First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The problem is you have to use the credit towards a new set of pirelli's right?
No I replaced them with Good Year. This was at America’s Tire but pretty sure no one would have that as a stipulation. Basically they just refunded 45% of the original tire price and applied it to the new purchase.
Sponsored

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Every high performance car eats tires like there’s no tomorrow. Try one of the European brands like a BMW X5 or a Porsche Cayenne GTS or Porsche 911 GTS. They all have soft compound performance tires and you are lucky if you make it 15,000 miles on those. They stick like glue to the road in the summer and launch you around every corner like you are on rails, but you pay the price.
putting 835hp and the high torque onto the 20s or any other tires on the Rivian takes its toll, but you get paid back in smiles and screams from your passengers 😂😎.
Drive the Rivian like you are 85 and you might make it to 35k miles 🙄🤣🤪

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
rotate tires often. If there’s a full size spare do a 5 tire rotation. Should extend the life of the set.

25k miles is pretty good for something so heavy and fast.
Exactly. I have the full spare and rotate it in about every 6k. I also drive around in off road/rally/high for fun about 20% of the time, which I suspect is contributing to the impossibly even wear I'm getting inside and out. So far, I'm impressed with the tires and will probably replace them with the same when the time comes. I would be satisfied with 25-30k miles given how heavy the truck is and how I drive it. 🏎

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
The disaster continues… first two scorpions at 13k, second two at 16k, now at 25k all need to be replaced again. I stopped using conserve a long time ago as that is considered one of the culprits, but the wear on tires and associated expense is crazy and one of the very few negatives I have on the R1T. I’m going to switch to BFGs and hope for some thing better than 10k of life 😳

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Just replaced my 20's yesterday with a fresh set of OEM Pirellis, got about 28,000 miles out of the first set. Wasn't too surprised, I had to replace the tires on my 2018 Model 3 at 30,000 miles.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I think I'm on pace to get 30k out of my stock ATs before replacing, but I think 25 is not a bad average for a 7000lb truck that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds. I can't imagine anyone getting a full 50k out of these.

Not sure how Pirelli warranties the "up to" part of the 50k number. Will be interesting to see what results people get when they try and push back on that.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

At almost 4k, 20" OEM fronts are trending towards a final mileage of 18k, and rears are trending towards 22.5k. With proper rotation will likely get 20k, rotate every 5k...sounds like some have been able to get ~25k-30k.

Conserve mode causes the increased front tire wear...if using conserve best that there is limited acceleration/deceleration (should just be highway cruising). I'm beginning to think that conserve mode should only be used when absolutely needed to extend range by ~10-15% to get to next charger...

$0.10 per mile is crazy, will definitely be moving to 275/60R20 (most likely the Grabber HTS60, ~2.4 mi/kwh or Continental Terraincontact H/T, ~2.3 mi/kwh since both tires are closer to the ideal width of 9")...Scorpion AS+3, ~2.5 mi/kwh is also in the mix, but it's only 8.3" wide...anecdotally, I've found slightly wider tires tend to last longer on EVs, all other things being equal...likely due to a wider contact patch distributing the weight more evenly...

Godilocks zone appears to be tires greater than 8.5" wide, 275/60R20, UTQG >700, and lightweight less than 45 pounds. Only one option at that point, TERRAINCONTACT H/T (275/60R20 - 50 PSI max)

Anyone have that tire yet?

Last edited:

Mooeymoose

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
MD
I would be very happy with 25k miles. My wife’s 2020 GLE with with 20” with Alenza Sport A/S RFT lasted 14K.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I replaced my 22” Sport tires at 12,000 miles. Consider yourself lucky!

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Like any vehicle, if your tires are wearing out fast check your alignment, balance, and make sure you're keeping your tires inflated to recommended pressure. Tire wear is usually a diagnostic of these problems. Rivian is no different than other vehicles in this respect. If you blame it on Conserve mode or "crappy" tires or a heavy vehicle without investigating the typical causes of tire wear and without introspection on the way you drive, you're doing yourself a disservice.

