Sponsored

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
Probably a dumb question, but what’s the recommended rotation schedule/mileage?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Probably a dumb question, but what’s the recommended rotation schedule/mileage?
Different owners have been told different things by various Rivian SC techs, but the recommendations have been between 5K-8K miles. Best bet is to get a tire tread depth gauge ($20) and keep track of wear, rotate according to wear vs. mi driven.

Eticket99

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC60 T8
Think I was told $200 for tire rotation @ San Diego SC, thought it was outrageous at the time. Person tried to sell it as the lug nuts are easy to damage and need to be done by hand as the reason for the cost and why I should stay away from Discount Tire.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Morale of the story: ensure they DO NOT use the impact wrench on those locking bolts...hand torque only with the torque wrench.
Do they even have a torque wrench at those tire shops? I thought the impact driver was their torque wrench.. when it stops turning it's torqued! Or, maybe I'm confusing them with Jiffy Lube 😞

Sponsored

larrydallas

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus R350, Rivian R1S
Different owners have been told different things by various Rivian SC techs, but the recommendations have been between 5K-8K miles. Best bet is to get a tire tread depth gauge ($20) and keep track of wear, rotate according to wear vs. mi driven.
Just called my local Discount Tire. Store Mgr said normally 5-8K, but he suggested being conservative and going with 4-6K to start and getting a feel for the wear for the first set before setting a rotation plan.

He also recommended that if you’re going to get a spare for rotation, to get 2 instead of just 1 due to the heavy wear EV tires get.

EDIT: He also said they just got their jack pucks in last week, so that’s a decent sign…

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Just called my local Discount Tire. Store Mgr said normally 5-8K, but he suggested being conservative and going with 4-6K to start and getting a feel for the wear for the first set before setting a rotation plan.

He also recommended that if you’re going to get a spare for rotation, to get 2 instead of just 1 due to the heavy wear EV tires get.

EDIT: He also said they just got their jack pucks in last week, so that’s a decent sign…
A lot depends on the type of driving you do.... local stop and go driving with a lot of low speed turns (maneuvering in and out of parking spots and parking lots) is especially wearing on tires vs. more straight line driving on limited access roadways. That's why it's best to get a tread depth gauge and keep track of your actual wear patterns vs. just rotating every XXXX miles driven. Depending on your actual wear measurements, if there's no significant wear difference between front and rear... maybe stretch the rotations to 10K miles. Why rotate tires if it's not needed.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
So what’s the wear number to rotate them at?

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Lol at the 2 spare tire recommendation. Why stop at 2? Might as well get 4 spares!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So what’s the wear number to rotate them at?
Well, on the 20's for instance.. IIRC the tread depth when new is 13/32", so if I measure a difference of over 3/32" I'd probably rotate them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
loucetios

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
OP
OP
loucetios

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
Discount Tire rotations are free - at least they are in Arizona.
I had my tires rotated and balanced for 68 and change. I believe they would have rotated my tires for free if I had purchased them at Discount Tire. My tires were the original tire that came with the truck.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I spent a little bit of time at my local Discount Tire this weekend...
Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) IMG_2366

Rivian R1T R1S Tire Rotation and Balancing -- Discount Tire is Rivian's preferred tire shop (just confirm they have jack pucks) IMG_2437

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Had my first rotation done today at the Discount Tire location in West Mifflin, PA just outside of Pittsburgh. No charge. I called ahead and confirmed they had the pucks. He said they have serviced at least a few Rivians and knew about them and the relationship that Discount Tire has with them. Outstanding service and a definite endorsement and recommendation from me for anyone in SW PA.

CUBldr97

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TESLA MS85 RIVIAN reservation holder
I use Americas tire as they have a road force balancer , both of my P cars have center lock wheels and I have to remove the axle nuts as they don’t have a 605nm torque Gun.

The road force is the best balance so far

GB

I will order the pucks for the Rt and I will have some Titanium Torx70 lug bolts made for the truck .

IMG_0210.png

IMG_0209.png
America's Tire is Discount tire... just different name depending on coast... Like Kroger/ King Soopers grocery....
Sponsored