First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
When we were considering a Rivian this was a major major issue was the time. Also my wife and I watched some Youtube vidoes to see if it was even viable in practice. We watched All Electric Family and noted they were trying to tow a Airstream. Things we had to consider was that not only is the range severely reduced (even more with bad weather), but you'll have to disconnect the trailer for every charge. Then off course half the chargers don't even work. Then you'll need to do this every 100 miles or so. Then you'll have to wait at least an hour at every charge and that is if everything goes smooth and that's not even counting disconnecting and reconnecting. All this and the stress with the real possibility of getting stranded. And of course most of the charges are located in parking lots, making navigating with a trailer difficult at best.

So technically you can tow with an electric truck, but there is no way I would want to go through all of this. I'm not sure how this gets resolved in the future. Even if you double the capacity of the battery, charging times are even more ridiculous.
If you are in range of a campsite with electrical connections (do your research and make your reservations...many state parks, at least here in WA have shore power campsites which can be reserved), you can setup, plug in, and charge or 'top off'. If you're staying overnight or for a day or so, that should get you what you need to get to the next site or home. Did this last summer, sans trailer, but with every nook and cranny crammed with glamping equipment along with a Thule on the cargo bars. Worked for us:
Rivian R1T R1S Tow Test - Rivian R1T & nuCamp TAB 320 S Boondock Teardrop Trailer 1672689985204
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

If you are in range of a campsite with electrical connections (do your research and make your reservations...many state parks, at least here in WA have shore power campsites which can be reserved), you can setup, plug in, and charge or 'top off'. If you're staying overnight or for a day or so, that should get you what you need to get to the next site or home. Did this last summer, sans trailer, but with every nook and cranny crammed with glamping equipment along with a Thule on the cargo bars. Worked for us:
1672689985204.png
Looks good. What model Thule is that?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
As mentioned in a previous posting, we have a 320S BD that we planned to tow with our new R1T Max whenever it is that it finally gets delivered. The info from folks who are already towing T@B's with their Rivian is very helpful and much appreciated. Unfortunately, it is also a bit discouraging, as is also the latest from Rivian on the status of the Max battery pack.

The hope was the impact on range when towing something as light and somewhat aerodynamic as the T@B 320 would be in the 30 - 35% range, roughly similar to what we experienced towing it with our ICE vehicles. Based on the real world experience of those who've posted in this thread, the reality is that the penalty seems to usually be closer to 50%, and sometimes greater. While Rivian has always said that towing would halve your range, that was generally with much larger, heavier and bulkier loads than the T@B.

If the efficiency towing the T@B with an R1T is in the 1.35 mi/kWh, that would mean needing to charge at about 80 miles on average on long trips (assuming 80/20 SOC parameters). Is that truly what folks are experiencing?

While the Max Pack would extend things to about 105 miles, that still means stopping every two hours. That will make for long days to do the kind of camping we planned on (retired this year, so trips to more remote parts of North America were on the cards). It would also make it tough to transit some of the parts of the US & Canada that have poor charging infrastructure.

Adding to the anxiety is the recent Rivian decision communicated to QM R1T Max reservation holders that production of the model has been put off indefinitely. Rivian says that they now plan to make a dual motor R1T Max that may start delivering late next year. To their credit, Rivian has offered long-term Max reservation holders a small discount on this new R1T Max and delivery prioritization. The DM R1T Max will use new in-house motors, perhaps in conjunction with a newly configured battery pack however. That gives me considerable pause: I really don't want to be a beta-tester for a new model. Rivian tells me that must make the decision to opt for the new Max or a refund early in 2023.

There is one other option however, and that is to change to the R1S. That means remaining limited to the Large battery pack, but I'm wondering if the efficiency with the SUV may be slightly better. My thinking is that the airflow over the longer R1S roof will serve to effectively decrease the frontal area of the T@B, leading to slightly better range than is the case with the R1T.

Decision time soon . . .
Our drive was 80mi each way and we used about 60% battery on the way out and 50% battery on the way back, charging "free" at the camp ground. I think that's where I'd want to stay given the current lack of charging stations, but it would be absolutely reasonable (IMO) to plan for legs up to 100mi with the quad motor large pack (say 80% down to 10%). I don't mind planning on 10% or less without a trailer, but with it, I'd start getting nervous.

The Dual Motor is going to be a little more efficient, and with the max pack I think you could plan for 120-150mi legs.

I have the same thought on R1S vs R1T and towing efficiency. I am really curious how much difference there is there. Logically I think it would be noticeable, but in practice it might not be. If there's someone in Indiana w/ an R1S I'd be happy to do a test :)

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Seems like some people are making it viable for them. Just because it isn’t for you doesn’t mean it won’t work for someone else.
People need to get more realistic about what they plan to tow. Bigger isn’t always better. Plus slow down and smell the roses.
With what people are saying they are towing and the speed they say they are driving, I have no doubt I can hit the 200 mile mark between charges especially with the dual/ max and our 13’ fiberglass egg or teardrop.
Sponsored