Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired

ryanpei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Ford F150 Hybrid
Here is my simple wish list for a tear drop style camper to tow with my Rivian R1T

I want at least 200 miles range in the summer
I want to relocate my iKamper Mini 3 to it
I want the camper to have a toilet
I want the camper capable of off-road to some degree
While not ready for primetime, any of these will be a game changer:

https://coloradoteardrops.com/future-models/
or if you want bigger...
https://www.dethleffs.de/en/news/ehome-alps-challenge/
or bigger....
https://www.airstream.com/air-lab/concepts/estream/

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

If you’re looking for an off roading trailer, Ember RV is worth a look IMO. I’ve only checked these out a few times but they seem well built and they have a fully articulating suspension.

https://www.emberrv.com/

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Wrangler
I really liked my Casita 17 footer. All fiberglass like a boat. Has a kitchen and bath. I pulled it with my Jeep and also an F150. Sadly I sold it move overseas. Been researching for a similar camper but that sleeps 4 and a huge dog. Maybe an Escape 21.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

WE plan to tow our Airstream with our R1T when we get it. Our Airstream is a 25FB that weighs in at 7,200#. We are hoping to get 120 miles on a charge. A range like that can work for our camping style. We take long Airstream trips but rarely cover more than 200 miles in a day.

We hope to take Factory Delivery of our R1T in Normal. We plan to pull the Airstream to Normal with the Silverado. We already have a campground staked out about ten miles from the Factory. We will take delivery of our R1T and spend a week or so trying it out touring central Illinois. We will then hook the Airstream to the R1T. SuEllyn will Tow the Airstream back to Florida. I will follow her in the Silverado.

Brian

Rivian R1T R1S Tow Test - Rivian R1T & nuCamp TAB 320 S Boondock Teardrop Trailer DSC_0058.JPG

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Nice @moosetags, Starved Rock State Park is supposed to be really nice and looks to be ~1hr from Normal. Considering a factory delivery as well -

twieland

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T - Limestone, Ocean Coast, 21's
Occupation
Tech
I'm looking forwards to hearing stories about R1T owners with the Basecamp. Especially when it comes to range.

I'll probably try to rent a Basecamp to try it out.

Right now I have a 2019 Winnebago Revel
We recently traded in an Airstream 23CB for a Basecamp20x. Towing with our current ICE, I am seeing about a 10% increase in MPG so the Basecamp appears to have a slight edge over traditional shaped Airstreams (which already are great aerodynamically). We don't yet have our R1T, but part of the decision to downsize to the Basecamp was to give us better range. We are 'hoping' to be able to get 125-150 mile range (keeping it at 60-65mph) when we get the R1T, but will have to wait until we have several trips to know for sure. We are hoping to have our R1T next spring ...

Mjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
software engineer
The Intech Sol Horizon looks sort of aerodynamic and has a ton features. Interior looks nice too.
https://intech.com/rv/models/sol/horizon/

I built a custom 12ft pop top camper I'm eager to tow... but it's shaped like a literal box so I can't imagine it being efficient.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm looking forwards to hearing stories about R1T owners with the Basecamp. Especially when it comes to range.

I'll probably try to rent a Basecamp to try it out.

Right now I have a 2019 Winnebago Revel
FWIW I'd expect pretty decent range with basecamp - I'm guessing 30-40% hit. I rented a Basecamp 16 last year and towed for a week with my Model Y and consistently saw better than 50% rated range (in a car that rarely gets better than 80% rated range with no trailer...). I'd expect the marginal loss on the R1T to be less impactful since it has a greater frontal area and higher cd compared to the Y.

A Basecamp 20 is my dream trailer but not in the cards for now (nowhere to store it and it's a lot of spend to justify). FWIW skipping the X package is probably a good idea for range (the X has a lift and aggressive tires, and added cladding, all of which will hurt range.)

Rivian R1T R1S Tow Test - Rivian R1T & nuCamp TAB 320 S Boondock Teardrop Trailer 1671037022744

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
We have a 320 S Boondock and very much like the camper. As the video shows, it really does have everthing the larger campers have, but in a very compact package. While it's an easy tow for our Telluride, we do experience a significant drop in mileage, a roughly 1/3 loss. This appears to be roughly similar to the mileage penalty the folks who made the video experienced towing the T@B with their R1T.

They are making a pretty good argument for the Max and I hope that Rivian actually delivers the one we have configured, even if it's not until 2025 or so.

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
We've been thinking of small trailers for our R1T. Most small trailers don't have an inside kitchen or bathroom, which are two things I like to have, since most of the places we go are in mega-mosquito country. This little trailer might be a good option, but there's still that "range hit" issue when towing keeping us from making a decision. WE NEED THE THAT FOREVER-FRUSTRATING INFRA-STRUCTURE before this is a good solution for us.

Rivian Towing Tab 320S Teardrop Trailer

We have a Tab 320S Boondock we've been towing with our Macan. The R1T should be showing up soon, so I can hopefully report back some additional real-world experience!
Sponsored