Sponsored

To Shield or Not to Shield? Option the Reinforced Underbody Shield?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

As an aside, the RUS also reduces intrusive road noise - such as that I5 / I405 rumble in the Seattle / Bellevue area.
!!!
I wondered why the loaner I got was noisier. This makes sense!
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Welp, just found these in the garage so I had to poke around the RUS.

Rivian R1T R1S To Shield or Not to Shield? Option the Reinforced Underbody Shield? PXL_20221204_211930286.MP

I found their homes on the front passenger side. To me, it looks like overtightened screws broken by temp changes.

Rivian R1T R1S To Shield or Not to Shield? Option the Reinforced Underbody Shield? PXL_20221204_212148926

Rivian R1T R1S To Shield or Not to Shield? Option the Reinforced Underbody Shield? PXL_20221204_212213068

I recently had service completed, so I assume they had to remove the RUS to access stuff and things up there.

YMMV

OP
OP

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
It won’t be long before the aftermarket has an underbody shield option.
What makes you so confident? If I were sure an aftermarket solution would exist, I would drop that requirement pretty much immediately.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
What makes you so confident? If I were sure an aftermarket solution would exist, I would drop that requirement pretty much immediately.
Probably just speculation. Just like speculation that you’ll be able to replace the battery pack with new battery chemistry. Not going to happen.

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
If you are not going off road, there are costs aside from the initial $. It does weight something and that has an impact on your load capacity and, to some extent, on your range. I have the full size spare (22") and the underbody shield. The theoretical load is, as I recall, 1760lbs. My sticker:
1670136646827.png

Between the shield and the spare, I lost almost 400 lbs off the load capacity.

I got the shield because some boondock camping is in order...and better safe than sorry. Worth asking the question. Before I got mine (April 4, 2022), there weren't a lot of people with the experience to have an informed opinion.
not to derail the thread too much, but how is max pack going to impact load? I don’t really see the GVWR going up unless they really change the supporting structures in the truck pretty fundamentally. I don’t think the truck has too many problem with the amount of power. I would imagine it has more to do with the structures.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
not to derail the thread too much, but how is max pack going to impact load? I don’t really see the GVWR going up unless they really change the supporting structures in the truck pretty fundamentally. I don’t think the truck has too many problem with the amount of power. I would imagine it has more to do with the structures.
No telling, but the additional batteries have to weigh something. The load limit doesn't really bother me...not planning to load up with rocks. If you have too much for the load limit, you can get a little trailer and pull...not much limit there.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
No telling, but the additional batteries have to weigh something. The load limit doesn't really bother me...not planning to load up with rocks. If you have too much for the load limit, you can get a little trailer and pull...not much limit there.
I think that's the point though, does anyone know the GCVWR? I didn't find it online yet.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I’ve asked Rivian this question for years and is finally a concern to let go of my original Max Pack order. If your say are already down to a 1,340 lbs payload, take off another 391 lbs for 2 additional battery modules your left with a payload of 948 lbs.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m getting access to the shop this Monday or Tuesday and although I’m pretty happy with my config, the one thing I may compromise on is the reinforced underbody shield. I haven’t done much off-roading beyond what’s been required to get to some Washington hiking trails, but it’s always something I’ve been wanting to pick up. I recall the sentiment was that it was unnecessary beyond “extreme” off-roading, but I’m not sure where to draw the line. I also recall someone treading water (something we do a lot up here in WA) with the regular shield and getting their underbody ripped, so I’m going back and forth.

Does anyone here who off-roads regret or are happy they did or didn’t get the shield?

I know this question has been asked a few times, but I’m hoping with thousands more R1Ts in the wild, there may be some new, valuable insight.
To me, this is a simple decision. You only ‘need’ the extra shielding if you believe your truck is going to drag on the ground/rocks at some point. If not, then you don’t need it. The battery is already shielded against debris that may hit it. Save your money.

Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Probably just speculation. Just like speculation that you’ll be able to replace the battery pack with new battery chemistry. Not going to happen.
Well one is a simple bolt on made of steel. The other is a replacement of the single most expensive component in the truck. These things are not remotely comparable.

Sliders and steps are already in the works by 2 different companies. I would think custom underbody protection isn't too far behind.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I predict an aftermarket aluminum underbody shield will be available by the end of 2023.

jclicky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What the hell. I think that's three or four people I've heard who ripped off their standard underbody protection by going through a puddle. @branden ripped his off recently as well.
yeah that seals it for me, even though it might heighten temps during hot periods, I think I’m going to select the underbody armor when it comes time for me to use the configurator, I’m not impressed with the non-armored underbody screws, they seem to be slipping out; quite surprised that they aren’t more securely locked down.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
If you are not going off road, there are costs aside from the initial $. It does weight something and that has an impact on your load capacity and, to some extent, on your range. I have the full size spare (22") and the underbody shield. The theoretical load is, as I recall, 1760lbs. My sticker:
1670136646827.png

Between the shield and the spare, I lost almost 400 lbs off the load capacity.

I got the shield because some boondock camping is in order...and better safe than sorry. Worth asking the question. Before I got mine (April 4, 2022), there weren't a lot of people with the experience to have an informed opinion.
Do you also have the powered tonneau cover?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I can attest to the benefit of less NVH from the underbody shield. I also think the alleged impacts on range are overblown and may even be non-existent. The only downsides are added cost and reduced payload capacity.

Also, as others have reported it cannot be added after the fact as it is integrated into the battery pack.
Sponsored