CUBldr97

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA MS85 RIVIAN reservation holder
First
Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) rivian rotation
Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) rivian rotation2
rotation at 4600 miles, I drive mostly highway, 80-85mph, 100+ a day...

What was interesting was the front tires measured 9/32" and the rears were 10/32"...
Also in "tire service mode", the suspension dropped so much they could not get the rear tires off the ground, at full extension of the floor jacks, had to put an additional block on the rear floor jacks...
Sponsored

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
No , it’s the type of balancer they have

All of my P cars have centerlocks and require 605 lbs of torque

I invested in a electronic torque gun for installing the nuts , best 5400.00 I have spent on a tool.

Note:
If you have carbon fiber wheels you must use a corgi machine to remove tires as this machine holds the wheel from the center not the rim, Dymag wheels shown.

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 62622570535__C94D8F60-EE11-428C-BA9E-C482F57FF6E3

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) IMG_6827

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

For those that are interested in DIY using a floor jack, I have two (2) HF Daytona Long Reach 3T with a 24 1/2" lift, which means it easily gets the rears off the ground without any block (picture shows tire 2 1/2" off the ground with another 2 1/2" of lift available on the floor jack). Only this floor jack from HF has the 24 1/2" lift so double check on lift height. Just our jack pucks and you are good to go.

Fronts you can use our jack pucks (with bottle jack ports) and a 10T Big Red Hydraulic Bottle Jack from Amazon. This gets the fronts with 20's off the ground no problem as well. I also, use the pictured 4T jack stands. I rotate my 20's every 6500 miles, as mine show no odd wear patterns.

24" Lift Height HF 3T Floor Jack Link

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230523_202113

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230523_202009

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230504_122850

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230504_105748

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) 20230418_151721

Offgrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Went to America’s Tire today to get a nail patched. Sitting in the waiting room manager comes over to me and says we were changing the tire and we heard a pop and now the suspension is leaning. I go out and look and they had that vehicle jack from the lower control arm and not the puck. I specifically told them I had the pucks and the salesman said oh we have two sets. Doesn’t do any good if they don’t use them.

Suspension is now deflated and now I have to take it to a service center. America’s tire did open a claims case so we’ll see how that goes. Last time I had a nail I brought the tire in because I didn’t want them to screw it up. This time I thought they should know how by now.

When I came out and saw that it was being jacked by the control arm I said you know you’re supposed to jack that from the jack points with pucks. The kid said” I don’t know they don’t tell me anything.”

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Went to America’s Tire today to get a nail patched. Sitting in the waiting room manager comes over to me and says we were changing the tire and we heard a pop and now the suspension is leaning. I go out and look and they had that vehicle jack from the lower control arm and not the puck. I specifically told them I had the pucks and the salesman said oh we have two sets. Doesn’t do any good if they don’t use them.

Suspension is now deflated and now I have to take it to a service center. America’s tire did open a claims case so we’ll see how that goes. Last time I had a nail I brought the tire in because I didn’t want them to screw it up. This time I thought they should know how by now.

When I came out and saw that it was being jacked by the control arm I said you know you’re supposed to jack that from the jack points with pucks. The kid said” I don’t know they don’t tell me anything.”
Hmm… I’m sorry to hear about your experience. I just took mine to my local America’s Tire to do a road force balancing. And they knew how to lift the car with the jack pucks. Sucks that the experience isn’t consistent across shops.

Sponsored

Offgrid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah, these things happen. Worst part is I live 3 miles out in the mountains on dirt roads. It’s like driving a Lowrider off roading.

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) IMG_0332

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
I took my R1T in for a tire rotation at Discount Tire last week and found out they did not have the jack pucks for a Rivian. So, I order a set of four Rivigear jack pucks from Amazon. Shortly after my jack pucks arrived, I received a call from the Concord, NC store manager Brian. While there, Brian and I had a friendly chat about EVs and Rivian. He told me that Discount Tire is the preferred tire dealership for Rivian, and working with Rivian, the Discount Tire engineers manufactured special jack pucks for my Rivian.

After about fifteen minutes, my R1T tires had been balanced and rotated. I spent more time showing the features of the R1T to the technicians than the time it took them to balance and rotate my tires.

Good experience; I recommend using Discount Tire for rotation and balancing. Just ensure they have the Discount Tire Rivian jack pucks before showing up. The store manager can order them from the Discount Tire warehouse if they do not have them.
I bought my own pucks. I was on a road trip in Las Vegas and went to 3 discount tire stores there. None of them had a jack that would get the rear tires off the ground. Yes, I followed the instructions and put it in the highest off road mode and tire service. Their Jacks were about 1" short and all the Vegas stores used the same brand. I went to big o tire and they used the 4 post lift with no issue. Btw,I had to "school "every store I went to on how to use the pucks. I wouldn't let any of them drive it because rivian does not have a key (my excuse to keep them out)

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Rivian did a 4-tire rotation at just over 8,000 miles. They did not rotate in the spare because at that point, it was too different. Charged me $60.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
How does one request Rivian to do a tire change? Do they send the mobile tech out or do you have to drive to a service center? $60 is reasonable (for a person like me who has no pucks or jacks at the moment)

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
How does one request Rivian to do a tire change? Do they send the mobile tech out or do you have to drive to a service center? $60 is reasonable (for a person like me who has no pucks or jacks at the moment)
So Americas/Discount tire offers free rotations except for Rivian? Weird. I just paid $40 :(

also they just told me they can only do front to back and back to front— they don’t have enough jacks rated to lift all 4 corners 🤔

Last edited:

Sponsored

Duckman

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
How much do they charge for the rotation? Rivian charges $60.
My Discount tire in Bellingham WA is free. But I have been a regular customer and purchased 4 sets of tires over the years.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Go into the app, in the "Rivian Service" section, and give them a call.
I've done this twice now. Easy to schedule, and no long waits - both times I was able to schedule for the same week, even though waits for "normal" appointments can be up to 3 months.

And at $60+tax, it's cheaper than pucks and you know the service center will do it right. Or at least will be able to fix it if they screw up.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
How much do they charge for the rotation? Rivian charges $60.
Discount Tire didn't even charge me for a rotation. I also had a nail puncture and they patched it for free. I bought a set of pucks with a case and keep it under the back seat for tire shops. You are right, they did not have pucks.

I think they will make thier money back when I need new tires. The tread is wearing quick! I only have 8,000 miles and there is visible wear on the tread. Maybe if I drove slower........

twvette

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My local Discount Tire just got their pucks. Apparently Discount had theirs made themselves per Rivian specs and are distributing them to all stores. It was also mentioned that if you get a low pressure warning the software will show closest Discount Tire automatically in the software soon as part of the partnership.

Last edited:

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Discount Tire is a great business with generally very friendly and helpful team members.

But I don’t take my cars there. Their business model = fast service. I’d prefer someone take their time…too much damage seen from forced expediency.

I’m surprised Rivian is choosing Discount, although they’re so large it’s the easy choice.

We have a very beloved couple of local installers in the ATX area, done (sadly) so much work on my P-car already. Hoping it’s a while before the R1S
Sponsored