OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I was planning to keep my Tesla after the Rivian arrives for 2 reasons: 1) Tesla’s supercharger network and 2) Native Netflix and Youtube apps. But…. When thise thing both open up to the Rivian, I wont need the Tesla anymore
I'm with you. Netflix and YouTube apps native are a huge bonus of the Tesla for me. Makes it a breeze to charge or wait if I get somewhere early. I love that feature of the Tesla and was very excited to hear Rivian is working on something.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

So two things come to mind. The R1T is obviously fast, but it's also heavy. The Model 3 Dual Motor I have is instant -- you touch the accelerator and the car is already there. The Rivian is much heavier and you feel that weight. I don't get the immediate snap that I do with the Tesla. A good way to describe it is a 0 to 60 comparison. The Tesla launches off the line, where the Rivian feels like its weight causes it to squat initially and then come on strong. It could also be the difference in suspension and the significantly more travel that the Rivian has, but feels slower from 0 to 30 than the Tesla, but then pulls harder and is faster 30 to 60.

The other issue that I think impacts the feel of the R1T is the fact that the throw of the accelerator pedal is so much longer. It's also mapped differently than the Tesla, so it doesn't feel as sensitive to small incremental movements of the pedal. It's hard to describe, but that's about the best I can do to explain the difference.
"Snappiness" is a perception, not a technical trait. On paper, the R1T is faster to accelerate 0-60 than the Model Y and 3 but it is pushing much more mass, you are sitting much higher, and the pedal mapping, as others have pointed out, is different.

My BMW i3s, which on paper accelerates 0-60 in 6.3s (but ~<2 seconds 0-30) feels much snappier than the R1T because the thing is made out of carbon fiber and weighs less than half of the R1T all in. Unlike the Tesla, and much like the R1T, you have to mash the pedal to get to that addictive torque.

The R1T, like the i3 feels more refined to me somehow. Tapping the accelerator and getting jolted seems really harsh to me but too each his own.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It’s crazy that anyone is even benchmarking the R1T against the Model 3P which is 3000lbs lighter with a .23 Cd.

When I test drove the R1T I was absolutely shocked when it accelerated like my non-performance Model S. That’s flat out insane for a pick up truck.

If you are going to benchmark it, compare it to the Raptor and the TRex. And the R1T leaves both in the dust.
People are comparing with what they have owned and are familiar with. The M3P is pretty common for an EV so that makes it the chicken of taste test comparisons, everything gets compared to it.

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
It’s crazy that anyone is even benchmarking the R1T against the Model 3P which is 3000lbs lighter with a .23 Cd.

When I test drove the R1T I was absolutely shocked when it accelerated like my non-performance Model S. That’s flat out insane for a pick up truck.

If you are going to benchmark it, compare it to the Raptor and the TRex. And the R1T leaves both in the dust.
Can you share the last 4 of your VIN? 1st 2 digits, I'm keeping a log on what's being delivered.

RealBillNye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
This snappiness difference that you are referring to is called "jerk" or the derivative of acceleration. Since the power more than offsets the weight difference between the M3P and the Rivian, the difference in jerk is most likely due to suspension, center of mass, and tire differences. The Rivian just has more suspension travel and sidewall to absorb that initial jerk off the line.

Programming of the ESCs would also affect it, but I am betting it is mostly due to suspension and tires. At least for hard launches.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
People are comparing with what they have owned and are familiar with. The M3P is pretty common for an EV so that makes it the chicken of taste test comparisons, everything gets compared to it.
yeah its just kind of funny because I can't imagine cross shopping a Rivian and a Model 3. I don't think that many people cross shop a BMW 3 series and a Ford Ranger, but maybe they do.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I think a "nice" addition would be a launch mode where you could substitute one of the steering wheel buttons for the brake pedal - the "throw" on that button would almost negligible, and the software could recognize that as an all-out launch.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
yeah its just kind of funny because I can't imagine cross shopping a Rivian and a Model 3. I don't think that many people cross shop a BMW 3 series and a Ford Ranger, but maybe they do.
I would bet you exponentially more people are coming to Rivian from Tesla than any other single auto manufacturer, so naturally the comparisons are going to be made. They are arguably the two biggest brands (certainly from a mindshare standpoint) in EVs currently.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I would bet you exponentially more people are coming to Rivian from Tesla than any other single auto manufacturer, so naturally the comparisons are going to be made. They are arguably the two biggest brands (certainly from a mindshare standpoint) in EVs currently.
I think that seems to be true - at least on this forum for sure.

