Sponsored

Tow Hooks without underbody Shield

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I could not find a lot of information about off road package. I like to have the front tow hooks but not interested in weight or additional cost of the underbody Shield (I can’t even find out what it is). Rivian says battery is well protected in it’s standard format and I don’t plan on doing any rock crawling. What are my options? Do you think I can add the hooks later? Or I have to order the off road package and remove the underbody shield?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
What do you plan to use the hooks for?
If I have the hooks, I will find a use for it ;).

Mostly for getting pulled out of snow or mud when my road tires let me down.

Pulling heavy objects while looking at them on occasion would be nice to

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

You better hope something heavier than 8000lbs comes along to pull you out.

if you want tow hooks that badly without whatever else is in the off-road package, buy them as parts along with the different bit of fascia after and add them. I bet it will cost more than the off road package though.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser

you plan to go places where you might go off road in snow or mud but you don’t want skid plates?

whats an example of a heavy object you want to pull from the front of your truck that wouldn’t be better pulled with the trailer hitch? Not trying to drill down on this, just trying to figure out how to answer your question based on what you plan to do with your truck.

I’ve never used the tow hooks on my trucks but I have recovered someone with my winch connected to one of his tow hooks once. (In his case, skid plates were probably a critical component to him being able to drive out after we got him back up on the road)

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
tow charging?

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

if you want tow hooks that badly without whatever else is in the off-road package, buy them as parts along with the different bit of fascia after and add them. I bet it will cost more than the off road package though.
I wouldn’t want the assisting vehicle to air lift me out of trouble. With a motor at each wheel, if I do get stuck, I most likely will need just a helping nudge to get one of those wheels to a few inches away where there is more traction. I doubt other heavy vehicles wait for spring so snow can melt Away ;)

So you think there is a good chance the attachments are Rivian specific and can only take Rivian Hooks? Sorry if the question sounds stupid. I see a lot of aftermarket hooks but never used one.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

I suspect you might be right: adding the hooks/facia later might cost more than the package.

I'd also agree with the OP re: the usefulness of having tow hooks in front (even light off-road, snow, high center, etc.). I don't want a tow truck or other vehicle pulling on anything else on the front of the Rivian. As you say this is an 8000lb vehicle. No other parts are likely to be designed for that lateral force.

I can't imagine that the optional skid adds enough weight to matter in any real way either. Although as the OP says, Rivian isn't exactly forthcoming about what it is exactly or how much it weighs.

I think that gets us down to cost, right? Right back to your point about the likelihood that upgrading the facia and adding the hooks may not be cost effective - if you can get the parts anytime soon.

I can't imagine buying a vehicle targeted for "adventure", paying for that tech (15" suspension, etc.), and not have a way to get recovered from the front or recover something from the front. But the world turns on our unique differences.

Others legitimately feel differently. I just hope that are not overlooking the fact that they may indeed need a little help from the front the vehicle. Even if it's the tow company loading you on the flatbed for overstaying your time.

---------
For later readers inexperienced in off-road/vehicle recovery: Many times a vehicle lighter than the "stuck" one can provide "just enough" to be what you need.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I wouldn’t want the assisting vehicle to air lift me out of trouble. With a motor at each wheel, if I do get stuck, I most likely will need just a helping nudge to get one of those wheels to a few inches away where there is more traction. I doubt other heavy vehicles wait for spring so snow can melt Away ;)

So you think there is a good chance the attachments are Rivian specific and can only take Rivian Hooks? Sorry if the question sounds stupid. I see a lot of aftermarket hooks but never used one.
No idea what the bolt pattern is. Just get the offroad pkg, adding these things will be a massive pain.
I can't imagine buying a vehicle targeted for "adventure", paying for that tech (15" suspension, etc.), and not have a way to get recovered from the front or recover something from the front. But the world turns on our unique differences.
there’s a spot for a towing eye to screw in if there aren’t tow hooks. At least I’m pretty sure I read that someplace here.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
you plan to go places where you might go off road in snow or mud but you don’t want skid plates?
I rarely plan to get into trouble. Every time I did get into a slippery situation, traction was the problem not ground clearance. That would be even less of an issue with R1S ground clearance. I keep hearing R1 needs a diet. I don’t want to add weight if I am not going to use it. Of course if something ends up poking through my battery, I will come back and let you know so you can

