capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hi All-

I have 6k miles on my R1T now, loving the truck and got it in late Feb, 15x vin.

I am due for a tire rotation and noticed there seems to be excess wear on the outside edge of the front tires. Photos below. Is this the typical wear pattern or should I get the SC to do an alignment? The car drives straight and the wheel is straight.

front right:

Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear: normal or need alignment? IMG_2303

Front left:
Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear: normal or need alignment? IMG_2304

Front left:
Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
I honestly can't even tell. Do you have a tread depth gauge? That would be the tool to tell you exactly what your tire wear is.

Also, would the SC do an alignment under warranty if you asked? If not, you could just go to any tire shop and get an alignment done? Might be cheaper than way and they are probably better at alignments than the SC is.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Just a thought and I don't know the answer. What level do you drive the truck the most at and what level is Rivian using when the alignment is done.? Camber changes as a vehicle ride height changes. If you drive at different height all the time, than what the vehicle was aligned at, maybe that could affect tire wear. Like I said, someone smarter than me might be able to shed some light on this.

OP
OP

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just a thought and I don't know the answer. What level do you drive the truck the most at and what level is Rivian using when the alignment is done.? Camber changes as a vehicle ride height changes. If you drive at different height all the time, than what the vehicle was aligned at, maybe that could affect tire wear. Like I said, someone smarter than me might be able to shed some light on this.
Thanks - 95% All-purpose, but it does do the auto adjust at speed thing, so I suppose the high speed driving is at low and the city is as normal.

Does Americas/Discount do Rivian work? I thought I recall they were a preferred vendor of some kind.

Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
Thanks - 95% All-purpose, but it does do the auto adjust at speed thing, so I suppose the high speed driving is at low and the city is as normal.

Does Americas/Discount do Rivian work? I thought I recall they were a preferred vendor of some kind.
Same here - seems that Auto settings (that also enable the Kneel feature that I like) will drive in Low (not the lowest) on the highway.

As all alignments seem to be done using standard height, theoretically this should create non-even wear. Said that you just have 6k miles, and I guess only part of this was done on the highway.

So not sure if Auto was a cause ...

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Front tires will also take more wear on the outside shoulders as the tire initiates turns in that area...thus rotating tires shares that load across all the tires over their lifetime.

That being said, it does look like there's more wear on the outside of the tires so I'd have the alignment checked. I've seen sketchy alignment issues from the factory so a good alignment will let you know what's up for sure. Like others have said, it'll be faster, cheaper, and also likely better quality if an dedicated tire shop does the alignment over the SC.

OP
OP

capitolm94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks, got a tire gauge and the front right is 5 or so on the outside and 6 inside, back is about 6.5 both.

gonna have americas tire take a look when they rotate.
Sponsored