We need a truck in our life (horses, cabin in the woods, etc) so I’ve been waiting for an EV option to try. If I wasn’t going to use it for truck stuff, I probably wouldn’t buy a Rivian right now. It’s big, heavy and inefficient as EVs go. Id rather replace my Tesla with a Lucid, Taycan or one of the other new EV options that are pretty exciting.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think a "nice" addition would be a launch mode where you could substitute one of the steering wheel buttons for the brake pedal - the "throw" on that button would almost negligible, and the software could recognize that as an all-out launch.
Awaiting delivery of R1S shortly. I drive a Tesla 2020 XP that weighs 5600 lbs, goes 0 — 60 in 2.7 sec compared to R1T weighing 6950 lbs with a 0-60 in 3.0. The X is about 1400 lbs heavier than a Tesla 3P and 1350 lighter than the Rivian. The XP acceleration is smooth and quick yet slower than the latest S or X Plaid. For me the performance Tesla’s rule the highways, while Rivian based on reviews and family reports, for the moment truly own the off-road Pickup and SUV world — and do great on the highway. Eager for my first hand R1S comparison with the XP. Clearly the X is only a highway car though it handles gravel and dirt well with no ruts or potholes, and I have ruts and potholes aplenty where I live. 😀

Last edited:

Sponsored

RegReader

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3
I was planning to keep my Tesla after the Rivian arrives for 2 reasons: 1) Tesla’s supercharger network and 2) Native Netflix and Youtube apps. But…. When thise thing both open up to the Rivian, I wont need the Tesla anymore
I'm keeping my Model 3 for both of these reasons but even more because I know I'm effectively a beta tester for Rivian and am expecting some issues and need a backup car. That said, as long as both vehicles are in the stable, the R1T has become the daily driver!

RegReader

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3
The other issue that I think impacts the feel of the R1T is the fact that the throw of the accelerator pedal is so much longer. It's also mapped differently than the Tesla, so it doesn't feel as sensitive to small incremental movements of the pedal. It's hard to describe, but that's about the best I can do to explain the difference.
The accelerator pedal mapping is probably the one thing I definitively prefer in the Model 3 over the R1T. The go pedal in my truck doesn't do anything for the first 3/4 of an inch or so, where the Model 3 starts moving pretty much as soon as you touch the pedal. I'm not sure what the benefit (if any) of Rivian's implementation is, but I'm hoping it'll get smoothed out with some SW update down the line.

The only thing I can guess is that, by waiting to provide any forward torque until you are already an inch into the pedal travel, it gives you a little more control over how much regen to apply if you want to stop, i.e. you could let off to 1/2" press for moderate regen or let off all the way for full regen. But when I'm going 1 mph, I don't think there's any situation where the difference in stopping distance is worth the day to day jerkiness. Just give me a moderate regen that doesn't leave the truck rocking back and forth. If I need to stop faster, I still have the brake pedal I can jump on.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The accelerator pedal mapping is probably the one thing I definitively prefer in the Model 3 over the R1T. The go pedal in my truck doesn't do anything for the first 3/4 of an inch or so, where the Model 3 starts moving pretty much as soon as you touch the pedal. I'm not sure what the benefit (if any) of Rivian's implementation is, but I'm hoping it'll get smoothed out with some SW update down the line.

The only thing I can guess is that, by waiting to provide any forward torque until you are already an inch into the pedal travel, it gives you a little more control over how much regen to apply if you want to stop, i.e. you could let off to 1/2" press for moderate regen or let off all the way for full regen. But when I'm going 1 mph, I don't think there's any situation where the difference in stopping distance is worth the day to day jerkiness. Just give me a moderate regen that doesn't leave the truck rocking back and forth. If I need to stop faster, I still have the brake pedal I can jump on.
Is this still the case in "Sport" mode as well? I thought I had read that Sport mode gives it more of the snappiness you are referring to from the TM3 or does it still lag relatively?

Mike Hunt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I have a Tesla Model S and a Rivian. They are both great to have for our family needs.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Handling and range are so much more important to me than raw sprint speed and 0-60 parlor trick times. The sooner everyone stops obsessing about these 0-60 times the better imo. It's a waste of energy (literally) and engineering efforts.
Current acceleration fine. Range optimum for EV? My choice, 500 miles and a bit, asap. Lots more chargers too. For my taste Tesla has perfected regenerative braking.
Sponsored