Sponsored

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think I had 8/32 all around on my first rotation at 7K miles on my 21”. I think those start at 10/32. Looking to get hopefully 35K with 5 wheel rotation strategy. I think there is a chance. Was hoping for at least 50K. Maybe the rubber gets harder as you go deeper…
Sponsored

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

I'm at 10k miles and all those miles were on conserve mode and i had nowhere near that kind of wear. you can see wear on my tires, but only because the rears look brand new. if there was no rear for reference, you'd say the fronts were pretty new

OP
OP

Herson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
I went longer than I would have liked for rotation of 20 ATs and just got it done at 13k with Discount Tire (fantastic experience, BTW, and they seemed to know their way around Rivian specifics for rotation using pucks for lift, etc.) They didn't call out any unusual/uneven wear or timing for replacement as they often do. All 4 tires still look great. I'd expect to get 25k+ out of whole set given how they look now.
Cool that discount tire took the Rivian job. Did you have to talk them into it or instruct them?

Bmitch24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If you purchased them on your own, not as “original equipment” they would indeed have a treadwear warranty.

https://d3nv2arudvw7ln.cloudfront.n...onsumer_Warranty_J_14Oct2022_official_def.pdf

:asshat:
According to Pirelli, none of the Riv-elect tires have a tread wear warranty. The 21s definitely don't because that tire line has no warranty after 2014. The ATs theoretically should because the Scorpion all terrain plus does, but Pirelli says different. They consider them OEM tires since they are custom for that vehicle. This is confirmed by discount tire and Pirelli directly.

I am in the process of swapping my wheels from 21s to 20s just so I can buy a tire with a tread wear warranty. I decided to get the rivian 20 inch black wheels with tires and will replace with K02s or an all season road tire if I want to get some range back.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
According to Pirelli, none of the Riv-elect tires have a tread wear warranty. The 21s definitely don't because that tire line has no warranty after 2014. The ATs theoretically should because the Scorpion all terrain plus does, but Pirelli says different. They consider them OEM tires since they are custom for that vehicle. This is confirmed by discount tire and Pirelli directly.

I am in the process of swapping my wheels from 21s to 20s just so I can buy a tire with a tread wear warranty. I decided to get the rivian 20 inch black wheels with tires and will replace with K02s or an all season road tire if I want to get some range back.
Thank you for the clarification. I guess the result is the same since no one could buy the Rivian-specific tires without also buying a Rivian or at least a whole set of the tires/ wheels.

So you plan to just use up the Pirellis on your new set before switching?

Sponsored

Bmitch24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thank you for the clarification. I guess the result is the same since no one could buy the Rivian-specific tires without also buying a Rivian or at least a whole set of the tires/ wheels.

So you plan to just use up the Pirellis on your new set before switching?

That is my plan. Problem is that by the time I bought a set of just wheels and a set of tires separately, I'd end up spending more overall, even assuming either better tread life or a warranty. So buying the rivian combo and just replacing fairly early on my dime is still cheaper.

You can get the Rivian specific tires from discount tire if you wanted to as replacements, but Pirelli still wouldn't warranty them. I think either they need to re-write their warranty language to or honor the warranty, but I'm not a lawyer and I'm sure they had a handful of them review the language.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

How can anyone take delivery without a spare tire?
It's either that, or no truck at all, since Rivian has delayed selling the spare tires. Rivian is supposed to sell me the spare tire (and kit) at the original price, when they decide to make it available in the Shop.

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Cool that discount tire took the Rivian job. Did you have to talk them into it or instruct them?
I had a little freak out moment on way to appointment, remembering that there'd be more to the job than just suitable jacks. They didn't ask any questions and the guy didn't act like it was their first. They did the job right next to the lobby where they were in clear view through the window into the garage area so I figured I could chime in if they looked puzzled. It looked like one of the guys had a doc in a folder at station in front of the truck that he was referencing. He brought up a box, opened it and pulled out pucks, they'd set it in service mode (and unset when finished) and had a bunch of people reviewing the job for what seemed like more than Rivian curiosity - hope they didn't do something bad I didn't see but don't think they did.

To boot, they handed me a slip with $0. I asked person at desk why no charge and he got the Rivian confused with other cars I'd had in there by saying rotate/balance is free for tires bought there. When I pointed out I hadn't with the Rivian yet, he simply said I was all set and thanks for letting them help out. They'll definitely get my business for whatever the replacement tires are.

Maybe others haven't but I've had consistently good experiences with Discount Tire at multiple locations.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
I had a little freak out moment on way to appointment, remembering that there'd be more to the job than just suitable jacks. They didn't ask any questions and the guy didn't act like it was their first. They did the job right next to the lobby where they were in clear view through the window into the garage area so I figured I could chime in if they looked puzzled. It looked like one of the guys had a doc in a folder at station in front of the truck that he was referencing. He brought up a box, opened it and pulled out pucks, they'd set it in service mode (and unset when finished) and had a bunch of people reviewing the job for what seemed like more than Rivian curiosity - hope they didn't do something bad I didn't see but don't think they did.

To boot, they handed me a slip with $0. I asked person at desk why no charge and he got the Rivian confused with other cars I'd had in there by saying rotate/balance is free for tires bought there. When I pointed out I hadn't with the Rivian yet, he simply said I was all set and thanks for letting them help out. They'll definitely get my business for whatever the replacement tires are.

Maybe others haven't but I've had consistently good experiences with Discount Tire at multiple locations.
Seems like it's policy to do some free tire rotations in hopes of earning new business, which usually works.

Sponsored

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
There are zero consequences to have 835 horsepower and weigh 7200 pounds.
Oh wait - TIRES. Yeah those are gonna wear.
We'd be eating brake pads too if it weren't for quad motor regen.

See the same thing in sports cars. Tires are the majority of consumables even with light weight cars.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
The other issue causing tire wear is of course regen braking. Heavy regen is analogous to heavy deceleration, so the tires are getting worked both when accelerating hard and normal braking. This seems to be pretty standard on vehicles with aggressive regen.
I've never considered regen attributing to tire wear but makes sense; the Rivian has some pretty strong regen (good for sippin' power) but I guess eats the tires more. Someone smart do a cost analysis on lowering regen to standard mode from high to extend tire longevity. Does the lost recouped energy cost more/less than the improved of tire life?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I use four 10T bottle jacks and my pucks (soon) to rotate tires......
20230311_082220.jpg

20230221_124102.jpg
I'll take one of those pucks! Too bad some of the other have not thought to provide for the bottle jack application.
Sponsored