Title, license plate (transfer or new) and registration

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
I signed documents at delivery and even had 2 online notary sessions (one for me, one for wife) for title power of attorney.
45 days after delivery, no clue on status of getting tag, etc. Of course all Rivian will tell me is that it’s in the hands of my state DMV and should be fine.

I know state agencies in general are struggling to keep up now more than pre-pandemic. As of a couple of weeks ago, VIN doesn’t show as even pending in DMV systems. Is anyone else getting anxious about docs? Has Rivian been any assistance in expediting or getting status?
Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
I got a delivery notice from FedEx on Friday that I should be receiving a shipment from “General Systems Solutions”.
I did a Google search for what this company could possibly be sending me. I found a Reddit post showing that they process registration and plates for Carvana.
I took delivery on 3/26. So just a little over 45 days.

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got a delivery notice from FedEx on Friday that I should be receiving a shipment from “General Systems Solutions”.
I did a Google search for what this company could possibly be sending me. I found a Reddit post showing that they process registration and plates for Carvana.
I took delivery on 3/26. So just a little over 45 days.
That’s good info. I’ll look for that. Thank you.

I opted to transfer my old tag just b/c it’s sequential with other 2 cars. I hope that isn’t going to cause me issues. I’ve already gotten a nastygram from the state saying they haven’t seen that tag surrendered and don’t show it insured either. They said if that’s all sorted before 5/28, no harm, no foul.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just got my plate on Friday, delivery happened on 3/28. I suspect they are doing them in large batches because they filed paperwork, stated 5/10, for the title with a lien on it that was already paid off.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I signed documents at delivery and even had 2 online notary sessions (one for me, one for wife) for title power of attorney.
45 days after delivery, no clue on status of getting tag, etc. Of course all Rivian will tell me is that it’s in the hands of my state DMV and should be fine.

I know state agencies in general are struggling to keep up now more than pre-pandemic. As of a couple of weeks ago, VIN doesn’t show as even pending in DMV systems. Is anyone else getting anxious about docs? Has Rivian been any assistance in expediting or getting status?
It's coming.

Sponsored

whereismyr1t

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer

Yep they used “General Systems Solutions” to process mine also. Got the title directly from the state and the registration from GSS. Took delivery 3/19 and got the registration 2 days ago.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I signed documents at delivery and even had 2 online notary sessions (one for me, one for wife) for title power of attorney. 45 days after delivery, no clue on status of getting tag, etc. Of course all Rivian will tell me is that it’s in the hands of my state DMV and should be fine.

Some states are indeed struggling. I sold my Z4 to my daughter nearly a year ago right as the sticker was about to expire. The DMV here has lost the title twice, and had to create news ones admitting their own fault in the process. Finally they got the title and lost the sticker in the mail (she never got it as her mail comes here). They would not issue her any documentation to show it was in the works. She's been pulled over twice for the expired tag and talked her way out of a ticket (or an impound). Ridiculous.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Just got my plate on Friday, delivery happened on 3/28. I suspect they are doing them in large batches because they filed paperwork, stated 5/10, for the title with a lien on it that was already paid off.
In the traditional automotive world, most licensed dealers are allowed 30 days to submit paperwork. It is not unusual for them to wait until day 29 if there's a trade in with a lien (to make sure it clears per your contract before issuing your title), and many times because they have "floor plan" or a lien on the truck you bought from a lender and do not yet have the title themselves.

Granted the last one doesn't apply to Rivian. In most cases, if time runs out the DMV will just give you a temp.

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT

Thanks Nermal. I'm also in NC, transferring my old plates, and did the online notary session to give Rivian power of attorney to transfer plates. I took delivery of my Rivian May 10th. Have you made another steps? any contact with the DMV on your end? I'm assuming I'm to wait on the DMV to send me a new registration. Just making sure I'm not dropping the ball to complete the process on my end.

Thank you for posting!

OP
OP
Nermal

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks Nermal. I'm also in NC, transferring my old plates, and did the online notary session to give Rivian power of attorney to transfer plates. I took delivery of my Rivian May 10th. Have you made another steps? any contact with the DMV on your end? I'm assuming I'm to wait on the DMV to send me a new registration. Just making sure I'm not dropping the ball to complete the process on my end.

Thank you for posting!
The only communications from DMV have been the aforementioned nastygram and, yesterday, I received a registration renewal for the tag being transferred to the Rivian... with the previous vehicle still on it😥

I'm not sure what an owner can do here but wait and claim innocence if dinged. We have no visibility into how and when documentation was submitted or to whom i.e. is GSS universal or only for some places/occasions? I'd go to the license plate office to cover my arse but I doubt they'll do anything without title.

Sponsored

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

Still waiting for plates, been nearly 60 days.....

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
It took about 60 days for us to receive our plates and registration. Title took even longer (but that's typical here).

HokieR1T

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T LG/BM/20 AT
The only communications from DMV have been the aforementioned nastygram and, yesterday, I received a registration renewal for the tag being transferred to the Rivian... with the previous vehicle still on it😥

I'm not sure what an owner can do here but wait and claim innocence if dinged. We have no visibility into how and when documentation was submitted or to whom i.e. is GSS universal or only for some places/occasions? I'd go to the license plate office to cover my arse but I doubt they'll do anything without title.
Thank you for posting. Hopefully the FedEx notice is your registration. I did visit the DMV site and removed my old car (the one I'm transferring plates from). I hope that doesn't cause a hitch.

Please keep me updated!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Wowzers this is all so complicated. Here you just take the NVIS/MSO and bill of sale to an insurance broker, pay sales tax if you didn’t at purchase, tell them what amount of coverage you want, pay for insurance & registration, pick a plate from their stack of available ones…and off you go.

the only tricky part is if it’s the first vehicle of its kind to be registered here.

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Still waiting for plates, been nearly 60 days.....
I'm in the same boat. Still waiting since March. I purchased a new Volvo from a local dealer April 30th and plates just showed up this morning.

Rivian never let me know that I needed to pay the Oregon use tax, which is required before registration can happen. I paid it a few weeks after purchase and forwarded the certificate to my guide. They totally missed this so I know they didn't submit my registration within the first two weeks.
Sponsored