Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I have about 6000 miles on a set of 21”s I bought for road trips. The tires were brand new, I bought the complete set off a forum member a few months back.

I recently completed a 3000+ trip to TX with the 21’s. That trip plus a camping trip and some other local running around got me to about 6000 miles on these tires.

I use Conserve pretty much all the time on the freeway. In town I use All Purpose mostly. I typically switch to Conserve from All Purpose when I’ve already entered whatever freeway I’m traveling on and then switch back to AP when I exit the freeway.

I usually travel at around 80MPH on the freeway. The trip to TX much of the time I was going faster. I also had 2 motorcycles in the bed adding weight and wind resistance and therefore more work for the drive wheels. How to quantify the additional work, I do not know.

I swapped back to my 20”s yesterday and checked the ear on the 21’s. There is a 1mm difference, with the front drive wheels being at 4mm to the wear bar compared to 5mm to the wear bar for the rears.

So this tells me that for sure the drive wheels are wearing more quickly, no surprise. But also if I rotated them I would have very decent tire life from the set. Obviously when I remount them, I will rotate them.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but it’s just an PSA for anyone who cares. I added the photos but it’s really difficult to see the difference in tread.

Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear using Conserve Mode after ~ 6000 miles IMG_0791

Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear using Conserve Mode after ~ 6000 miles IMG_0790
Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Assuming the new tires are at 10/12, at this rate you will need new tires in 3k more miles! If one needs to drive in significant snow/rain, the tires are 1 mm away from EOL. I thought 15k miles was normal for 21s.

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Assuming the new tires are at 10/12, at this rate you will need new tires in 3k more miles! If one needs to drive in significant snow/rain, the tires are 1 mm away from EOL. I thought 15k miles was normal for 21s.
I’m pretty sure that the new depth is nowhere near 10-12mm. I would guess more like 7-8mm. Maybe someone with a new set of 21’s can speak to that. I did not measure prior to mounting the 21’s but I’m very confident that with rotation, 15,000 miles is obtainable.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I’m pretty sure that the new depth is nowhere near 10-12mm. I would guess more like 7-8mm. Maybe someone with a new set of 21’s can speak to that. I did not measure prior to mounting the 21’s but I’m very confident that with rotation, 15,000 miles is obtainable.
My bad. New tires are usually 11/32 inches. I confused that with 11 mm.

Operator

First Name
Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
10/32 new, according to Tire Rack.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Well, at least your future new tires should come with some sort of tread wear warranty, looks like it will be needed too o_O

Odd.. if you look at the 20"s on Tire Rack they come with a 50K/unlimited time mi tread wear warranty, if you look at the 21's... there is no tread wear warranty?

Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear using Conserve Mode after ~ 6000 miles 1682906606666

Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear using Conserve Mode after ~ 6000 miles 1682906746673

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

The real question is there is a difference in depth from the interior to exterior tread of a tire. I think it's obvious running front wheel only will evenly wear the fronts a bit more, but the concern others have is more about increased camber running in lowest, and if it is wearing the inside of the tires more.

That said, I do the same as you, conserve lowest on the highway, then back to all purpose (usually low) once exiting. But I think thanks to my heavy right foot in stop and go city driving, I probably wear the rears more on launches, so I think it kind of cancells out.

I'm almost at 25k mi now and by far majority of them are conserve lowest on the highway, and I haven't measured precisely yet but I can't visually see a difference in wear.

Sponsored

OP
OP

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The real question is there is a difference in depth from the interior to exterior tread of a tire. I think it's obvious running front wheel only will evenly wear the fronts a bit more, but the concern others have is more about increased camber running in lowest, and if it is wearing the inside of the tires more.

That said, I do the same as you, conserve lowest on the highway, then back to all purpose (usually low) once exiting. But I think thanks to my heavy right foot in stop and go city driving, I probably wear the rears more on launches, so I think it kind of cancells out.

I'm almost at 25k mi now and by far majority of them are conserve lowest on the highway, and I haven't measured precisely yet but I can't visually see a difference in wear.
Oh yeah, good point the tire wear is very even. Looks to be evenly worn across the tire. And no cupping either.
The alignment on the truck is very good. My steering wheel has been ever so slightly off since new, but it is less so with the 20’s than the 21’s. That’s not uncommon though with any vehicle.

Last edited:

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

MNLanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 1989 MB 560SL
Speaking of tire rotation... is anyone aware of a need to change/modify when the tires should be rotated on a vehicle (R1S in my case) that is this heavy? My driving tends to be fairly equally split between highway and in-town, stop-n-go driving?

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I had to put new front tires on my truck at 10K miles, used conservative 90% of the time since almost all my driving was on road trips.
Sponsored