Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It both makes me happy and a bit frustrated when I hear if people with what seems like almost perfect cars. I have Vin 15xxx and my truck is currently in service for multiple issues including noisy suspension, alignment, and wind noise. I’ve already gotten the “within spec” line for wind noise. We’ll see about the other issues. The loaner I have is even worse. And it’s a launch edition. Seems very hit or miss but seems like they can get it right at times.
Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
As the OP is pointing out, it's perspective. Customers are MUCH more likely to give a 0 star review when they have a bad experience than a 4 or 5 star review when they didn't have any negative issues. If you look at any review system, you'll see a percent of good and bad reviews on anything, but the people with a negative experience are a VERY loud voice.

If reviews were MANDATORY, we'd probably see something more like this - a few people would be having issues or hate it, but most would be giving good reviews (again silent). And since we have only a limited number of owners (less than 25k total), we don't have the ability to see the rating like Teslas (with 2 million vehicles).

And I would dare say, those with super positive reviews aren't coming to the forums in the same numbers as those with issues, again skewed data.
Rivian R1T R1S To New Owners - Don't be scared. Problems are not Rivian, they happen to all manufacturers..... 1674147302194

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
Wait - this company is actually making vehicles?!?! I just thought I gave $1,000 for the privilege of having an online account with cool pictures and a sweet 'Processing Estimate' header.

Sorry. In all seriousness I love the points made by the OP. I have yet to own a vehicle with zero issues and I don't expect that to change. My only concern is being 3 hours away from service instead of minutes with most other manufacturers. I am hoping for minimal issues, but I am mentally prepared to deal with whatever comes.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
This is good to know. Many of us have alignment issues with trucks pulling to right and passenger front sagging issues. As well as noisy suspensions. So if yours is good on those fronts, then hopefully the factory has figured out root causes and can implement service fixes for those of us with those issues. The perfect trucks prove it can be done, so very good to know! Thanks!
Trust me, I was excited but nervous to pick the truck up and drive it almost 200 miles home. I brought extra clothes and things I thought I might need if something happened with the truck and I got stranded somewhere. Thankfully, because of this forum, I knew some of the more serious issues to inspect when I picked it up.

Like others have said, an Internet forum is where people mostly go to vent or report their unsavory experiences which leads to an unrealistic view of the average experience. But I’m also thankful to the forum because learning from someone else’s unfortunate experience can help make you a smarter consumer. Hats off to beta testers!

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Some service centers are booked up five months in advance. That’s worse than any other auto manufacturer. So it’s not even close to one in ten thousand people having an issue, it’s more like one out of three. And if you do have an issue, fixing it will take longer than any other manufacturer.

I personally have about a dozen service requests outstanding and I’ve only posted about a few of them here. I only have so much time.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I judge Rivian the same way I do any other company: how they handle problems and conflicts when they arise. Are they hard to deal with, willing to be reasonable, or do they go above and beyond to make sure the experience is amazing. Do they treat all customers equally and fairly? Do they provide a level of flexibility that matches or exceeds the flexibility they demand out of their customers?

Unfortunately as an R1T owner for over six months, the experience has overwhelmingly trended towards the negative. I understand that's not universal, which is a huge part of the issue. Some customers are being treated with great deference while others are treated with disregard.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Some service centers are booked up five months in advance. That’s worse than any other auto manufacturer. So it’s not even close to one in ten thousand people having an issue, it’s more like one out of three. And if you do have an issue, fixing it will take longer than any other manufacturer.

I personally have about a dozen service requests outstanding and I’ve only posted about a few of them here. I only have so much time.
They are absolutely limited on Service Centers. Tesla was too when they first started. This one of the reasons why many first day order holders are still waiting for their trucks. They don't want to sell vehicles to areas they can't service.

Tesla scheduled me over 3 months out for service as well, and that was within the past 6 months, so they're no better, despite having a 10 year head start.

But, as I stated, they do give you a loaner or rental, so it's not like you'll be without a vehicle.

Also, non-critical issues are scheduled further out. Critical issues are given priority. I ordered something as simple as key fobs and it was over two months to get an appointment. However, when my truck bricked, they were here the next day with a tow truck to pick it up and I had my truck back in less than a week. During that week, I had another Rivian to drive.

Wind noise.....it's still a big brick travelling down the road. Aero was not tops on their priority list. Same with a Ford truck. They're not going to be as quiet as a Tesla which was designed specifically to be very aerodynamic. Body panel gap issues, not a priority. Etc, etc. I was impressed with how quickly they responded when I had a critical issue and how quick I got it back.

For some, you have to choose if you want the truck and accept that they are still building up service centers so it might be a bit of a drive IF something does go wrong. That is a bit of a sacrifice. But again, you'll still have a vehicle to drive.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Wind noise.....it's still a big brick travelling down the road. Aero was not tops on their priority list. Same with a Ford truck. They're not going to be as quiet as a Tesla which was designed specifically to be very aerodynamic.
This is not true. I own the Lightning and it is even quieter (wind noise, tire noise and ride) than my Tesla. I don't have my Rivian yet and it could be years out because there are no service centers in my area. But from everything I understand they all have significant issues with wind noise.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

This is not true. I own the Lightning and it is even quieter (wind noise, tire noise and ride) than my Tesla. I don't have my Rivian yet and it could be years out because there are no service centers in my area. But from everything I understand they all have significant issues with wind noise.
Just the design of the truck. Up to 70 MPH, it's not too bad. Over 70 MPH and yes, wind noise picks up, especially if you crack open a window. As noted, its a brick going down the road. I've had Tesla. As expected, the Rivian is louder, that doesn't mean its bad. I can still have NORMAL conversations with passengers in any scenario

Sponsored

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Model 3, ‘22 Model Y, R1S reservation holder
Occupation
Physician

Does the CA Lemon Law apply here?

California's Lemon Law Q and A

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales

This is one of the mysteries. Why won't they build up that service capability faster? It's not hard to find people if you are willing to pay just a little more than everyone else. Offer a few more perks. A little more time off. Rent spaces....these don't have to be full architectural design projects. Rented space and some lifts. Hire some quality techs and bam...you can increase service and get rid of the ridiculous wait times.
Sponsored