Sponsored

Tired of waiting - buy one here?? wait for something better?

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

I can't really offer advice, but I can share my experience.

I was slow to commit and despite falling in love with the truck in 2020 while watching Long Way Up, I didn't put in a reservation until July of 2022. As I saw the delays and slow deliveries pile up, I started looking at the used market in earnest. The one thing I told myself is that I would *not* contribute to the over-inflated market price.

Ultimately, we found a dealership in Dallas (only 30 miles away) that was selling three R1Ts for very nearly MSRP. As near as I can tell, they were slightly above MSRP for pre-hike pricing, but actually below MSRP to put together the same build with current pricing, so we visited the dealership and ended up getting our R1T for a fair and reasonable price. We paid $83,000 (before TTL) for an El Cap R1T with only 3,000 miles, sport dark 22s, a full sized spare, and a (still working) tonneau cover.

We have no regrets about our decision to buy used and are perfectly happy with the truck and the price we paid for it. Even the transfer of ownership was nearly seamless, taking at most three days to get it assigned to my account.

Honestly, the only hitch was that the two keycards had been lost somewhere in the shuffle and we had to order replacements, which took a couple of weeks to work out. They finally arrived this weekend (after a month of ownership), and so now we have a completely new experience, well ahead of schedule.

Rivian R1T R1S Tired of waiting - buy one here?? wait for something better? IMG_6638
Sponsored

gordonrands

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius Plug-in hybrid, 1997 Dodge Dakota
Occupation
university professor
Clubs

Why am I waiting when I have pre March 21 pricing?

1. Because I really want the range of the max pack, and so am waiting for the dual max (not Enduro). I want to drive to Alaska and across Canada and the US far more than I want to go extreme off roading.

2. Because I am still trying to build up the size of my down payment.

3. Because I also have a CT and a Silverado EV reservation, and have never bought anything just to flip it in my life. I had an early Lightning reservation that I passed on for that reason. I'd like to actually make the best choice, not the fastest one and then regret it. (Although with a CT reservation # under 600, I think I can safely buy the CT and flip it for a profit if it turns out that I'd rather have something else -- which based on the looks I certainly would, but I'm willing to withhold judgement until I see how it drives.) And at this rate, I am beginning to think that the CT might actually be ready before the dual max R1T, amazingly enough.

4. Because I hope that by the time I the dual max is available and I've decided it is the one to buy that that R1T will qualify for the battery portion of the tax credit. (With 4/19 pricing I can get a dual max R1T for 80K by foregoing the cool paint colors -- sigh).

5. Because I'm still working for two more years and thus don't have tons of adventure traveling planned until retirement.

6. Because my plug in Prius with 277K+ miles on it keeps rolling along, even though I'd far rather be driving an EV.

7. Because once you've been waiting this long, what's another 9-10 months?