Sponsored

Tonneau cover repair scheduled–redesign ready?

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
And as a matter of fact, just got my truck back from service. The just lubed it and ran the calibration said it worked fine.

First test of the tonneau cover, doesn’t open completely and still closes then bounces back leaving a gap… sigh
Mine does the same thing, unless I hold the button until it's completely closed. Or maybe it was just pushing and releasing. I don't recall exactly, but one way bounces back and the other way it closes completely.
Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Mine does the same thing, unless I hold the button until it's completely closed. Or maybe it was just pushing and releasing. I don't recall exactly, but one way bounces back and the other way it closes completely.
I was having this same problem and finally got it to close and decided to leave it closed unless absolutely necessary to open it. I happened to be talking to an engineer from Normal while charging at an EA and mentioned this issue. He showed me how he fixed his:

1. Open the cover fully
2. Press and hold the button - keep it depressed for 5 seconds after the cover completely closes.

Apparently this calibrates the cover stop point, even though this process is somewhat different from another calibration process Rivian has published.

Since doing that my cover has worked correctly. Won't hurt to try it - it might work for you too.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
My cover jammed after a week or 2 also. Submitted a service ticket. The following weekend I saw Annie's DIY fix thread and it gave me enough confidence to put a little muscle/soft rubber mallet into it and got got everything back on track with very little effort. It's closed now and I don't have much need for it to open/close at the moment, so not a huge deal.

Rivian reached out a couple times but I was in meetings and couldn't take the calls. I finally remembered to call them back today and they said they were going to leave the ticket open because (don't remember exact phrasing, but this is pretty close) "there is a redesign solution in the works and when it's ready to be rolled out and your service center has the parts they'll either reach out to schedule the replacement or you might see a general announcement about it." I didn't press on timing as I didn't need to hear it would be s00n.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
@dotlinetriangle

Has everyone been doing the 2-3 month white lithium grease toneau track spray down?

I do it every other month. Toneau has been solid.

Auto down on the tailgate has been about 25% however (even after Rivian fix) 😑

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
@dotlinetriangle

Has everyone been doing the 2-3 month white lithium grease toneau track spray down?

I do. I was using bicycle dry lube, but that gets expensive. So I picked up some RV slide dry lube spray instead. Also I did have some closing/opening issues even after recalibrating, but that seemed to clear up after a software update.

Auto down I don't have a problem with since it depends on the slope.

kirkSD

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, R1T (FG/FE) 21"
Occupation
Engineer
@dotlinetriangle

What is the lubrication procedure are you performing? I just got some CRC Dry Graphite Lube for this, and was wondering if there is any benefit to lubing the slat joints like I see on YouTube. For now I have just done the side rails with the cover open.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
What is the lubrication procedure are you performing? I just got some CRC Dry Graphite Lube for this, and was wondering if there is any benefit to lubing the slat joints like I see on YouTube. For now I have just done the side rails with the cover open.
I simply bend my spray straw into the lower track, and also spray the side track. A little goes a long way, but it can get a little messy.

Sounds like we're doing the same thing.

There's almost like a upside down L shaped track that has a two areas that I spray.

I'll post pictures later, but my cover has worked without fail... wish I could say the same for my tailgate that's still about 50/50.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

I've used my cover sparingly in the 3 months I've had the vehicle. Every time it was open I treated the tracks with dry graphite lube. The cover has worked without issue every time I've used it. Think I will switch over to the PTFE lube spray, that looks like the better solution for this application.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
I just dropped my truck off for service for various cosmetic items and the front driveshaft clicking thing. They also told me they're replacing the tonneau (which was broken on delivery) with an updated version and they were very affirmative that it's a new design and they're replacing mine with it. Here's to hoping.

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Well, got my truck back. The tonneau was open when I picked it up, because it had all my old wheels and tires in the bed, so I didn't get to test it. When I got home though...

First attempt to open it, only one slat came out. The rest just stayed in there. So I pushed that slat back towards the cabin, hit the button again, and it retracted back in as expected. Then I tried to close the cover again, it made two slats out, but the leading one caught on something in the track which caused the whole thing to go rather cockeyed. So now that's all stuck. I tried to retract the cover to the open position and everything's back in, except the leading edge slat, which is still crooked.

This is pretty frustrating, of course. I'm going to try and open this up and see if I can straighten out this stupid slat. Then perhaps I have to clean and lube the tracks before I try closing the cover

edit: I managed to open it all up, which was a bit of a pain. After a bunch of attempts, I actually got the leading slat properly connected to the other ones, and the entire cover closed fully, and then opened fully. The hardest part may have been putting everything back together again. Now I'm terrified to use it, but I'll go get some of that dry lube and really clean/lube the channels. It looks like the biggest issue was a slat just getting a little crooked and hanging up along the track

Last edited:

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Well I have a service appointment next week and they threw tonneau repair/replace on the work order… maybe I’ll get be surprised with a new tonneau? Would be cool but hopefully work better than the one @JGard18 received.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Well I have a service appointment next week and they threw tonneau repair/replace on the work order… maybe I’ll get be surprised with a new tonneau? Would be cool but hopefully work better than the one @JGard18 received.
I had to take it all apart and I’m not convinced it’s any different.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I had to take it all apart and I’m not convinced it’s any different.
Did you see the motors? The one change that has been repeated was that they were adding a second motor to the opposite end of the track.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I didn't see the motors, but I feel like two motors won't change anything. The problem is with the tracks. And that all I said, I just got some dry lube and cleaned out my tracks to lube them up and noticed a problem. the outside wall of these tracks has a kind of slippery plastic in there. I can tell the goal here is to prevent binding of the slats if they get a little bit crooked, as they are wont to do.

Well, in mine, there's a tear in this plastic, not far from the cabin of the truck, and it's exactly where I saw it bind up when first trying to close the new cover they installed. It seems they replaced the cover and whatever parts of the mechanicals, but they left the tracks, and one is flawed. I've submitted a follow up service request and I am sure hoping they can send a mobile tech out here to address it, because that drive to/from my SC sucks something awful.

May be hard to tell where the torn plastic is in these pics, but note that my finger isn't really pressing on this plastic, it's just sticking out that much on its own.
Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover repair scheduled–redesign ready? IMG_0518

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover repair scheduled–redesign ready? IMG_0517
Sponsored

Last edited: