Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Well, sadly the R1T didn't make it home.. Major failures coming home down the moutain out of Anderson in 100 deg Temps. First low battery voltage failure, then low coolant warning, battery warm warning and then the truck went Into an emergency shutdown procedure and I couldn't get off the highway so I'm stuck attached to the trailer, with now way to unbrick the truck so I can at least get the trailer home (only about 30 miles from home).
At this point Rivian said they have never dealt with this situation (no way to move vehicle, or release E brake.)
It was all going so well.. this was the easy part coming downhill..

I'm currently waiting ( 3 hours so far) on a busy I5 truck highway, waiting on a tow truck and a CHP vehicle so we can get my trailer and truck home, then off to the service center..
Ugg

20220623_151328(0).jpg
That is terrible! Most importantly, be safe! Good luck!
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Well, sadly the R1T didn't make it home.. Major failures coming home down the moutain out of Anderson in 100 deg Temps. First low battery voltage failure, then low coolant warning, battery warm warning and then the truck went Into an emergency shutdown procedure and I couldn't get off the highway so I'm stuck attached to the trailer, with now way to unbrick the truck so I can at least get the trailer home (only about 30 miles from home).
At this point Rivian said they have never dealt with this situation (no way to move vehicle, or release E brake.)
It was all going so well.. this was the easy part coming downhill..

I'm currently waiting ( 3 hours so far) on a busy I5 truck highway, waiting on a tow truck and a CHP vehicle so we can get my trailer and truck home, then off to the service center..
Ugg

20220623_151328(0).jpg
Brutal - hang tough.

Try jump starting the 12V battery maybe?

OP
OP
HA-Opec

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Brutal - hang tough.

Try jump starting the 12V battery maybe?
Tried that too. 12v seems to be ok. The truck locks and unlocks ok, but main screens don't boot up.. bricked.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Tried that too. 12v seems to be ok. The truck locks and unlocks ok, but main screens don't boot up.. bricked.
I wonder if it is the other 12 volt battery. Seemed like the Monroe crew said it looked like separate 12 volt circuits but not sure I trust that assessment, seems like a strange configuration.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
That had to be more than a little stressful.

But did you know that Rivian is planning on adding WIND POWER to the Plant in Normal.... Sorry for being sarcastic.... And I could bake cookies in the cab of my truck overnight as it gets so damn warm.. 90's.

Open up a go fund me page and I'll send you some beer money :)

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Hi pal, hope you made if off I-5 and eventually back home.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
That absolutely sucks. I wish you a lot of patience.

I am not sure how much silver lining there is here but at least this didn't happen on the way out.

The more of these stories I read, the more I question if I have the stomach to be an early adopter.

I hope things work out the best it can for you after this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HA-Opec

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Totally watching this thread as I expect to do towing when I take delivery in week...
Curious how many miles are on his truck prior to this unfortunate adventure...
1000 of those miles has been towing something.. boat, jet skis, dock, tracktor, trailer, dump trailer, car, flatbed. I'm using it like my old truck .. not hard, just using it like a truck.

OP
OP
HA-Opec

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
1000 of those miles has been towing something.. boat, jet skis, dock, tracktor, trailer, dump trailer, car, flatbed. I'm using it like my old truck .. not hard, just using it like a truck.
Latest update.
Spent about 4 hours on i5 waiting for Rivian to get a tow company. Finally got a tow, took it to my house and tomorrow, it goes to west Sac for repair ( three days later) The truck definitely lost some type of cooling fluid or coolant. It was dripping something out of the front passenger area. This concerns me as I know the battery had no way of cooling itself which is why it totally bricked itself. After 4 hours, it finally turned on enough so I could release the e brake and tow truck could take it home, and I could hook up trailer

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with this truck now. That experience had to carve some life out of the truck.. It seems that the overheating fried some other systems as well.
No R1T for loaners, bummer.

On another not, I saw a limestone R1T for the first time today.
I liked it :)

Sponsored

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Wow that is scary and very concerning. Considering most of my miles will be towing our camper, much smaller camper but same uses. Watching this with concern.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
We have goodsam roadside, I am wondering if there is any value in that.

Probably not since goodsam would probably do the same thing (call around and find the same local tow company).

But they are experienced towing trailers, RVs, etc.

If I fell into that situation I would call Rivian ask for an ETA then call goodsam.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Best tow contracts are with AAA. The rest pretty much feed for the same provider networks; although Rivian may have had to pay retail out of pocket for this one.

OP
OP
HA-Opec

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
We have goodsam roadside, I am wondering if there is any value in that.

Probably not since goodsam would probably do the same thing (call around and find the same local tow company).

But they are experienced towing trailers, RVs, etc.

If I fell into that situation I would call Rivian ask for an ETA then call goodsam.
I have AAA, but because it was a warranty issue and they didn't want me to move it I was stuck. Hindsight I should have just did what i needed to do to get my trailer, leave the truck and let them deal with it.. If I were to call AAA I could have been out of there in an hour. For whatever reason Rivian said they had to "call" and get bids, way to long...
We will see what they say tomorrow.

CUBldr97

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA MS85 RIVIAN reservation holder
wow, what an ordeal. hope it all gets resolved, good luck and keep us posted!
Sponsored