whats an example of a heavy object you want to pull from the front of your truck that wouldn’t be better pulled with the trailer hitch? Not trying to drill down on this, just trying to figure out how to answer your question based on what you plan to do with your truck.
This is not for the things I plan to do with the truck, it is for the things I could not think of at the moment like tow charging that @Jabbahop mentioned.

But if you have to have an uncooked thought you could shut down, There was an occasion where I wanted to move a part of a tree and I though having two points of contact would have given me more control with less stress on each rope (what I had available at the time) while I could clearly see if something was going wrong. My point is even if you knock down any application I suggest as stupid, when I finally find one that is not stupid, I can’t do it if I don’t have the hooks. Think of my post like you would of someone asking if you know of anyway to get compass yellow without spending $2,500 for it. They are not really asking you to convince them silver is a better color.

Edit: spelling.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OverlandEvs

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, NVConversion
90% of modern day tow hooks are just cast metal with two holes that go into a threaded spot on the frame. They aren't gonna change frames for accessories so I would guess these can be added on very easily. The problem is good luck ordering these parts anytime this year. getting your hands on extra parts when they are having production lag is going to be very hard.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I really plan to get into trouble. Every time I did get into a slippery situation, traction was the problem not ground clearance. That would be even less of an issue with R1S ground clearance. I keep hearing R1 needs a diet. I don’t want to add weight if I am not going to use it. Of course if something ends up poking through my battery, I will come back and let you know so you can

This is not for the things I plan to do with the truck, it is for the things I could not think of at the moment like tow charging that @Jabbahop mentioned.

But if you have to have an uncooked thought you could shut down, There was an occasion where I wanted to move a part of a tree and I though having two points of contact would have given me more control with less stress on each rope (what I had available at the time) while I could clearly see if something was going wrong. My point is even if you knock down any application I suggest as stupid, when I finally find one that is not stupid, I can’t do it if I don’t have the hooks. Think of my post like you would of someone asking if you know of anyway to get compass yellow without spending $2,500 for it. They are not really asking you to convince them silver is a better color.
Wow. Haha. Ok. Well I never implied anything you would do was stupid. Was just curious what you were going to use the truck for. Comparing two colors isn’t the same as comparing the need for tow hooks and skid plates when you describe your plan with the phrase “I really plan to get in some trouble”.

I’m not by any means an off road expert but I have been driving Land Cruisers and other 4x4s off road for a couple decades and I think The thing I’m most concerned about when I start wheeling an electric truck is puncturing or impacting that battery pack. If Rivian didn’t offer a skid plate from the factory I’d be adding them from the aftermarket anyway.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Wow. Haha. Ok. Well I never implied anything you would do was stupid. Was just curious what you were going to use the truck for. Comparing two colors isn’t the same as comparing the need for tow hooks and skid plates when you describe your plan with the phrase “I really plan to get in some trouble”.
My bad. I do need to read what I post before posting. I meant to say I ”rarely” plan to get into trouble. The combination of my inability to spell and autocorrect is killing me. The short of it is that I have never paid this much for a vehicle and I am too cheap to put my brand new R1S in iffy situations. If I was planning to, I would definitely go for as much protection as I could. Sorry for confusion.

OP
OP
Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
90% of modern day tow hooks are just cast metal with two holes that go into a threaded spot on the frame. They aren't gonna change frames for accessories so I would guess these can be added on very easily. The problem is good luck ordering these parts anytime this year. getting your hands on extra parts when they are having production lag is going to be very hard.
No rush for me. If I know I can add my own hooks later, I can wait. I probably will get my R1S a year after the first non employee so time is not an issue.

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sorry for the silly question, but this is my first truck. Are the tow hooks on the R1T for pulling or getting pulled out? Or can they be used both ways?
Sponsored