Sponsored

Tires. All Season or All-Terrain?

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Zoom in and scroll through (swipe left) these photos of the South American trip R1Ts. The show/event models have all had Pirelli Scorpion ATs, but the white truck has Pirelli Scorpion All-Season tires. Will no doubt be an option in the configurator and something to consider. AS = less rolling resistance and better range/mileage vs. knobby ATs = better off road and weather traction. Plus I like the way the ATs look! Choices to ponder, I guess. There’s also the price difference to consider.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Is it me or does that first picture of the white Rivian look to be an R1S? The roof line appears to extend beyond the rear passenger door C pillar. If so, then these are not pics of the Rivians, at least the white one, that was in South America as I don't recall the R1S making that trip. Plus, Rivian just revealed revealed (via Twitter) the other day the R1S in white. Looks like they had it out for display at some small event. I suspect this is probably the same white R1S posted and discussed in another thread in this forum which appears to have the All-Season tires. None the less, we have seen pics with AT tires and now AS tires on prototypes, whether they make it to production as an option .....

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I would like to see the data before deciding. If range impact is negligible, I might go with AT.

The other thing to consider is road noise from the tires. I know Rivian is targeting best in class NVH (noise, vibration, & harshness), so I'm curious how quiet the cabin will be in general.

I will definitely opt for 20" wheels vs the 22", and would consider switching tires if needed. The 275/65/20 has AT, road, & even studded snow tire options, and is a little over an inch taller than the 275/50/22.

I honestly don't think AT tread will gain you anything offroad with the Rivians, so it will largely be a range, noise, & aesthetic decision.

OP
OP
SpinDoc7

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Is it me or does that first picture of the white Rivian look to be an R1S? The roof line appears to extend beyond the rear passenger door C pillar. If so, then these are not pics of the Rivians, at least the white one, that was in South America as I don't recall the R1S making that trip. Plus, Rivian just revealed revealed (via Twitter) the other day the R1S in white. Looks like they had it out for display at some small event. I suspect this is probably the same white R1S posted and discussed in another thread in this forum which appears to have the All-Season tires. None the less, we have seen pics with AT tires and now AS tires on prototypes, whether they make it to production as an option .....
I think you’re right, now that I look closer.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think you’re right, now that I look closer.
Definitely an R1S. The c-pillar very definitely reflects the SUV, as do the wheels.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
The 275/65/20 has AT, road, & even studded snow tire options.
The new Nokian Hakkapeliita LT3 tire comes in that size and was designed for heavy 4x4's and pickup trucks, so I think that it would be a perfect fit for the R1S and R1T during the winter season. I've had Nokian tires on my AWD Toyota Sienna for a while and I can attest to the fact that they're great in the snow.

Alan Burns

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 GMC Terrain, 1967 Chevrolet 1/2 ton p/u
The Nokian tires studless snow tires I see at my local dealer are sourced from Russia.

I just bought some Toyo all season tires made in Tennessee.

Alan
Missoula

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
I don't consider AT tires to be knobby, MT tires are

My favorite tire is a Toyo ATII. Last set I used on my Tundra I got 100K miles and its a 60K tire, I did rotate each oil change ( 5k miles)

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I don't consider AT tires to be knobby, MT tires are

My favorite tire is a Toyo ATII. Last set I used on my Tundra I got 100K miles and its a 60K tire, I did rotate each oil change ( 5k miles)
Agreed, and have had a similar experience. I’ve had Toyo M/T’s, Nitto Trail Grapplers, and Toyo ATII’s. I plan to throw the ATII’s on the Rivian when it arrives (depending on available tire/wheel packages). Great tire.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm on my second set of Toyo Open Country ATII on my Duramax. They've been great tires & look good too!

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
The Nokian tires studless snow tires I see at my local dealer are sourced from Russia.
Based on some of the car crash videos I've seen from Russia, they really ought to keep as many of those tires in Russia as they can. :facepalm:

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
Depends what you are going for. Getting up rocky trails to remote sites, putting your drift boat in the river at muddy launches, obviously AT. Taking the kids to school and daily driver? A/S. But they are designing these to be seriously capable, if thats all you're going to do then you don't need a Rivian and there are plenty of other electric vehicles out there that are much cheaper and will get better efficiency on smaller all season tires. Seems to me that all-terrain tires are the "right" tire for these trucks. But I'm 100% sure you'll be able to choose. You can spec a Toyota 4'runner with all seasons. But whenever I see one of those "limited" edition 4'runners on 20" rims with all seasons, I definitely raise an eyebrow.
;)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've wheeled trucks & jeeps in all sorts of offroad conditions, and AT tires don't perform much better than AS, if at all. ATs get caked/slicked with mud just as easily, and AS do just fine on most trails & rocks.

Plus, the quad motor & precise traction will all but negate any "traction" benefit of ATs. Not to mention that most folks will be on pavement 90% of the time.

With that said, ATs look better & I might run them anyway...just like I do on my diesel truck.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
How do AT's fare on pavement in the rain compared to AS's? I ask because heavy rains are something I will encounter in south Florida much more than rough terrain.
Sponsored