, a decent amount of regen would trigger the surge brakes, and then you'd kinda lose the ability to capture that energy until you start accelerating again. In some cases, it would have been really nice to just let the truck regen, and only use the trailer brakes if you really need them. There's a fine line here, I'm sure, keeping the rig stable while also trying to take advantage of regen. But I would expect that the electric trailer brake controller might be able to do that better than surge brakes, which basically have no control. That might impact range?

So, range. After "learning" the trailer, the truck estimated full-charge range of 150 miles. This estimate seemed to move a little throughout the trip though. The energy use summary is below. This is for a round trip with minor elevation change (traveling between Redmond WA and The Ridge Motorsports Park). On the way there, there was minimal traffic, and I was traveling a little over 60mph on average. On the way back, I just drove with traffic, but there was a lot more traffic. So there was stop-and-go, and there were periods of ~70mph. The consumption at 70mph is definitely worse, but the stability is still great.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a car (to and from the track) with R1T - my experience & report IMG_2634

The bad.

There weren't really that many issues, but I do have a few complaints. First and foremost, I learned that the navigation doesn't use the estimated range that the vehicle shows you. I was at the track with something like 50% battery shown, about 80 miles of range. I entered my home address in the nav, 100 miles away. It gave me a route with zero chargers, and told me I'd arrive with about 30-40 miles of range. I cancelled and tried again, and it did the same thing. It's as if it was just using my non-towing "All Purpose" range estimate for route planning. What gives?!

Second, and news to nobody, I really wish towing mode didn't disable every driver assist. Every other vehicle I know of will still allow adaptive cruise control with a trailer hooked up. Also, I think many half tons will extend your blind-spot detection to reach the length of the trailer. Rivian just disables all of that. Kinda annoying.

Third isn't towing related, but I discovered that the gear guard cable is restrictively short. I couldn't even reach it around a row of 4 wheels in the bed of the truck. 🤷‍♂️

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a car (to and from the track) with R1T - my experience & report IMG_2623

And of course, the obligatory fastest-lap video from the day!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Third isn't towing related, but I discovered that the gear guard cable is restrictively short. I couldn't even reach it around a row of 4 wheels in the bed of the truck
That's why they sell a longer one in the gear shop for $100.

bkswede

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 M50i 2017 Camaro ZL1 1963 Chevy II
Occupation
CPA
I look forward to experiencing the towing capabilities of my R1S when I finally get it (my delivery window is August/September)… love your SS… the Alpha platform is incredible…
Rivian R1T R1S Towing a car (to and from the track) with R1T - my experience & report 13B5AC4E-880D-4D86-8910-CC97E4F8BA04

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Ram uses the blind spot monitors to gauge trailer length(you do a sequence of turns with the trailer attached to calibrate), then adjusts monitoring to suit.

Hopefully Rivian will add something like that.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Third isn't towing related, but I discovered that the gear guard cable is restrictively short. I couldn't even reach it around a row of 4 wheels in the bed of the truck. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_2623.jpeg
Be careful tying down to the front of the truck up against the tonneau cover. I always tie things up to the rear side against the tailgate to ensure I don't damage the ultra-fragile tonneau cover.

Ape Latex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for sharing. This is the first data point I've seen about how much energy the Rivian uses to tow a track car on an open trailer, which I plan to do when I get my R1T. Very helpful.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Nice to see towing a car you got nearly 1.5 mi/kWh. I'm a max pack preorder, but one of the reasons is to ensure towing my car to the track is a real possibility. One track I frequent is about 110 miles and the other is just shy of 80 miles. Not having to charge at least on the way there will be quite nice since I'm usually leaving the house stupid-early in the morning. Of course I also see you're on the 21s...I wonder how much worse this would be on the 20s.

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Nice to see towing a car you got nearly 1.5 mi/kWh. I'm a max pack preorder, but one of the reasons is to ensure towing my car to the track is a real possibility. One track I frequent is about 110 miles and the other is just shy of 80 miles. Not having to charge at least on the way there will be quite nice since I'm usually leaving the house stupid-early in the morning. Of course I also see you're on the 21s...I wonder how much worse this would be on the 20s.
I originally had a max pack with 20s reserved, but I got impatient. I switched to the 21s when I settled for the 300 mile pack specifically because of this use case. I did make a new reservation with the intent of switching to the 400 though. I just haven’t completely settled on 20 vs 21 for the next one now. The 20s would be better for the occasional winter trips I do, and they look better. But the 21s are better for everything else :/.

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Extremely disappointing that the Rivian navigation let you down on range estimation/charging guidance. Huge problem when road tripping. Seems like this should have come up in some of the professional reviews, but I don't recall hearing it.

OP
OP

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Extremely disappointing that the Rivian navigation let you down on range estimation/charging guidance. Huge problem when road tripping. Seems like this should have come up in some of the professional reviews, but I don't recall hearing it.
Yeah. If you would have asked me a year ago what I expected Rivian to do well, route/charge planning would have been near the top of the list. But now with almost 5000 miles on the truck, I’ve got to say I’m pretty disappointed. It’s better than Audi charge planning, but not by much. I really hope we start seeing more emphasis on navigation in the upcoming updates.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
You can modify your efficiency in ABRP and get it to do that work for you, but that is a work around and the truck should do that for us. I will be doing a long tow soon so good to know

BobinIndy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '54 Jaguar XK120
Occupation
Program Manager - Consumer Electronics/Mfg.
Clubs

And of course, the obligatory fastest-lap video from the day!

[/QUOTE]

Very nice... but was hoping to see a video of the R1T bombing around the track... next time? :)

pasdechevre

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales Rep
I have been towing sales samples in a 16x10 Stealth Trailer for the last couple of months. Longest tow was 592 miles from Buffalo, NY to ME. Here is some of my feedback;
Range - seems like wind resistance (my trailer is tall and square) is worse than weight when it comes to range. I have been getting 1 - 1.3miles / kwh driving at 65-69mph. I estimate that trailer and samples weigh roughly 6,000 lbs. Not getting that much better range when I tow the trailer empty. Speed changes the range dramatically.
Navigation / Route planning - I quickly realized that that when towing Rivians system is not at all functional. It wanted to send me routes that do not have chargers and longer than what the estimated range was for the vehicle. I use plugshare to map my route. Have informed Rivian about this navigation issue.
Charging with trailer, most of the time I have to unhitch the trailer to charge bit of a pain for sure.
Overall driving with trailer has been really good. Merging in and out of traffic, stability etc. is really really good. I have been using an F-150 Ecoboost for the last six years and the Rivian tows better, albeit not as far..

Rivian R1T R1S Towing a car (to and from the track) with R1T - my experience & report Rivian Tow
Sponsored