Sponsored

Tool mark or damage to steering linkage. Opinions requested

acjetpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, R1T Launch Green (FE Interior)
Good Afternoon all,

1st post after nearly one year of ownership! I'd like to ask the community help in determining whether what I'm looking at is a tool mark which has been addressed (blended?) by Rivian or something that has developed over time. Before the first question even is asked:
1) Wrote Rivian and provided same pictures as what I will be posting here
2) Nearest service center is 4 hours away
3) Mobile tech will not be coming out as they want to put the vehicle on a lift to look for themselves

The images below are from the right front wheel well, horseshoe looking linkage (sorry for the incredibly bad naming of aforementioned part). On the three photos, what I have circled depicts a slight diagonal line with no discernible depth (fingernail method). What might also be noticeable is the blending(scuffing) of the metal encompassing the mark. I'm not noticing ANY difficulties in any handling. It just happened to catch my attention when I was rotating my tires. Thanks to the community, in advance.
Rivian R1T R1S Tool mark or damage to steering linkage.  Opinions requested IMG_2725
Rivian R1T R1S Tool mark or damage to steering linkage.  Opinions requested IMG_2728
Rivian R1T R1S Tool mark or damage to steering linkage.  Opinions requested IMG_2730
Sponsored

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
Can't help you as far as "is that a crack" from just photos, but I can give you the right words:

That's your front suspension's upper control arm, on the front side. That looks to be the passenger side front. My truck doesn't have that line:
Rivian R1T R1S Tool mark or damage to steering linkage.  Opinions requested IMG_4032

I wouldn't spend much time in Rally Mode til that got looked at, personally.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Maybe I am missing something but it looks like a slight indentation. Good to have it checked, not sure how worried (or not) to be.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Get it checked by service. Better to be safe than to risk it. Its possible it could be a fracture but very difficult to be certain from photos. It would be enough for me to schedule service on it.

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
If you really want to know, it's probably a good idea to get your fingers in there and feel around. But, it's hard to tell the difference from a crack or a scratch. But if it's smooth and wipes off, then you can save a trip by the service team.

Sponsored

OP
OP
acjetpilot

acjetpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can't help you as far as "is that a crack" from just photos, but I can give you the right words:

That's your front suspension's upper control arm, on the front side. That looks to be the passenger side front. My truck doesn't have that line:
IMG_4032.png

I wouldn't spend much time in Rally Mode til that got looked at, personally.
Thanks for the correct terminology! Going in circles w/Rivian at the moment. Don’t wish to drive 4 hours to the service center for a potential issue and they are firm about me driving 4 hours to the service center.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for the correct terminology! Going in circles w/Rivian at the moment. Don’t wish to drive 4 hours to the service center for a potential issue and they are firm about me driving 4 hours to the service center.
Tell them then if it is safety concern they should come and get it with a flatbed at their cost per their policy.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Tell them then if it is safety concern they should come and get it with a flatbed at their cost per their policy.
It's only a safety concern if it's actually cracked. If not, and it's a scratch, a flatbed trip isn't required. The most fair would be Rivian eats the tow if it's cracked and OP does if it isn't.

Reactions: Guy

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It's only a safety concern if it's actually cracked. If not, and it's a scratch, a flatbed trip isn't required. The most fair would be Rivian eats the tow if it's cracked and OP does if it isn't.
I would let Rivian make that determination and make it clear to them I voiced my concerns regarding safety on the record. If that arm would separate on my way to the service center it is well documented I was concerned that could happen. Then let them decide if I should drive it in or not. And if they say not...then they pay for tow.

OP
OP
acjetpilot

acjetpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would let Rivian make that determination and make it clear to them I voiced my concerns regarding safety on the record. If that arm would separate on my way to the service center it is well documented I was concerned that could happen. Then let them decide if I should drive it in or not. And if they say not...then they pay for tow.
I’m even going to offer option 3. Just let me replace the darn part myself. Honest question , but it doesn’t look that difficult to replace or am I wrong?

Sponsored

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
I’m even going to offer option 3. Just let me replace the darn part myself. Honest question , but it doesn’t look that difficult to replace or am I wrong?
Just let them handle it: They have insurance and a warranty.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Replacing a UCA yourself while the vehicle is under warranty will certainly void it. If you are concerned, take it to a more local mechanic and have them do a once over. If it's cracked Rivian will likely pay to tow it etc. If it's just a scratch or tooling mark, then you have the peace of mind it's a non issue.

OP
OP
acjetpilot

acjetpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the feedback. That is a sound option that I’m going to follow. I’ll take it to a mechanic I trust and have him give me a non-biased answer (hopefully). If it turns out to be more serious than a scratch, Rivian can come pick it up.
Sponsored