Sponsored

Tom Moloughney: F-150 Lightning Backup Power...(no more 320A req)

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer

So it looks like the 320A service requirement was a mistake and Tom Moloughney contacted Ford about it and they have updated their website. Now it mentions 100A dedicated circuit but that is only if you want to deliver the max 80A to the truck (and back to the house as well).

Really hope we hear more about this from Rivian this year too as they said in the past the hardware is capable of it.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Really tempted to use my f150 preorder to get the Pro and get an R1S instead of the R1T as our primary vehicle. That 40k price is so tempting.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Really tempted to use my f150 preorder to get the Pro and get an R1S instead of the R1T as our primary vehicle. That 40k price is so tempting.
You can't get the extended range battery for the pro, and you need that to use the home backup.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You can't get the extended range battery for the pro, and you need that to use the home backup.
You can do home backup w the base battery.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
Yep the F-150 lightning is an excellent truck and IS going to be produced at scale , at a price point working people can afford - with huge dealer/service network behind it. It will all play out soon enough and the dreamers and schemers will be left behind.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So it looks like the 320A service requirement was a mistake and Tom Moloughney contacted Ford about it and they have updated their website. Now it mentions 100A dedicated circuit but that is only if you want to deliver the max 80A to the truck (and back to the house as well).

Really hope we hear more about this from Rivian this year too as they said in the past the hardware is capable of it.
Well fuckin obviously. Why would you need 320A service if you can only backfeed 40A?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Well fuckin obviously. Why would you need 320A service if you can only backfeed 40A?
That's why people asked the question. It didn't make any sense.

OP
OP
lostpacket

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah it didn't make any sense to me either but it is what Ford had on their website.

I guess some engineer or product manager at Ford forgot to grab their morning coffee and calculated something completely unrelated.

Either way I am glad to hear it's just a mistake. Now I just want Rivian to get in the game.

Last edited:

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
You can do home backup w the base battery.
Just found that out watching the video. Sounds like it might be expensive though.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just found that out watching the video. Sounds like it might be expensive though.
You have time buy the EVSE, and potentially pay to activate it with Ford, but otherwise it's the same cost as the ER version. At which point it basically only makes sense to buy the Lariat at like 76k. They did their research on pricing people up. Lol.
Sponsored