First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I would also point out for long term wear. For many years a lot of suvs like grand cherokee, explorers, gmcs, etc would have the rotors warp after just a few thousand miles because if driving a styles and excessive heat buildup. It is pretty rare for rotors to get turned instead of replaced these days, but the trend in larger rotors and pads has made them hold up better. Possible rivian is going for super low maintenance here

I think the reduced wear due to regenerative breaking will make this a non issue.

I remember talking to early Prius owning Taxi Drivers in San Francisco and they said that alone made the Prius an unmitigated success as an SF taxi. The cost of maintaining the brakes on an ICE taxi was brutal and SO dirty.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I think the reduced wear due to regenerative breaking will make this a non issue.

I remember talking to early Prius owning Taxi Drivers in San Francisco and they said that alone made the Prius an unmitigated success as an SF taxi. The cost of maintaining the brakes on an ICE taxi was brutal and SO dirty.

Agree, but there are a lot of people that have two speeds when driving: Gas/brake so I think it will help with that.

At the end of the day, I like the bigger brakes/pads/rotors for performance and the longevity. I'm not planning on aftermarket wheels or anything though.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Agree, but there are a lot of people that have two speeds when driving: Gas/brake so I think it will help with that.

At the end of the day, I like the bigger brakes/pads/rotors for performance and the longevity. I'm not planning on aftermarket wheels or anything though.
Agree, IMO bigger breaks are almost always a good thing. I am wondering if I am going to need to sets of wheels and tires for Summer winter.

Thats a lot of $$$$

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I would also point out for long term wear. For many years a lot of suvs like grand cherokee, explorers, gmcs, etc would have the rotors warp after just a few thousand miles because if driving a styles and excessive heat buildup. It is pretty rare for rotors to get turned instead of replaced these days, but the trend in larger rotors and pads has made them hold up better. Possible rivian is going for super low maintenance here
Regenerative braking should offset the weight increase, even when towing. I would not think that a Rivian would need larger brake calibers/disks than ANY ICE vehicle.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Has anyone seen any info on whether Rivian has a position on tire chains? I own off-grid properties that often require chains in the winter to get into in my 4Runner.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I think it would be limited by the wheel type more than the vehicle with clearances etc. I think for the sport wheels/tires you would need to go with a snowsock or zip ties, both which seem very effective. For the other tires/wheels you should be able to use chains as long as you have the clearance.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Regenerative braking should offset the weight increase, even when towing. I would not think that a Rivian would need larger brake calibers/disks than ANY ICE vehicle.
Regenerative braking is unavailable when the battery is fully charged. That dissipation of energy has to go somewhere.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

... and while many people will use the regenerative breaking just like they use coasting now in a regular vehicle, there are plenty of people that tend to drive cars with the gas on the floor or the brake on the floor and nothing in between.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I regenerate with the Bolt and as my first experience it is great. I hope the R1T is equal or better.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... and while many people will use the regenerative breaking just like they use coasting now in a regular vehicle, there are plenty of people that tend to drive cars with the gas on the floor or the brake on the floor and nothing in between.
The first time you begin lifting your foot from the accelerator and feel the car begin slowing (as opposed to coasting) you "get" the idea of regenerative braking and adjust to it in about 5 minutes.

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T
Occupation
Physician
How do AT's fare on pavement in the rain compared to AS's? I ask because heavy rains are something I will encounter in south Florida much more than rough terrain.
AT's are great in our South Florida summer deluges. Any tire with a deeper tread resists hydroplaning.

discsinthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Element
The first time you begin lifting your foot from the accelerator and feel the car begin slowing (as opposed to coasting) you "get" the idea of regenerative braking and adjust to it in about 5 minutes.
Is regen braking one of the reasons behind accelerated tire wear on EVs? Reading through some of these threads has me wondering if I do a lot more coasting than the normal person, and if there can be a similar experience in an EV. Can you coast in an EV or is it always either accelerating or decelerating?

I think I'm a fairly efficient ICE driver (light acceleration, try to use the brake as little as possible, etc.), and wondering if those habits will have any benefit in the EV space?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Is regen braking one of the reasons behind accelerated tire wear on EVs? Reading through some of these threads has me wondering if I do a lot more coasting than the normal person, and if there can be a similar experience in an EV. Can you coast in an EV or is it always either accelerating or decelerating?

I think I'm a fairly efficient ICE driver (light acceleration, try to use the brake as little as possible, etc.), and wondering if those habits will have any benefit in the EV space?
No, the tire wear is most assuredly people enjoying the significant torque from every stop. My wife gives me grief for 10 minutes straight about the cost of tire replacement whenever we get home and she let me drive the i3 for example.

Braking, whether by an abrading disc or a motor run in reverse (regen) has the same relative effects in that it is slowing the wheel by an opposing force. Coasting is easy to do - you just leave your foot where it is and then start the slow down closer to where you want to slow and stop. This become a natural act quickly and you find yourself estimating when to let up on the pedal knowing it'll come to a stop.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

Accelerated tire wear on EVs is closely tied to both the LRR tires (usually lighter with less rubber/tread) and the instant torque of electric motors.

Light acceleration and braking will have benefits for tire wear. Regen is just another form of braking.
Sponsored