My 20" all have 9/32 remaining at ~20k miles, as measured by the tire shop. That includes at least 5k miles in Conserve.

Because there are many ways you can wear out your tires faster than expected, including the way you drive, it's not surprising to hear that some people get a large amount of wear. But it would be very difficult or even impossible to deliberately make tires wear *less* than expected - so I don't think there's anything that I personally am doing that makes me an exception here.

There are lots of posts in the forum from people getting 30k, 35k, 40k, or more from the 20" OEM.

Not sure how Pirelli warranties the "up to" part of the 50k number.
OEM tires on a new vehicle are almost never subject to the tire manufacturer's warranty. That's been true of every car I've ever purchased, and it is called out explicitly in every tire warranty document I've seen online. So no, your OEM Rivian tires are not covered by a warranty. However, your replacement tires almost certainly ARE covered by a pro-rated warranty if purchased and installed at an authorized reseller - but you should check before you buy.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
There are lots of posts in the forum from people getting 30k, 35k, 40k, or more from the 20" OEM.

OEM tires on a new vehicle are almost never subject to the tire manufacturer's warranty. That's been true of every car I've ever purchased, and it is called out explicitly in every tire warranty document I've seen online. So no, your OEM Rivian tires are not covered by a warranty. However, your replacement tires almost certainly ARE covered by a pro-rated warranty if purchased and installed at an authorized reseller - but you should check before you buy.
Yeah I don't anticipate going through my first set of tires for another year. I keep them balanced, properly inflated and in alignment and they seem to be good so far. I was responding to a post above where someone mentioned the 50k number on the stock Pirelli's in hopes of getting a warranty claim. I've never heard of someone getting OEM tires replaced for wear, only in rare circumstances for a specific defect.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
My friend in KC who has the exact same configuration as my truck is telling me their tires need to be replaced by 25,000 miles. The current tread measurement is as followed:
DF: 3,4,4. PF: 3,4,5
DR: 7,6,2. PR: 7,6,3

I’ve heard about this in two other cases as well, now very concerned about my own truck. The shop Rivian service center is saying she needs to pay for four new tires, but this is ridiculous, aren’t they supposed to last up to 50,000 miles? I know that driving behaviors can change it, but this is insane.
I'm assuming that's millimeters you're talking about? Minimum tread depth is typically set at 2/32", which is a bit over 1.5 mm. So those tires are getting there, but they still aren't at the wear bars.

That said, I don't like to go down to the wear bars on my vehicles, so I usually get new tires before they wear that low, which for me means about 30,000 miles of use. And that's on a fulltime 4wd 5,000 lb SUV, so lighter than a Rivian and I'm still wearing the tires pretty quickly.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
I'm assuming that's millimeters you're talking about? Minimum tread depth is typically set at 2/32", which is a bit over 1.5 mm. So those tires are getting there, but they still aren't at the wear bars.

That said, I don't like to go down to the wear bars on my vehicles, so I usually get new tires before they wear that low, which for me means about 30,000 miles of use. And that's on a fulltime 4wd 5,000 lb SUV, so lighter than a Rivian and I'm still wearing the tires pretty quickly.
My 20 stock tires lasted 22,000 miles. My Michelin CrossClimate 2 replacement tires have 35,000 miles on them and were 9/32 at last rotation. Just my opinion, but the Pirelli's stink. I don't have suspension on auto though, and rarely drop down to drive (even on interstate). Dropping down shifts the vehicle weight to the inside of the tire dramatically increasing wear. Lots more damage than conserve.

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

My experience was 15k…. Outrageous, though I do take some blame for that

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Wonder if the new Defender LTX 2's will do better then what some see with the OEM tires. It has a 70k warranty and is "EV compatible" so would think Michelin would honor the warranty. Fingers crossed the 21" size is released as forecasted this summer.

Have not tried and don't plan to with the Rivian, but the last two cars, tire shop has honored warranty and given credit on a new set of tires when the OEM's had to get replace earlier.
Sponsored