First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
$80k to $100K for a truck, I pony up the extra $10 to $15 for a hand wash. They come to my house. Saves time. Time is money. And don't have to worry about these massive machines screwing something up.
How do you assure they use clean sponges and drying towels?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Every clamshell-style hood I’ve ever owned before the R1T had two latches outboard. I wonder if they tested the single latch in this scenario and decided it was good enough.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Automatic car washes are "horrible" for your paint but, in the grand scheme of things, the risks are negligible compared to the abuses of daily driving - at least with the gravel, sand, roadside debris, etc around my area.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Automatic car washes are "horrible" for your paint but, in the grand scheme of things, the risks are negligible compared to the abuses of daily driving - at least with the gravel, sand, roadside debris, etc around my area.
Even touchless?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Every clamshell-style hood I’ve ever owned before the R1T had two latches outboard. I wonder if they tested this and decided it was good enough.
I've never had a vehicle with 2 hood latches. Interestingly, the early show vehicles had 2 latches but they dropped to one for production.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I've never had a vehicle with 2 hood latches. Interestingly, the early show vehicles had 2 latches but they dropped to one for production.
Just like the magnets in the frunk shelf. Damn cost-cutting…

I’ve only noticed it with clamshell hoods like the Range Rover Velar or the Porsche Macan (and now the Rivian). I suspect it’s because in that design the edge of hood takes the wind directly instead of hitting another body panel first.

Maybe clamshell isn’t the right word for the Rivian since the sides don’t wrap over, just the front. Same potential issue, however.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Just like the magnets in the frunk shelf. Damn cost-cutting…

I’ve only noticed it with clamshell hoods like the Range Rover Velar or the Porsche Macan (and now the Rivian). I suspect it’s because in that design the edge of hood takes the wind directly instead of hitting another body panel first.

Maybe clamshell isn’t the right word for the Rivian since the sides don’t wrap over, just the front. Same potential issue, however.
I'll have to retract my prior statement as my XC60 has dual latches, I was thinking it only had one.

Agree regarding Rivian's apparent cost cutting.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
Pro Tip, learn how to take vehicle out of “Hold” when going thru an automated car wash. Putting the vehicle into neutral doesn’t take the car out of “hold” ….

Sponsored

betasigma98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Volvo XC90 Recharge Polestar
Occupation
Hospital
Pro Tip, learn how to take vehicle out of “Hold” when going thru an automated car wash. Putting the vehicle into neutral doesn’t take the car out of “hold” ….
I am a giant dumbass. Got my R1T. Buddy says "it's awesome, but dirty AF". Went to the local car wash and had no idea how to put it into neutral. 15+ car backup at the wash because of me, they had to shut down the entire car wash. Employees looking on their phones how to put it in neutral. I ended up driving through at 1mph, wasted $13. Parked after and figured it out

OP
OP

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
The brushes aren’t what scares me, the dryers are, they blow too hard, it was shaking the sunroof like crazy.

Crucible

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
And just how do you do that? I had this crop up just today. Guy had to stop the conveyor a couple of times.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
And just how do you do that? I had this crop up just today. Guy had to stop the conveyor a couple of times.
firm press of the break pedal after going into neutral. Same thing happened to me. Was holding up the whole car wash line. And the rollers would jump under the R1S. Wouldn’t budge. Push firmly down on the break and the break hold will come off.

Crucible

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
firm press of the break pedal after going into neutral. Same thing happened to me. Was holding up the whole car wash line. And the rollers would jump under the R1S. Wouldn’t budge. Push firmly down on the break and the break hold will come off.
Thanks SoCalTravels. I appreciate your input.

Like a few others I had also overlooked the "Shift To Neutral" button right above the Car Wash Mode button. If I had put my foot on the brake and pressed this button, all would have been fine. Instead I was trying to go to neutral separate from car wash mode. I thought it should work that way but apparently not. Making the "shift to neutral" button flash or something to draw better attention to it would help to.

On another note, I do wish Rivian would change the color of the buttons so that Green means "activated" instead of using black and grey.
Sponsored