Sponsored

Tired of waiting - buy one here?? wait for something better?

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Let me say first, I'm not cancelling, but the mental games of waiting are getting worse daily.

Right now, delivery window is Dec 23 -if they don't move it again. So my mind goes over 3 options -

Buy one local. The high end car dealer I drive by daily has 3 R1S sitting on the lot - including one with the right options per their listings. Yes it will cost me a premium, but I could have it TODAY, not basically a year or more from now. This one just pisses me off at this point. Rivian - great job on delivery to a reseller. They have R1T too incase I wanted to go that route instead.

Wait for something better. 5 years ago - Rivian was the name in the game when you didn't want to buy that "T" brand of car. I'm sure none of us honestly thought we would be waiting 4-5 years. Since then a number of brands have come out with EV models that are appealing. But that's not even what gets me thinking. If I wait, I'll get 3 years max out of the Rivian before some other manufacturer comes out with something with improved battery technology. Maybe a Max Pack like we all wanted. Maybe a new tech that charges in 15 minutes and has 500 mile range (I know, Sodium batters are a ways off but 3-5 years at most and 1 of those is waiting for my R1S). Who knows, Jeep might even get off their dumb butt by then and go EV and I'll just trade in my JGC.

Or - just wait and keep waiting. I mean something else could catch my eye in the mean time or it could finally show up in the driveway. To be fair, waiting has already started to cost me money. I'd planned on having my Rivian a long time ago and I've had a few major repairs on the JGC since (who knew and alternator could cost that much). At 120k miles, it's going to start having more issues.

What is keeping you waiting vs one of these options?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The tech will always be outdated shortly after purchase. Isn't that what happens with every early adopter? There is always a reason to wait for the next big thing.

I understand the frustration but only you can decide if waiting or purchasing now is best for you. If you want a Rivian now and you don't need the S over a T, buying a slightly used T is actually a pretty good value right now. They are selling for less than a newly configured truck would cost you.

I'm not clear on how it's Rivian's fault that someone purchased those R1Ss and then sold them to a dealer? They have no control over that.

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not clear on how it's Rivian's fault that someone purchased those R1Ss and then sold them to a dealer? They have no control over that.
I'm not sure what this means? They are all new with less than 100 miles on them. Are you saying people put in their reservations and then sold them to the dealer as soon as they got them? This is even more depressing.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm not sure what this means? They are all new with less than 100 miles on them. Are you saying people put in their reservations and then sold them to the dealer as soon as they got them? This is even more depressing.
Don't buy from a reseller if you don't want to encourage resales, that's about all I can suggest.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I folded like a lawn chair, paid a premium at the peak well above whatever you are considering, and am happy as hell.

Signed,

Dumb and Happy
Premium - yes these are all listed around $117k, so easily 20k markup from current Rivian prices.

Are you saying you paid that much, just curious.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Premium - yes these are all listed around $117k, so easily 20k markup from current Rivian prices.

Are you saying you paid that much, just curious.
No did not pay that much for the R1T even in Aug 2022.

Nor would I pay that much for the R1S in Feb 2023 when more than a handful of R1S have sold recently for $95k - $105k on Cars and Bids, excluding the $4.5k auction fee.

https://carsandbids.com/search/rivian/r1s

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Yes, many people flip a brand new unique vehicle. It happened with the R1T for the first 3-4 months before it tapered off. Unless you were suggesting Rivian sold these vehicles directly to the dealership? That would be a first. Plus why would they do that?

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

I bought my R1T from a dealer and paid about $102k. This was much less than my Tesla model S plaid and I am really glad I did it. It was a launch edition and then I just had to shop for crossbars. I’m very happy I did and am enjoying the vehicle way more than I expected.

OP
OP
RBR1S

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, many people flip a brand new unique vehicle. It happened with the R1T for the first 3-4 months before it tapered off. Unless you were suggesting Rivian sold these vehicles directly to the dealership? That would be a first. Plus why would they do that?
I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't. Filling orders if filling orders isn't it? If that dealership put in their $1000 and put in an order, perhaps even a "fleet order" (ie business multipack = $$$$ guaranteed).

I always thought the more owners the lower the value. What do I know.... Aside from the fact that 4 R1S sitting there now is frustrating for those waiting for orders to be fulfilled.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I guess I don't understand why they wouldn't. Filling orders if filling orders isn't it? If that dealership put in their $1000 and put in an order, perhaps even a "fleet order" (ie business multipack = $$$$ guaranteed).

I always thought the more owners the lower the value. What do I know.... Aside from the fact that 4 R1S sitting there now is frustrating for those waiting for orders to be fulfilled.
I’m not saying it’s impossible. I just feel like we would have heard about this via some big mouthed dealership employee. To me it’s far more likely they were buying them from S owners looking to flip and make some easy cash.

Tremelune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bunch
Am I missing something? There are dozens of R1Ts for $80-90k across the country with less than 10k miles on them. One went for $73k this week on BaT. Launch Edition, Adventure pack...quad motors with the large battery. They all have transferable warranties from Rivian, right?

We're looking at a year wait, or buying a lightly-used example with the same spec or better for under MSRP. I think if you're seeing six-digit prices, they're stuck in the bubble.

Unless you're dead-set on a small or max battery, I think it's looking good for buyers this year. Car prices are plummeting. Pandemic flipping days are over.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Am I missing something? There are dozens of R1Ts for $80-90k across the country with less than 10k miles on them. One went for $73k this week on BaT. Launch Edition, Adventure pack...quad motors with the large battery. They all have transferable warranties from Rivian, right?

We're looking at a year wait, or buying a lightly-used example with the same spec or better for under MSRP. I think if you're seeing six-digit prices, they're stuck in the bubble.

Unless you're dead-set on a small or max battery, I think it's looking good for buyers this year. Car prices are plummeting. Pandemic flipping days are over.
If I was on a long wait queue for an R1T, I would 100% being on the hunt every day for a $80k or less used unit with low miles. No question, period.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
RT1s with 500 miles or less are selling for just under $90k here.

Last edited:

Tremelune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bunch
"Here" is somewhat immaterial...It's $2-3k to ship a car across the US, and less if you fly and drive.

I recognize that not all examples are equal for a given spec/mileage, but the warranty seems like it levels the playing field—major issues would be covered on a car couldn't be seen in person.

If I can save $5-10k by not buying near expensive cities, it seems worth the hassle.
Sponsored