Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I'll take one of those pucks! Too bad some of the other have not thought to provide for the bottle jack application.
You won't have too wait long.....our new enhanced magnetic jack puck is coming s00n.....
Sponsored

Last edited:

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Seems like the tires have to apply friction to stop the truck regardless of the method used. That friction is the stopping force. Itā€™s either initiated by brakes with a byproduct of wearing the pads and making heat, or itā€™s initiated by the regen motor with a byproduct of charging the battery (and heat). The tire has to stop a 7000 lb truck.

I've never considered regen attributing to tire wear but makes sense; the Rivian has some pretty strong regen (good for sippin' power) but I guess eats the tires more. Someone smart do a cost analysis on lowering regen to standard mode from high to extend tire longevity. Does the lost recouped energy cost more/less than the improved of tire life?

Jeeves

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8, Tesla Model Y, Acura MDX
Occupation
Management Consultant
The traction control does a lot to mask things, but to me the front is intentionally ā€˜understeeryā€™ and that puts a ton of pressure on the front tires. They also do a lot of grappling on hard acceleration even without conserve mode (which I barely use).

7K miles and my fronts are almost down to the wear bars. That beats my record with a Porsche 911. And itā€™s worth it. Iā€™ve loved every mile.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
So at least two new tires every 15K miles?

Check!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Iā€™ve been wondering if the quad motor isnā€™t quite as effective at torque vectoring as is needed for maximal tire wear. Open differentials allow each wheel to rotate at precisely the required speed to execute smooth turns, with each wheel traveling in a slightly different arc and therefore different speed. The quad motor has to do this all by modulating the drive rpm of each motor, so while the turn may feel smooth because the motor rpm is 99% correct for what is required for a smooth turn, that 1% error causes minor skidding which causes tire wear. This part is speculation, but I havenā€™t seen dual motor EVs (which have open diffs) complain about this severe level of tire wear.

The other issue causing tire wear is of course regen braking. Heavy regen is analogous to heavy deceleration, so the tires are getting worked both when accelerating hard and normal braking. This seems to be pretty standard on vehicles with aggressive regen.

This then all makes sense that people with lot of highway driving are getting more normal tire wear, regardless of All Purpose or Conserve driving mode. High speed turns have less variation in wheel speed at each wheel, and highway driving limits the amount of stop and go.
My Bolt EV ate through front tires way quicker than it should. My Cobalt SS ate through front tires way quicker than it should. My Cruze Eco wasn't nearly as bad as the other two were. Power and driving style definitely change the amount of wear you'll experience. Heavy foot in the Rivian will get more tire slip on the front tires than the rear because they are putting about the same amount of power down on each corner and the fronts get unweighted.

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Rotated my Coopers AT3 XLT's in the garage yesterday at 6,200 miles and the tire wear is negligible.
Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear condition at 15k miles, 10 months (photos) 20230330_184228

Rivian R1T R1S Tire wear condition at 15k miles, 10 months (photos) 20230329_124304

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

1/32nd over 6322 miles....
Starts at 16/32, time to change at (gracious) 6/32, that's 63k miles...

NVH and range impact? You have aftermarket wheels, thoughts on using these on stock and inflating so high?

If you've already covered elsewhere, my bad. Feeling too lazy to search tonight šŸ¦„

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Starts at 16/32, time to change at (gracious) 6/32, that's 63k miles...

NVH and range impact? You have aftermarket wheels, thoughts on using these on stock and inflating so high?

If you've already covered elsewhere, my bad. Feeling too lazy to search tonight šŸ¦„
I did the math as well...(but obviously not even remotely realistic).....my main reference for AT tires is my Toyo's from the Tundra (35,000 miles was a win), so I'm hoping for 30K on the Coopers. There just isn't enough data points out there, but wear has been even on both my Scorpions and Coopers.

I run them cold at 60psi, and heated, they are 63-65psi and I'm fine with the ride. Range is within the margin of error over the Scorpions. I'm now convinced we can get close on range if you have Load E tires that have a high operational range in pressure.

My wheels, no discernable range issue (they weigh less, but Coopers 12lbs more each).....I see no issues running higher pressure on the OEM wheels...

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I did the math as well...(but obviously not even remotely realistic).....my main reference for AT tires is my Toyo's from the Tundra (35,000 miles was a win), so I'm hoping for 30K on the Coopers. There just isn't enough data points out there, but wear has been even on both my Scorpions and Coopers.

I run them cold at 60psi, and heated, they are 63-65psi and I'm fine with the ride. Range is within the margin of error over the Scorpions. I'm now convinced we can get close on range if you have Load E tires that have a high operational range in pressure.

My wheels, no discernable range issue (they weigh less, but Coopers 12lbs more each).....I see no issues running higher pressure on the OEM wheels...
So different combinations of aftermarket wheels and tires don't really change much: check.

Sounds like Op needs to work on rotating for frequently for even wear and change out to something else. If I can't time my change with my wife's R1S arrival, I may just take the AS3+ for myself.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

So different combinations of aftermarket wheels and tires don't really change much: check.

Sounds like Op needs to work on rotating for frequently for even wear and change out to something else. If I can't time my change with my wife's R1S arrival, I may just take the AS3+ for myself.
I put the AS3+ on my wifes RX450H......love them on her car. Smooth, handle great, quiet.....fantastic tire. I'm an A/T person for trucks, but that is just me.

Jeeves

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette C8, Tesla Model Y, Acura MDX
Occupation
Management Consultant
Hereā€™s how I see it:
Most sports cars, you maybe do a couple of true max acceleration runs a year. Itā€˜s a mix of mechanical sympathy and not wanting to draw attention.

With the R1T I can do thee 3-second launches just running to the grocery store.

If you did that in a Ferrari youā€™d get a thousand miles out of a set of tires, but not before youā€™d burned through a couple of clutches.

Motinindy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KIA Telluride
Clubs

For what it's worth, I just took delivery of my R1S on 3/29 at the factory in Normal. I had a tour of the plant first which was pretty cool and then meet my delivery guide for a vehicle orientation. He specifically told me that while Conserve mode will get 15% better range as it will diable the rear motors and in effect make it a FWD vehicle, it would also make the front tires wear much faster than the rear. The original post stated that his front tires were wearing out so that is a possible explanation that I have yet to see mentioned

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
ā€¦Conserve mode will get 15% better range as it will diable the rear motors and in effect make it a FWD vehicle, it would also make the front tires wear much faster than the rear. The original post stated that his front tires were wearing out so that is a possible explanation that I have yet to see mentioned
Was asked in the second reply to the original poster on page 1.
Sponsored