RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I've been experiencing what I believe to be more than expected wind noise at the top of my windshield at speeds above 60mph or so. Upon inspecting the truck, it seems like the gapping between the shield and the panel above isn't quite right and that it dips down at the top sides.

If you compare this to your truck, does it look normal? Any feedback here is really helpful as I think I'm going to log it into service.

Rivian R1T R1S Top of Windshield Wind Noise IMG_0800.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Top of Windshield Wind Noise IMG_0799.JPG
Sponsored

kipevans22

First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had my R1T in for service about two weeks ago and brought up this issue. They stated that they couldn't replicate the noise I was hearing. I pressed the issues with my service rep and was told that they couldn't drive over the posted speed limit of 65. The wind noise doesn't get bad until you reach 70 and then continues to get worse as you climb in speed. At 75+ its really loud. I'm thinking about adding some calking, or a plastic trim strip to see if I can knock down the issues. I was told however, they they may address this issue if they get enough complaints.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
The "Applique" (other's terms not mine) - that is the painted piece between the windshield and the roof, has been installed incorrectly (my term) causing wind turbulence that you're hearing.

See this thread: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...anoramic-roof-cracked.7773/page-2#post-196341

My T has the same issue and should be getting serviced imminently. It's been reported here in other threads - most of the time the SCs remove the piece and then just re-bed it in the "glue" in the correct height/position. It's held in place by two fittings and quite literally glue - a bonding compound.

To test this - just use some tape to cover up the gap between the low piece pieces and the high pieces so wind travels more laminar and less turbulent. Then drive 70 and see if the wind noise goes away.

My noise starts at about 55mph on the passenger side and 65mph on the drivers side. Driving with the radio off helps isolate the spots.

You should put in a ticket.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I had my R1T in for service about two weeks ago and brought up this issue. They stated that they couldn't replicate the noise I was hearing. I pressed the issues with my service rep and was told that they couldn't drive over the posted speed limit of 65. The wind noise doesn't get bad until you reach 70 and then continues to get worse as you climb in speed. At 75+ its really loud. I'm thinking about adding some calking, or a plastic trim strip to see if I can knock down the issues. I was told however, they they may address this issue if they get enough complaints.
In your case, if they can't exceed the posted limit, then just take them for a drive so they can hear it and you can point out the particular noise.

Probably a better approach so the tech can freely look around without having to pay attention to driving as well.

Sponsored

r1tshivermetimbers

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Thanks! I've submitted a service request. I'll post here to let everyone know how it turns out.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Rivian R1T R1S Top of Windshield Wind Noise IMG_1247
Rivian R1T R1S Top of Windshield Wind Noise IMG_1248

I think this is what it's supposed to look like, minus all the dead bugs. See how the rubber trim touches the painted body panel, that means it's quiet. My truck is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned, and that's saying something because I have an Audi with the privacy glass package which is also really quiet. To be fair they are pretty much identical with the Rivian having slightly better acoustics inside.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
IMG_1247.jpeg
IMG_1248.jpeg

I think this is what it's supposed to look like, minus all the dead bugs. See how the rubber trim touches the painted body panel, that means it's quiet. My truck is the quietest vehicle I have ever owned, and that's saying something because I have an Audi with the privacy glass package which is also really quiet. To be fair they are pretty much identical with the Rivian having slightly better acoustics inside.
I wish mine looked like that - IMO the wind noise is more from the sides than the front windshield/applique' interface. It's where the windshield meets applique' meets roof panel meets top of door applique' meets load bar applique' and resultant uneven gaps.
But yes your front and back look great and are smooth transitions.
Rivian R1T R1S Top of Windshield Wind Noise Picture2

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Schedule in for service on Monday Oct 17.
Sponsored